Punisher16

REVIEW: 75014 Battle of Hoth

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Set Name: Battle of Hoth

Set #: 75014

Theme: Star Wars

Pieces: 426

Minifigures: 6 (General Rieekan, Luke Skywalker, Hoth Rebel Trooper x2, Snowtrooper x2)

Year of Release: 2013

Price: 64.99 CAD

INTRODUCTION

Hello Eurobricks! Today durring the «rush for Christmas» at Toy’s R Us, I’ve found and purchased the 75014 Battle of Hoth, and I decided to bringing you a review of this set (My first one!).

BOX

The 2013 boxes are dark and green and I’m love it! It was a big sept beyound 2012 an older boxes concerns the graphic design.

At the front of the box, we see the content of this set, and the minifigs.

DSC01845.jpg

Close up on the minifigs...

DSC01847.jpg

Top of the box show us the actual size of the General Rieekan with his cap.

DSC01850.jpg

Back of the box

DSC01852.jpg

After carefully opening the box, good suprise the box is almost full!

CONTENTS

Inside, we are greeted by 3 big empty bags of parts, a bag for the tauntaun, 2 instruction manuals, and a stickers sheet.

DSC01853.jpg

Close up on the stickers sheet...

DSC01854.jpg

On this stickers sheet; 9 stickers in total, 8 for the snowspeeder; control screens (pilot and harpon), engines and outside decals.

The other one for the control screen of General Rieekan desk.

INSTRUCTIONS

The front of the 2 manuals shows us the front of the box.

DSC01857.jpg

The first pages of the first one show us a new "don't open all bags" visual, and a "how to use the Brickseparator" with a QR code for an how-to I supposed (I haven’t try it). After that, we have the bag repartition.

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01859.jpg

Bags repartition.

DSC01860.jpg

Here, the pages showing the brick list.

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

THE BUILD

In the first bag, we get to build Luke new minifigure, and the Snowspeeder;

DSC01910.jpg

DSC01911.jpg

One step of construction:

DSC01881.jpg

Under the ship, we have that type of parts... (First time I see that!)

DSC01878.jpg

The snowspeeder finished:

DSC01885.jpg

Harpoon improvement :thumbup:

DSC01886.jpg

Other Minifigs:

DSC01884.jpg

Nice printed heads for Snowtroopers :wink:

General Rieekan in the bag n°3

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

The probe droid:

DSC01897.jpg

The Echo base trench:

DSC01902.jpg

DSC01900.jpg

DSC01901.jpg

Overall of the set

DSC01899.jpg

Spare parts...

DSC01892.jpg

RATINGS

Functions:

Not too many but the flick-fire is well placed in the canon and the trench offer a good playability. 8/10

Parts:

Nothing too exciting, but the General Rieekan fig. 8/10

Price:

At $64.99 CAD for 426 parts it's not very good. But it's a Star Wars set... 5/10

Accuracy:

The best Snowspeeder, probe droid and canon yet. 9/10

Overall:

Buy for complete your Hoth setting... 8/10

Nice review, i am not convinced though, the ONLY reason i'd want this set is for the Snowspeeder of which i have none yet and maybe the snowtroopers but the price is definitely too high for just that :(

I already ordered it from the Belgian S@H, so it is already available in an European country, doesn't look like it is available in our neighbouring countries (Germany, France) though.

Edit: also available in Holland.

Edited by Moexy

Ah I was scared the Canadian price would be like that..

Thanks for the review!

I hope I can save enough money to get this one along with the ones on a never ending list :sceptic:

Thanks for doing this review. Not surprised by the price, but still disappointed. I would have liked to have seen the speeder bike ditched in favour of some more base defences. I'm pretty sure my Hoth display is going to have more speeder bikes than my Endor one soon. Why are we always getting speeder bikes when they were hardly featured in the battle? I like certain elements of this set, but it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

I already ordered it from the Belgian S@H, so it is already available in an European country, doesn't look like it is available in our neighbouring countries (Germany, France) though.

Edit: also available in Holland.

What is S@H shop? Can't find it online...

What was the price? Probably in Denmark it would be also radiculous ;)

What is S@H shop? Can't find it online...

What was the price? Probably in Denmark it would be also radiculous ;)

For your information, S@H means Shop at Home, the official Online Lego Shop.

You can access with this URL : http://shop.lego.com

Thanks to all for your comments.

I'll try to upload best quality pics...

For your information, S@H means Shop at Home, the official Online Lego Shop.

You can access with this URL : http://shop.lego.com

Thanks to all for your comments.

I'll try to upload best quality pics...

Thanx :) It looks like it differs in every country. Danmark-home-of-lego will be the last with the higghest prices ;)

Nice review.But a quick question,is the 75014 Tauntaun identical to the one in 7879 ?

Thanks for the review,

The tauntaun is identical to 7879.

Part n° 6019807.

I picked this up just before Christmas. It's a nice little set. Best snowspeeder yet. At $49 US it was pretty expensive, if it was unlicesenced I think $39 at most. I love the Rieekan and new Luke. If you can live without it for now wait til it's on sale somewhere.

Great set! Thank you for the review!

This great! I don't mind remakes as long as it is a set where I can army build my hoth and snow troopers!

I picked this up just before Christmas. It's a nice little set. Best snowspeeder yet. At $49 US it was pretty expensive, if it was unlicesenced I think $39 at most. I love the Rieekan and new Luke. If you can live without it for now wait til it's on sale somewhere.

The UCS snowspeeder begs to differ

Opinions beg to differ too :wink:

I actually prefer the minifig sized snowspeeders trying to get as close as possible to detail while retaining minifig scale, than the UCS snowspeeder. So, in my opinion, the current snowspeeder is the best yet. (or at least form the wompa cave)

Thanks for the review :thumbup: This looks a nice little set & is a must have for me. I'm really dissapointed that Lego didn't have 7879 as part of the sale today, as this would have worked nicely with it.

It's weird that it's already available in other S @ H in Europe, but not the UK. I'm interested to see what the RRP will be, although I think that it's going to be rather pricey; anything above £40 will be ridiculous :sick:

It's weird that it's already available in other S @ H in Europe, but not the UK. I'm interested to see what the RRP will be, although I think that it's going to be rather pricey; anything above £40 will be ridiculous :sick:

449kr in DK = 45 gpb but according to recent pricing of Hobbit and SW it will be 40 gpb in UK

Nice review, friend! It's good to know that the new 2x2 inverted tiles come with the set. Also one in the clone BP, still we've been waiting for that piece for many years now.

This set really doesn't showcase anything overwhelmingly new - asides from the Rieekan minifig of course - and feel like a little bit of a missed opportunity to improve on those seminal Hoth features such as the Atgar cannon, snow speeder, trench system, etc. It does feel a lot more Hoth-esque than 7879... which feels like TLC are revisiting the Exploriens theme...

But it looks like if you've missed any of the previous snow speeders or any other Hoth sets, then this set will be one to get which captures the essence of all those sets combined. And despite my reservations if I can find this cheap enough (RRP should NEVER be more than £40 for this one... but I won't be surprised) then I will pick it up.

Thanks very much for the review.

Good review! On the whole, I think this is a pretty decent set. Yeah, we've had our fair share of snowspeeders over the years, but another one won't hurt. Plus, the harpoon is a definite improvement. The real highlights of the set are the General Rieekan and Luke minifigs.

The only thing I would change about this set is to add a gunner for Luke. I love the printed legs, the gun designs, the probe droid is awesome.

The slope front which I think has been used for at least a couple snowspeeder iterations rubs me the wrong way however. It just doesn't look right. I've seen some great MOCs that use angled plates and such but I think those kinds of structures are too weak for set standards.

50 bones for 426 isn't TOO bad for a Star Wars set. Between the speeder and the Snowtroopers, I think I'm going to have to grab this one. Gunner would have been nice but I guess there are plenty of pilots around and I'm not sure what I'd subtract from the set in order to incorporate one.