NitroX infinity

Long Carriages on Standard Rails

I've read multiple times that you can't have locomotives or trains that are too long because the bogies would be to far apart to get around the bend. Today I found myself with inspiration on how to deal with this; allow the connection between the bogey and the train to move from left to right. At first I was thinking about a way that involved Lego Technic and a part that doesn't exist. No good ofcourse.

Then another idea came to me and I created it in LDD because unfortunately, the required parts are not in my possession. So my question is, could someone with the needed parts see if this idea is any good?

Here's the instructions for the 'contraption'. I should note that I forgot to add a final step; the contraption and the train are connected with a technic connector peg (http://cache.lego.co...5/2/4211807.jpg)

Images are thumbnails, click on them for larger;

thumb.png thumb.png thumb.png thumb.png thumb.png

I'm not quite sure what the problem is you're trying to solve...

The problem with long carriages is that if you have double track, they get too close to the inside curve because they get so far outside the track. I don't really see how a sliding bogie connection would resolve that. Can you explain your solution a bit more maybe?

The idea is that when a long carriage moves through a standard sized corner, it could derail because the bogies cannot turn far enough. Allright, if you make an unrealistic model on which the bogies can turn 90 degrees, that's probably not a problem. But when you've got a more realistic train, the bogies are limited in the angle they can turn. By adding this contraption, the angle between the mounting points of the carriages and bogies can be decreased. Allowing for a longer carriage to travel safely through a corner.

I'm with Duq, I cannot see the issue, sorry I don't mean to be unhelpful, but I have carriages that are reasonably realistic in LEGO Terms and they are 46 studs long each. There is plenty of turn on the bogies to get them through the LEGO curves and switches. Yes it does look a little ridiculous due to the sharp bends and overhang, but they do run very well. The only modification that I made over what I would normally use as a bogie on such long wagons was to move the connector buffer/magnet set up out half a stud using a jumper plate. This was to allow for the addition of a modelled corridor connection at the ends of the coaches.

Sorry, I dont have the parts for the moment. I have had the issue you are talking about with train base (BL 2972) and the old 12V wheels (BL 4180c01). The Problem is, that when going around standard corners, the bogeys turn to such a degree that the inner wheels' flanges will tuch/hit/scrape the buttom vertical wall of the train base. That introduces a braking action(almost blocking) to the wheels. The result is power problems when cornering and decoupling. :sceptic:

Would it not be a simpler solution just to not use the standard train bases and to build them from normal plates and put tiles on top of your bogie, that is what I have done as I found the official train bases were nowhere near long enough?

I can see what you mean if you are using those bases, and your idea may work, but it is simpler to just not use them in the first place.