The Hollywood Reporter - Pixar's 'Onward' to Voice Star Chris Pratt, Tom Holland, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Octavia Spencer

The studio announced Wednesday that a new film called Onward will voice star Chris Pratt, Tom Holland, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Octavia Spencer. Monsters University director Dan Scanlon and producer Kori Rae are taking on Onward, which is set in a suburban fantasy world. It centers on two teen elf brothers who go on a quest to discover if there is still magic left in the world.

rs_1024x663-181212091628-1024.onward-pixar.121218.jpg?fit=inside%7C900:auto&output-quality=90

This feels like the same movie over and over again

At this point it's starting to feel creepy how they worship kids as their gods. It doesnt feel like a "friends" bond anymore

39 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I’m definitely getting a Toy Story 2 vibe. Woody tries to save a toy... he gets lost... it’s up to the other toys to find him and bring him back. I feel like they could spice it up by maybe bringing back an old villain like Lotso. 

And Toy Story 1 when Woody went to save Buzz from the crazy kido

And this whole "wild toys without owner" premise is pretty much Sunnyside again

Which pisses me off is that this recycled movie will make more money than LEGO Movie 2

It's good to finally get an idea of the plot of the film. I do have to admit that it looks like more of the same, but I'll keep an open mind and hope that Pixar will pleasantly surprise us like they always do.

On 3/19/2019 at 10:35 AM, Robert8 said:

And this whole "wild toys without owner" premise is pretty much Sunnyside again

Not really. Sunnyside was the toys submitting themselves to multiple children rather than just one. Bo is a lost toy and therefore truly without an owner. I think it will be interesting to see a toy embrace the owner-free life instead of getting traumatized or turning evil because of it. This will probably cause Woody to reexamine his own life. Questioning his purpose in life perfectly matches Forky's theme of existential crisis.

I see people theorizing that Bo will turn out to be the surprise villain in this one, but I don't really see that happening. The Super Carlin Brothers' theory about Giggle McDimples being the villain and Bo maybe being her pawn makes a lot more sense to me. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:39 AM, Robert8 said:

At this point it's starting to feel creepy how they worship kids as their gods. It doesnt feel like a "friends" bond anymore

On 3/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, Tariq j said:

I’m definitely getting a Toy Story 2 vibe. Woody tries to save a toy... he gets lost... it’s up to the other toys to find him and bring him back. I feel like they could spice it up by maybe bringing back an old villain like Lotso. 

On 3/21/2019 at 2:36 AM, Oky said:

It's good to finally get an idea of the plot of the film. I do have to admit that it looks like more of the same, but I'll keep an open mind and hope that Pixar will pleasantly surprise us like they always do.

Well, here's the final trailer:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, here's the final trailer:

Well, the jokes and music choice in this one aren't great in my opinion. Also, it doesn't really show much new except for a few shots of Duke Kaboom, although this might be a good thing because according to a tweet from the director Disney has been restraining themselves from revealing too much. They did this with the Endgame trailers and seem to be doing so with Frozen 2 as well, so here's to hoping that the film will indeed have much more to offer than is apparent from the trailers.

We finally got our first look at Pixar's next film, Onward!

I was already intrigued by the premise, but this just made me really excited to see it! The animation looks like standard fair for Pixar, but the world and all the characters look like a lot of fun already! Especially love the bit with the unicorns, although that makes me wonder if the pegasus on the side of their van is also seen as a pest? Also, I can't help but hear Rex Dangervest out of Chris Pratt's character. :tongue:

Honestly, this is what The Good Dinosaur should have been like. They had an interesting premise with the dinosaurs surviving and evolving into the dominant species, but did hardly anything with it.

Can't wait to see this movie!

latest?cb=20190531033029

27 minutes ago, Oky said:

We finally got our first look at Pixar's next film, Onward!

What the heck, how could I have missed this all yesterday and today??? :distressed: Up until you shared it here, I was completely ignorant of this teaser! :wacko:

31 minutes ago, Oky said:

The animation looks like standard fair for Pixar, but the world and all the characters look like a lot of fun already! Also, I can't help but hear Rex Dangervest out of Chris Pratt's character. :tongue:

The two elf brothers definitely look like rough caricatures of their respective voice actors. :thumbup: :laugh:

That feels very Shrek-ish... which is bad a thing for both Disney and Dreamworks

Disney because this feels like it's already done. And Dreamworks because this is coming right when there are rumors of a Shrek revival

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

What the heck, how could I have missed this all yesterday and today??? :distressed: Up until you shared it here, I was completely ignorant of this teaser! :wacko:

Probably because the opening of Galaxy's Edge overshadowed the release of this trailer quite a bit in terms of Disney news as it happened the same night.

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The two elf brothers definitely look like rough caricatures of their respective voice actors. :thumbup: :laugh:

I actually think that the big brother looks more like Jack Black who I could totally see playing this part as well, but yeah, good choices for the leads.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

That feels very Shrek-ish... which is bad a thing for both Disney and Dreamworks

Disney because this feels like it's already done. And Dreamworks because this is coming right when there are rumors of a Shrek revival

I've seen others say that they are getting a Dreamworks vibe from this trailer, but honestly I don't see it. Sure, Shrek had some references to modern times, but the world the characters lived in was still clearly your typical medieval fantasy land with magic and everything. We've never seen fantasy creatures living in a modern world without magic like this. This feels very different to me.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:44 AM, Oky said:

I've seen others say that they are getting a Dreamworks vibe from this trailer, but honestly I don't see it. Sure, Shrek had some references to modern times, but the world the characters lived in was still clearly your typical medieval fantasy land with magic and everything. We've never seen fantasy creatures living in a modern world without magic like this. This feels very different to me.

It's mostly from  Shrek 2 I'd say. Far Far Away was pretty much Hollywood with, and it was shown to have modern technology, like when they were wacthing "Knights" on TV or the red carpet broadcast. Also fast food chains, paparazzis with cameras and the concert at the end

23 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It's mostly from  Shrek 2 I'd say. Far Far Away was pretty much Hollywood with, and it was shown to have modern technology, like when they were wacthing "Knights" on TV or the red carpet broadcast. Also fast food chains, paparazzis with cameras and the concert at the end

Fair enough. I still think it's different to actually have the fantasy creatures live in modern times rather than just referencing modern day things, but I guess that's close enough for general audiences. I'm sure, though, that people will see the difference once they actually watch the film.

Speaking of negative preconceptions, it looks like the director of Toy Story 4 wasn't lying as the first reviews of the film are very positive and say that there is indeed a lot more going on in the film than is apparent from the trailers! I can't wait to see it now! :sweet:

To the box office... and beyond!

5 hours ago, Oky said:

Speaking of negative preconceptions, it looks like the director of Toy Story 4 wasn't lying as the first reviews of the film are very positive and say that there is indeed a lot more going on in the film than is apparent from the trailers! I can't wait to see it now! :sweet:

To the box office... and beyond!

After watching Chris Stuckmann's review of the film, I think it sounds somewhat promising after all... :shrug_oh_well:

Screen Rant - Pixar Original Movie Soul Gets June 2020 Release Date, First Details Revealed

Disney and Pixar announced today that the new original movie Soul will hit theaters on June 19, 2020, revealing the film's logo. Further, Pixar released the first details about the movie, revealing Soul will take viewers on some kind of adventure through New York City and "cosmic realms." See the first details about and logo for Soul below.

• "Ever wonder where your passion, your dreams and your interests come from? What is it that makes you... YOU? In 2020, Pixar Animation Studios takes you on a journey from the streets of New York City to the cosmic realms to discover the answers to life’s most important questions."

Pixar-Soul-Logo.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

So I saw Toy Story 4.

Spoiler

On the whole I’d say I enjoyed it. There were a lot of great moments. I loved the opening montage with Andy and the transition from young to teenage Andy giving Bonnie the toys :wub:. I felt where were a lot of genuinely good moments, Bunny and Ducky, Gabby Gabby, Bo Peep and Woody’s meeting in the Park. The bulk of the film worked really well. The voice cast was (as always) on point.

I feel really mixed over the ending though. Emotional as it is, It does sort of undo the ending of Toy Story 3. And how did Bonnie not notice Woody was missing? 

In regards to the sets, It would’ve been cool to have seen Bo Peep’s Skunk/RC Car. But otherwise given the 4+ range they all seemed pretty accurate. 

Edited by Tariq j

On 6/19/2019 at 1:33 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Sounds deep. Can't wait!

4 hours ago, Tariq j said:

So I saw Toy Story 4. On the whole I’d say I enjoyed it.

Glad to hear! I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but hopefully I'll be seeing it on Thursday!

4 hours ago, Tariq j said:

In regards to the sets, It would’ve been cool to have seen Bo Peep’s Skunk/RC Car.

You mean this?

10768 Buzz and Bo Peep's Playground Adventure

11 hours ago, Oky said:

You mean this?

Well that teaches me to look at a set properly :grin: A larger one would have been nice but hey at least we got something. 

The Soul film looks really interesting as does the Onward film and it’s cool to see Pixar going for more original projects. 

Saw Toy Story 4 two days ago. Overall I liked it better then what I thought I would based on the trailers but I do think its the worst of the franchise. I have more thoughts but I will put them in spoilers as I honestly don't know what some would consider spoilers. 

Spoiler

Things I really liked. The music as always was beautiful, even when its just background it has a unique feeling that helps this movie stand out from other animated movies. This is something Pixar is great at.The animation is definitely the best its ever been from Pixar.  I liked the new characters a lot more then I thought I would. Duke Caboom and Duck and Bunny were especially good. The film was quiet funny and were lots of scenes that made me chuckle. The emotional bits were very satisfying. I think the opening scene especially worked very well. Those were the things that stood out to me. 

Things I did not like as much. Hard to explain but I thought a lot of the charm from the first 3 movies was missing. I had the same problem with Incredibles 2 for not having the same charm as the original. I think a big part of the problem was how the original toys were handled. They were sort of just there. Every now and then they would cut to them in the RV. That was it. Even Jessie served no purpose in the movie. I'm not saying they had to go on an adventure bit it would have been nice for them to do something other then wait in the RV. There were smaller things that annoyed me as well. Buzz relying on his voice box got old fast. Any time we cut to Buzz he just used his box and got out of whatever situation he was in. Felt quite lazy and made all those scenes a lot more predictable and bland. I also did not care for how they ended Gabby's story. There's just a random girl who is lost and Gabby comfort her enough for her too look for her parents. I don't get it. How was it a doll that made her contact an authority? It was trying to be metaphoric but failed and came off as really cheesy. Get it? Gabbys lost and so is this little girl, they are made for each other! 

Overall really great emotional scenes, lots of fun characters, but can be a bit lazy in places. 7.5/10 

If I were to rank the movies it would be like

4. Toy Story 4

3. Toy Story 3

2. Toy Story 

1. Toy Story 2

12 hours ago, Khscarymovie4 said:

Saw Toy Story 4 two days ago. Overall I liked it better then what I thought I would based on the trailers but I do think its the worst of the franchise. I have more thoughts but I will put them in spoilers as I honestly don't know what some would consider spoilers. 

Overall really great emotional scenes, lots of fun characters, but can be a bit lazy in places. 7.5/10 

If I were to rank the movies it would be like

4. Toy Story 4
3. Toy Story 3
2. Toy Story
1. Toy Story 2

I just saw it too and I really liked it! I do agree with your ranking of it along with the other movies though. It has amazing visuals (obviously), great music (I smiled every time a song or musical cue from the past films started playing), good themes, and good jokes. Was it completely necessary? Probably not. Does it have as many memorable moments as the other movies? I don't think so. Was it still an entertaining and well made film? Definitely! Therefore, I do highly recommend it and hope people will learn from this to not be so quick to judge a movie they haven't seen yet.

Spoiler

It is however a more somber movie than the others, even more so than TS3 (the character posters convey the mood of the movie a lot better than any of the trailers) with Woody dealing with depression right from the start and with several parts that either have a lot of talking or no talking at all. Those parts were good, but the kids in the theater were starting to get antsy towards the end, and I think that mood will make it less likely for me to want to rewatch the movie versus the others in the series which felt a lot more fun and uplifting despite their sad parts. I liked Woody's arc though, and even Gabby Gabby's story was nice, albeit a bit cheesy and predictable. It was nice not to have another surprise villain again. I especially loved Forky and Duke Caboom, and Bo's badass new personality was great too (although anything would have been a step up from the lack of personality she had before). I still wasn't a fan of Bunny and Ducky though. Most of the time they were more annoying than funny to me. :shrug_confused:

But what really bugged me was how they handled ma boi Buzz! It felt like they really dumbed down his character (he was imbued with the personality of a highly trained space ranger and has been going on adventures with Woody and the gang for years and he doesn't understand what a conscience is??:hmpf:). He hardly had anything to do and every time we cut back to him it was the same joke over and over. Not to mention that his voice box somehow seems to have gained about a hundred new phrases since the last movie and always conveniently pointed him in the right direction. And the rest of the rest of the gang was barely even in the movie. It's as if they just wanted to tell Woody and Bo's story and didn't know what to do with the rest of the characters. Oh well, at least we got some laughs out of them.

Still, a good movie, but I hope they take their own message of moving on to heart and don't do any more sequels as that would just feel forced the way they ended this one. Let's move Onward to more original films! :wink:

On 6/24/2019 at 8:14 AM, Tariq j said:

A larger one would have been nice but hey at least we got something.

That pretty much sums up this entire wave. I don't blame you for not noticing that sorry excuse for a recreation of that vehicle. A full scale one that actually opens up and everything would have been great. It would have been cool to get some Bensons as well. :sadnew:

On 6/23/2019 at 10:02 PM, Oky said:
On 6/19/2019 at 3:33 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Sounds deep. Can't wait!

Collider - First Images for Pixar’s ‘Soul’ Revealed; Cast and More Musical Details Announced

We now know that the movie will follow Joe Gardner, a middle school band teacher and jazz aficionado who gets a big break to play at a high-class jazz club. The problem is, Joe apparently dies before he can get there and finds himself newly arrived in the “You Seminar.” And while that may sound decidedly dark, the core of the story is that Joe’s soul will get an opportunity to commune with a multitude of other souls that are awaiting a chance at consciousness. Thankfully, we have some concept art (and some casting details) to help wrap our heads around that.

Joe will be played by Jamie Foxx (Ray) while Tina Fey (30 Rock) voices a spritely soul-in-training named 22 who has an unexpected encounter with Joe when he accidentally finds his way to the “You Seminar.” Together, the two are going to find a way to get Joe back to Earth, making him think again about what it truly means to have soul.

But that’s not all! Ahmir Questlove Thompson (Detroit), Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show), and Daveed Diggs (Blindspotting) also star as a drummer, Joe’s mother, and Joe’s neighbor, respectively. And the musical hits keep on coming because Trent Reznor (The Social Network) and Atticus Ross (The Social Network) are composing the score while Jon Batiste (Red Hook Summer) is writing new music for the movie. Two-time Oscar-winner Pete Docter (Up, Inside Out) directs with co-director/writer Kemp Powers (Star Trek: Discovery), writer Mike Jones, and Oscar-nominee Dana Murray (Lou) producing. This is really shaping up to be something special.

soul-concept-art-pixar.jpg

soul-pixar.jpg

soul-joe-jaime-foxx-pixar.jpg