Sign in to follow this  
tjb tyranno

Man, Lego should really release "fantasy" sets...

Sets on swords, magic, dragons, spells, wands or anything that has to do with fantasy. Other than harry potter (PAH!), I'd wish they'd make sets like those Dragons Fire and Ice sets. I mean like, I have almost every Dragons Fire and Ice sets, but it's Mega Bloks. I hate mega bloks.

Well they're releasing Vikings this year. Those sets have got dragons, as well as lots of other fantasy creatures.

By very virtue of buying Megabloks, your opinion is invalidated. ;)

There are swords, Harry Potter covers magic and wands, and Vikings covers dragons (as will Harry Potter later on).

I'd love to see some Greek mythology stuff. Centaurs, saytyrs, medusa, the gods, etc. But yes, there is a good deal of fantasy stuff out there: Dragons (in two colors would like more colors), Wizards (in four colors, but would like more) and Witches, Cerebus', Pegasus/Hippogryph, Werewolves, Vampires, Trolls, Goblins, Elf (maybe, if you count Dobby, though he is more goblin-esque), ghosts, crystal balls, giant snakes. Gobs of good stuff. And then the coming soon: merfolk (whoo-hoo!, with fingers crossed for good execution), Viking monsters (bleh!), and who knows what else?

Steve

I agree with the Greek Mythology theme. maybe a Hercules or Gladiator twist to it. i had also thought it would be cool to see and underwater theme, not to sound gay, but kind of like little mermaid but with more of a manly feel to it. they have the sharks, dolphins, octopus and such, and now with the mer-folk you mentioned. by the way, does anyone have any pics of those? or are those from the rumoured harry potter sets?

The Greek mythology theme is a great idea. I'd rather see some Synbad or Clash of the Titans monsters than the Dragons in the Viking Theme. You won't see Lego do this theme until Playmobil or MegaBlocks does it first and is successful with it.

Then again, I prefer Lego start a new Western Train theme.

Brickster, please stop your flame crusade against Vikings. I like them. Everyone else likes them.

Anyway, Vikings is supposedly the first section of sets in a new 'Historic' theme. I hope that rumor is true, and I wouldn't doubt that it is.

My apologies Bloody Jay. I do like the theme- honest. Please don't get me wrong. Just don't care much for the Bionicle dragons. I'd prefer other mythical creatures like those mentioned above or a kracken (like in Clash of the Titans, or sea serpents for the sea battles). Dragons are just so cliche' and I think are better used for Knight's Kingdom instead - but they're not that bad.

Keep in mind that I'm a Lego traditionalist still trapped in the 80s. Main streets, gas stations, buildings, and trains appeal most to me (not to mention Return of the Western Sets- that one day will happen)!

I am looking forward to seeing these sets. I like the ship and the figs most of all and will probably be buying.

In addition, I hope the rumor is true as well. I'd love to see some other historic themes.

That's ok, Brickster, I understand. I'm not too fond of the dragons myself. ;)

For any 'Historic' series, I'd like to see:

- Greeks (for the monsters)

- Romans (for the armies)

- Aztecs/Mayans

- Feudal Japan (NINJAS! Rerelease needed badly...)

I honestly was not impressed with the old Western series, and it was re-released once, and I think that's enough. ;) No offense. The Indian sets were pretty awful to me, and the Cowboy sets weren't good for much else.

Now, Ninjas, on the other hand... *wub*

I didn't care much for the indian sets initially, but after trying to obtain them after Lego discontinued them, it was fun. I'm really getting off topic here, but I liked Gold City Junction and the Gold Mine the best. I like Old West history to begin with, but add a Lego theme, and it's all over. Not sure why Lego picked the Sheriff's Office as a re-release but I think they're coming again (search Western on the Lego Web Site). Fort Legorado, however, is awesome. It was one theme that only lasted a short time and was never re-visited (unlike pirates, castle, etc.)

I have all the sets in the theme and don't care to see them re-released as legends or once again, but rather new sets to the theme - esp. a Western Train sub-theme with water tower, old church, saloons, etc. I think the train buffs would enjoy as well. But, westerns are not as popular as they were in the 70s and 80s. Kids aren't into cowboys and indians anymore, but rather dragons, monsters, and Bionicle. In any case, I hope to see them again, but appreciate most of the themes, esp. those that Lego has not made in the past.

They rereleased the Westerns one, that's what that article on LEGO is about (sorry). Maybe at some point, we'll see new Western sets, but the rerelease was too recent for another release, in my opinion. 2002, wasn't it?

Yes, a Greek Mythology theme would be awsome. I in particular want a centaur because the current Lego horses are just too big to be able to customise into one! Mermaids would be cool, too; but I'm a bit worry that Lego might make its tail in one big, posable block. I tried customising one once using a dolphin, but ack... I didn't even bother to take any pictures afterwards for fear it might ruin my reputation ;) Anyway, I look forward to seeing the Megablokish Vikings...

Red Bean

www.redbeanstudio.net

Hi Bloody Jay, your mention earlier of a rumour of a new "Historic" theme is the first time I've come across it on any of the sites I visit.

Can you eloborate on this at all ? eg where you heard it ? how reliable was the source ? etc

Thanks

Hi Bloody Jay, your mention earlier of a rumour of a new "Historic" theme is the first time I've come across it on any of the sites I visit.

Can you eloborate on this at all ? eg where you heard it ? how reliable was the source ? etc

I think Bloody Jay was just saying if there was a Historic line, what he would like to see.

Nothing like this has been confimed yet, but we will let you know if we hear anything.

Jon.

I hope your right. Romans, Greeks, Egyptians?, and like you said, Japan - all would be amazing themes. Although... isn't the Ninja line more Medieval than 'Ancient'. I know the east had gunpowder before us but I don't think they had flintlock muskets/pistols that early...

I think the idea of releasing a historic line isn't that great.

Why? Because on the one hand a kid that had to play with a toy portraying anything "historically correct" would very likely not have that much fun. And on the other hand would too much straying from historical correctness lead indeed to something that could best be described as "fantasy".

Although the condition for a theme comprised of ancient myths (predominantly those concerning greek/mediterranean mythology) might be good, I can not see how TLC could manage to pull off historically correct renditions of say, greek hoplites, roman legionaires and the likes.

Having Perseus ride Pegasus and slaying the Medusa or having Achilleus battle trojan armies would be neat, but I would much rather see "historic city life"... and I do NOT think that TLC could release a greek temple for instance without screwing it up ROYALLY (hence: constructing it entirely out of Bionicle-parts :'( ).

My point is: just look at the upcoming Viking line. Though the sets are great for playing with them, they ultimately fail to portray historic norsemen life/society. So I'd say yes to a "Classic/Ancient Fantasy" line and give a big NO to anything that tries to portray history.

Greetings,

Cutty

Time to give a statement

Because on the one hand a kid that had to play with a toy portraying anything "historically correct" would very likely not have that much fun. And on the other hand would too much straying from historical correctness lead indeed to something that could best be described as "fantasy".

And indeed that is what it should be. A fantasy!

Historical correctness :/

The main audiens could'nt care less. They want WAR.

Boys between 5 and 12 don't build big "historical correct" buildings. They build a fortress of a billion colors (what they have) and smash it with again PLAYING. And that is the MAIN issue here. "PLAYING"

Don't OVERestimate the BRICK. It's a toy. :oo

Ok, so it is not quite a "historic" set.. but the Statue of Liberty set sold very well. There is no playability as it is just a sculpture, but this was popular to Lego's other audience, AFOL. Not every set they make has to appeal to kids.. take the ISD, or some of the Legends.

So I would love to see TLC make some sort of Historic or Monument line, they could build things like coliseums from Greece, pyramids from Egypt, temples or palaces like the Taj-Mahal even modern building like Big Ben or Tower Bridge. Detailed sculptures like this would surely go down well with adult Lego fans and possibly kids too.

Jon.