10937…  

176 members have voted

1. 1. …how do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Amazing!

Thanks for an outstanding review. This set makes for a great centre piece to display all the dc mini figures. Ranks at the top with the funhouse as one of the better heroe buildings

It really does look like a simply amazing set, but the simply insane price point (and that's not even the inflated Australian RRP) makes me think that I might Bricklink the Scarecrow, Joker, Penguin and Harley minifigs.

Nice review.

I spent my New Year's Eve building this set, instead of partying and/or going out. Not one regret here and I'd bet a brah-zillion bucks (don't know what that translates into Euro or pounds) I had more fun than my friends.

As to the 'facade' feel of the set, I really like it. It gives two, distinct play areas that both look really spread out. It also lends itself to future MOC add-ons, which I two planned.

The interior details are a blast and even though I have seen some criticize Harley's bureau, I think it is those sort of details that show TLG's commitment to actually 'knowing' their product. Getting a little of Harley's origin story in the set is just very cool, imo.

It really does look like a simply amazing set, but the simply insane price point (and that's not even the inflated Australian RRP) makes me think that I might Bricklink the Scarecrow, Joker, Penguin and Harley minifigs.

At which point it becomes something like "am I really willing to spend $20+ on each single minifigure?"...

At which point it becomes something like "am I really willing to spend $20+ on each single minifigure?"...

Instantly, sucks, that's why I buy the sets, some of the figures cost more than the sets they come in cost.

Edited by Neville longbottem

I really like this set so I'll get it. The techniques are incredible, I'm surprised at how some people give some weird pieces an excellent use. I don't even have many batman minifigs so this is a good start I guess.

Great review - balanced, funny, informative. It helped me decide to get the set after all. I bought the it with some Christmas money and VIP points, which brought it just below the magic psychological £100 barrier.

It is a fun build, and some of the techniques that have gone into it made me smile - the window, the gargoyles, the statues etc. I might mod it slightly - replace the bars to the cells with glass, get some extra pieces to fill the smashed windows near Ivy's cell, move the red phone in the hall onto the guard desk - but that's just personal preference as the Animated series tended to show Arkham cells like that. It's also also a good play item and has got some serious use from my kids since we assembled it.

I've got the same reservations others have expressed about the look of Mr Freeze, especially his face - absence of red goggles and angry face were a deal breaker for us, so the old Freeze head and Hawkeye's were both tried instead before we settled on the old Freeze one. We switched Scarecrow's legs to the same brown as his torso too.

But that's all our tinkering: one of the things that makes this set great is that it allows it!

Great review! Could someone who owns this set take a picture of Scarecrow with a brown hood on, rather than the hat? :sweet:

Edited by Spider-Man

And speaking of the design process, feel free you guys to put together a list of questions about this set in particular - like why did the cell stickers include Poison Ivy and not Catwoman or the Riddler? - and then send them to me. I can try to answer to as many as I can.

And as a curiosity, Bagend's window was designed after mine, not the other way around. ;)

Ahhh after building Bagend and Arkham was wondering which set came first with regards to the window!

Truly stunning set Marcos- congrats its such a wonderfully designed set, and the little details really make it. Really enjoyable build as well.

Dunno if anyone put together a list of questions but would love to hear a bit more about the design process if you were able (though I would guess a lot of the obvious things may come down to simple budget constraints)

Like the reasons behind the cell sticker choices?, was Mr Freeze ever part of the minifigs alloted to the set? Were new guard designs ever considered? Was a modular enclosed style build ever part of the design process for Arkham?...

Great review! Could someone who owns this set take a picture of Scarecrow with a brown hood on, rather than the hat? :sweet:

My wife has the real camera out of town visiting family, so I snapped these with my phone, so sorry that the quality isn't the greatest. HTH.

C2111EA4-799B-49D3-BDAF-45CE6783171F-2600-000001F8023DB748.jpg

5A8D45B3-4258-4BB7-A4C6-E553DB2F548C-2600-000001F7F564AD79.jpg

Awesome set, looking forward to buy it next week. One question though, does Harleen Quinzel come with torso and legs for her Harley Quinn outfit? or is it only her hat that's included in the set?

Awesome set, looking forward to buy it next week. One question though, does Harleen Quinzel come with torso and legs for her Harley Quinn outfit? or is it only her hat that's included in the set?

Just her hat.

I was considering buying this set... then realized I could get all of these for less (ones I happen to need :P):

:/ really I can't get over the price for this set. Seems freakin' absolutely ridiculous no matter how I look at it. It should be 2/3rds the price max. XP

8168013242_2443039cae_z.jpg

8168014962_bcb4df213e.jpg

8103745952_6ed638d451.jpg

8250946561_fd8a61a278.jpg

6780454930_551279d285.jpg

6780454808_9551b10452.jpg

Maybe not all are the most interesting builds :P but geeze. I guess it's because I'm a minifigure guy and the Arkham set has too many repeats...

Edited by BrickG

Went to the LEGO store and copenhagen to buy this (and Funhouse, so I would get harley's outfit). They had 1 box that was 10% off because of small corner damages. Northing I mind but when I got home and opened it there was an extra (good) surprise!

extra%20instruction.jpg

Never had an extra instruction book before =)

Edited by Drudoo

I was considering buying this set... then realized I could get all of these for less (ones I happen to need :P):

:/ really I can't get over the price for this set. Seems freakin' absolutely ridiculous no matter how I look at it. It should be 2/3rds the price max.

[snip]

Maybe not all are the most interesting builds :P but geeze. I guess it's because I'm a minifigure guy and the Arkham set has too many repeats...

This is definatly not a set that you buy for the minifigs. I was more excited about them minifigs in the Mr. Freeze set. But I had always planned on buying both.

Overall I think Arkham looks great, but if you buy it solely for the minifigures, you would definitely be upset. I agree on the repeats, but the new figures are beautiful. I will end up buying this in the long run I think, but I will probably wait until I get other sets first. I love the structure of the building, but I'm sure I'd mod it to be more of a complete building instead of play features, since I won't be playing with it.

I want Scarecrow darn it and not for $20-30 individually. :(

I can live without the Penguin.

So this definitely won't come to Amazon then ?

It probably will be, eventually. Amazon has the "LEGO Exclusive" Haunted House. I know they also had the UCS Imperial Shuttle. Many others too probably

Just a fantastic set. One of these days I'm going to go on a LEGO Batman splurge and pick this up as well as the Freeze set for the complete picture. Thanks for this review!

It probably will be, eventually. Amazon has the "LEGO Exclusive" Haunted House. I know they also had the UCS Imperial Shuttle. Many others too probably

Those were just resellers on Amazon though, not Amazon itself right?

My wife has the real camera out of town visiting family, so I snapped these with my phone, so sorry that the quality isn't the greatest. HTH.

Thanks a lot! That Scarecrow fig is awesome :wub:

Those were just resellers on Amazon though, not Amazon itself right?

I just checked the Haunted House and it says "Sold and Shipped by Amazon." And it is at MSRP with free shipping

I think Exclusive means Exclusive for a limited time. Eventually, other resellers (individuals or companies) will have multiple copies to sell to the public at usually the same price as TLG, but sometimes with sales. Wal-Mart/Target have/had other Modular buildings which were "exclusive" to TLG, so same goes for Amazon. I think they just have to wait a bit before they can actually sell them to give TLG first dibs since it is their product to begin with.

The inside contains a fun but average wordless comic that you can enjoy flipping through once and then never look at again.

So true! This comic actually made the most sense to me of all of them!

Dr. Harleen Quinzel is clearly from Batman: The Animated Series where she's introduced, subsequently goes mad and becomes Harley Quinn.\

Not completely true! She also appears in the comics later on:175px-Quinzel.png

And anyway, the Batman 2 theme is based more off of the comics, anyway, so she's probably a mix of a generic Quinzel uniform, and the face above (or something similar).

Scarecrow has a generic Scarecrow look, but frankly looks amazing! The old one was a bit creepier, but this one is more on the adorably creepy side, which I like.

My thoughts exactly! I like that he is "adorably creepy." Of course, the rope around his neck is more prominent, though....

This little gargoyle deserves special note. Another absolutely inspired use of parts, coming together to make this wonderful little guy (guys, since there are two). When I first saw pictures of the set, I thought it was some new head attachment, but no, just a frog! Brilliant.

I actually noticed it was a frog very quickly! It is quite ingenious, though!

But let's think about this for a second. Ivy already has a dedicated cell upstairs, as does Freeze, as we shall see. So those are useless. I don't know who LEGO could've put instead; since I'm pretty sure Riddler never went to Arkham. Or if he did, then he should be here. Did Catwoman? Lex Luthor? In any case, two of these don't make real sense.

I don't understand this, either, and I think it is the only true con of this set. I would've liked to see one for Riddler with the mugshot replaced by a question mark! I wouldn't care who else was chosen, but Bane normally went to Blackgate. Maybe Catwoman?

The middle room is an examination area. The big black columns make the ceiling feel very high, and the room spacious. Small cramped spaces are scary, but there's something equally creepy about the thought of being experimented on in a cavernous room where your screams could really echo.

Thank, Cloney! I'm scared now! :laugh:

Very nice of LEGO to add this cell, making you want to spend more money on the Mr. Freeze set. Well, I haven't done that yet, so in the meantime they locked up Thi Sen. He can deal with cold, anyway.

I had no idea Thi-Sen was insane!

Great review, Clone O'Patra! I may review it myself in a few weeks when I receive it for my birthday!

Edited by 8BrickMario