I'm amazed there isn't already a discussion topic for this, but yea, let's use this thread to talk Pixar films and related things. Personally, I love most Pixar films. Y'all probably know that the Toy Story series is my favorite trilogy of films. The next Pixar film coming out is Monsters University, which is Pixar's first prequel film. There is also talks of Finding Nemo 2 coming out in the near future.

But, I particularly started this topic today as news just came out that the Cars spinoff, Planes, has been announced to be released in theaters on August 9th, 2013. It's kind of ironic as this is not going to be a film produced by Pixar. I will not be looking forward to Planes after the disaster that was Cars 2. Oh, and I really wonder if they'll make Planes LEGO sets.

Cars 2 wasn't that bad. It only looks bad in comparison to the high levels of other Pixar films. If Dreamworks had made it, it would have been praised for being a Dreamworks animated movie that doesn't rely on pop culture jokes that kids don't get. It's my least favorite of their movies, but I've seen it a dozen times because of my daughter. One positive thing I can say about it is that they didn't just remake number one and instead tried something new. And a bad Pixar movie is still pretty good (at this point) :wink:

I totally agree with def. Perhaps my exceptionally low expectations led me to enjoy Cars 2, but really I just think it wasn't a bad film. Compared to the majority of kid-oriented animated movies that come out, Cars 2 was quite pleasant.

Disney itself has also been making pretty good animated movies lately (I found Wreck-It Ralph to be terrific), so Planes could turn out alright. Since it was originally meant to be straight-to-dvd, though, I have some worries.

This immediately reminded me of an animated short in Disney's Saludos Amigos - Pedro. That's quite a cute little movie.

Yeah! Let's talk Pixar! :excited: Indeed, Toy Story rules, and I look forward to MU. Not so sure about FN2 as I don't think they can top the first one. And let's not forget The Good Dinosaur, The Inside Out, and that Día de los Muertos film which all sound intriguing! I also think that Cars 2 was better than people give it credit (in fact, I enjoyed it more than the first Cars due to its fast pace and complex story), and I like planes better than cars, so I'm kinda looking forward to Planes too, even though it's not made by Pixar. And I wouldn't mind some sets based on it, although I'm not sure how profitable it would be for TLG since I don't think the Cars sets did so well. I'm really hoping for Monsters Inc/University sets though. There are lots of possibilities there. :sweet:

Brave, however, was pretty disappointing. It was falsely advertised and the story was just a mixture of other Disney movies. :sadnew: Let's hope they can recover from these two duds.

Ah, I didn't know they named the Human Mind movie! That and Monsters University are the Pixar films I'm anticipating the most! Thanks for that news Oky! :classic:

And I didn't really elaborate on Cars 2. I meant it was a disaster compared to other Pixar films. I still thought it was like a 6/10ish. I really liked the scenery in that film. And I really liked Brave despite the critical reaction. It's probably my third least favorite Pixar film, but that doesn't mean it was bad. And, by the way, my second least favorite is Bugs Life. I use to be a big fan of it when it first came out, but nowadays, I find it just too slow.

One of the things about Planes that I'm really worried about is the fact that it is made by DisneyToon Studios. I never liked their mostly Direct-to-DVD films, though I did like A Goofy Movie and DuckTales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp.

Edited by just2good

I also think that Cars 2 was better than people give it credit (in fact, I enjoyed it more than the first Cars due to its fast pace and complex story), and I like planes better than cars, so I'm kinda looking forward to Planes too, even though it's not made by Pixar. And I wouldn't mind some sets based on it, although I'm not sure how profitable it would be for TLG since I don't think the Cars sets did so well. I'm really hoping for Monsters Inc/University sets though. There are lots of possibilities there. :sweet:

Brave, however, was pretty disappointing. It was falsely advertised and the story was just a mixture of other Disney movies. :sadnew: Let's hope they can recover from these two duds.

Well said, Oky. :thumbup:

I'm a sucker for a good spy movie, and Cars 2 was a lot of fun. For me, that's all that really matters: is the movie enjoyable to watch. Cars 2 was fun to watch. Brave wasn't. (Well, that, and I have serious issues with the plot structure, but I'd best not start arguing in my current mood.)

I liked both of the Cars movies. That might be because I've seen the first one at least 100 times. :grin: (Not through my choice though...)

I saw a trailer for Planes during one of my trips to see The Hobbit, it looked okay, we'll see. And I agree, Brave was pretty darn predictable.

WALL-E has to be my favorite movie from them so far though. Love that story.

I liked both of the Cars movies. That might be because I've seen the first one at least 100 times. :grin: (Not through my choice though...)

WALL-E has to be my favorite movie from them so far though. Love that story.

Yea, I've seen the first Cars movie like a billion times. It's still good. :classic:

WALL-E is probably my fifth favorite Pixar film. Fourth is Up (one of my favorite films of all time), third is Toy Story 2, second is Toy Story 3, and my favorite is the original Toy Story.

Edited by just2good

WALL-E is probably my fifth favorite Pixar film. Fourth is Up (one of my favorite films of all time), third is Toy Story 2, second is Toy Story 3, and my favorite is the original Toy Story.

The whole family loves Cars, but only my little brother and I like WALL-E. Most people I know either love it or hate it.

Most people I know either love it or hate it.

It's usually if they love the first half or hate the second half of the film, or vice versa. I personally LOVE the first half, and I think the second half is pretty good.

Yeah! Let's talk Pixar! :excited: Indeed, Toy Story rules, and I look forward to MU. Not so sure about FN2 as I don't think they can top the first one. And let's not forget The Good Dinosaur, The Inside Out, and that Día de los Muertos film which all sound intriguing! I also think that Cars 2 was better than people give it credit (in fact, I enjoyed it more than the first Cars due to its fast pace and complex story), and I like planes better than cars, so I'm kinda looking forward to Planes too, even though it's not made by Pixar. And I wouldn't mind some sets based on it, although I'm not sure how profitable it would be for TLG since I don't think the Cars sets did so well. I'm really hoping for Monsters Inc/University sets though. There are lots of possibilities there. :sweet:

I think Cars sets sold fairly well as they got two waves.

I'm quite a big fan of Pixar movies. I always thought there was something wrong with Cars 2 that I can't really get hold of, although I watched it with already quite low expectations.

Contrary to what most of you said, I enjoyed Brave a huge lot for its stunning visuals and the great music. My favourite Pixar film is still Monsters Inc., though. :) You can imagine I really look forward to the prequel next year. :D Not to mention that I'll be in my second university semester when it's released so that'll add to the fun. ^^

-Gata signoff.png

'Cars 2' was great I thought as I'm a big Michael Caine fan and the moral of Mater's travails (be happy with and true to yourself) resonated with me. The foreign locales (the Queen as a Rolls?!? Japanese toliets, French street markets, etc.) were just as interesting as the Route 66 nostalgia in the first movie.

I thoroughly enjoy most Disney/Pixar movies. My top 3 are the following:

The Incredibles

Wall-E

Up

Ah, The Incredibles is really good. I haven't seen it in forever. I really think that is the only Pixar movie that doesn't have a sequel deserves a sequel. There are so many possibilities.

Ah, The Incredibles is really good. I haven't seen it in forever. I really think that is the only Pixar movie that doesn't have a sequel deserves a sequel. There are so many possibilities.

Indeed there are limitless possibilities for a The Incredibles sequel. I'm really surprised there hasn't been a sequel yet. My kids and a lot of my friend's kids loved that movie and played as the characters back in the day.

Did anyone see Monsters Inc in 3D? I have a bit of free time tomorrow, should I watch it?

Did anyone see Monsters Inc in 3D? I have a bit of free time tomorrow, should I watch it?

My wife and I actually saw it on Saturday evening, it was great! Disney/Pixar did a fantastic job with the 3D conversion.

My wife and I actually saw it on Saturday evening, it was great! Disney/Pixar did a fantastic job with the 3D conversion.

^^This. Monsters, Inc. 3D was literally the best 3D movie experience I've ever seen. (Granted, I never saw James Cameron's Avatar in 3D, but still.) Pixar knows how to do 3D well, if I go to see a Pixar movie, I know the 3D will be worth the extra price.

The really sad thing about Planes is that it is not even being made by Disney's main animation teams. It was on the lowest of lows as a start-up to test a new group of animators. But, some high up exec saw a money-making opportunity and decided to screw the people of the world by tricking them into thinking it's made by Pixar by calling it a "spin-off"

Here's my list of Pixar films in order from least favorite to favorite:

Brave: Bland and boring princess movie filled with false advertising about the story.

Cars 2: Just, not good.

WALL-E: I just don't like it for some reason. No matter how hard I try, I can't make i t through the movie a second time.

Cars: It's just ok to me.

A Bug's Life: I like it, it's just not my favorite. Probably because you can't relate to the characters.

Finding Nemo: A good film but the animation isn't great, even compared to that of even the first Toy Story.

(At this point I really LOVE all of the following and I am judging based on nostalgia, entertainment, and fun!)

Ratatouille: A fun a re-watchable cooking movie with fun! I just love it.

The Incredibles: Definitely deserves a sequel! A fantastic super-family movie reminiscent of the Fantastic Four.

Toy Story 2: Fun and enjoyable with new characters but ultimately doesn't live up to its predecessor.

Monsters, Inc.: One of the best! I saw it 4 times in theaters!

Toy Story 3: A fantastic heartfelt conclusion to the trilogy!

Toy Story: The original! A classic! It was hard not to put this as #1.

Up: Same as above but with a truly fantastic original story! 

http://images.nymag....ons_560x375.jpg

Edited by CBMM1

(It got a bonus point for including <b>Fenton's Ice Cream</b> at the end. It is an Ice Cream place 30 mins. from my house and is my favorite restaurant in the whole wide world. Also close to Pixar hub.)

http://images.nymag....ons_560x375.jpg

That's really cool that you live 30 minutes away from their! It reminds me of how Hidden City Cafe was in Monsters Inc. I always wanted to eat there, but it was obviously too far away from me, and just recently closed down. :sad:

That's really cool that you live 30 minutes away from their! It reminds me of how Hidden City Cafe was in Monsters Inc. I always wanted to eat there, but it was obviously too far away from me, and just recently closed down. :sad:

Yeah it was so cool seeing it at the end even if it doesn't look much like the actual building. In reality, there would be no way for them to just sit there on the corner. The place is perpetually busy! :grin:

We watch Cars 2 about twice a day at the moment - my son is 2 1/2. While I am overall pretty much a fan of Pixar's art and storytelling, there are a lot of things I really don't like. These are films for very young kids, but there are so many unnecessary guns. Toy Story even opens with a gun.

My worst scene in any Pixar film is where Holley electrocutes Tombey for no reason at all in Cars 2, and totally gets away with it. What a terrifying message - agents can torture you with impunity, tough luck for the victims. Even worse than all the shooting and murders. I really wish there was a way to edit out the violence.

:sceptic:

We watch Cars 2 about twice a day at the moment - my son is 2 1/2. While I am overall pretty much a fan of Pixar's art and storytelling, there are a lot of things I really don't like. These are films for very young kids, but there are so many unnecessary guns. Toy Story even opens with a gun.

My worst scene in any Pixar film is where Holley electrocutes Tombey for no reason at all in Cars 2, and totally gets away with it. What a terrifying message - agents can torture you with impunity, tough luck for the victims. Even worse than all the shooting and murders. I really wish there was a way to edit out the violence.

:sceptic:

There was a study that was published in the news a few months back (maybe a year or so ago actually, I don't remember) that said that children under three shouldn't watch TV at all. It recommended slowly allowing them to watch some after that, gradually building up to a maximum of two hours a day at age 16.

Violence in the media is something that's really starting to bother me alot. Regarding Lego in particular, I don't think children have any business watching some of the movies that the Lego sets are made from.

Edited by bjtpro

Monster Inc. is probably my favorite and I am psyched to find out there's a sequel! Also the Toy Story movies are not half bad and I am happy to own a few sets. As the Disney sets (in particular Toy Story, Cars, Prince of Persia) are always really well made, it would be awesome to get some Monster sets - but I believe we would know by now, right? Sadly this movie is not covered by sets, but Planes is: 10509, 10510, 10511.