Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal

Administrator "Rick" locked my post? What is going on?

Dear Eurobricks,

It appears that administrator “Rick” locked my post, and in my view I can’t understand why he did.

This was my first post on Eurobricks, and I took some time to craft it. I thought this was an interesting line of discussion based on some interesting viewpoints that have come to my attention. Why not just let people discuss this aspect of the Galaxy Squad theme instead of immediately locking the topic?

I am an American so you’ll have to forgive my intense value of the concept of freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is designed to protect controversial opinion, not happy, agreeable, gentle opinions.

I’m sorry Rick doesn’t like freedom of speech, and instead chose to quash a discussion that might have yielded some interesting analysis.

It seems "Rick" is a little eager to exercise his "administrative" power, I'm afraid. Perhaps he was puffing his chest out like a gorilla as he locked my thread.

I will be awaiting your reply. If you decide not to unlock my post, I will accept your decision, but I will have to move on from eurobricks. As a new LEGO fan, this seems to be a depressing thought, but one I must follow through on based on principle.

My post was no offensive in any way, it attacked nobody, it was not inappropriate. It hopefully, is, the start of a great discussion.

With that, I formally request that you unlock my post about the Galaxy Squad theme. Thank you for your time.

Very truly yours,

-Cardinal

Your post had no proof, it was just a silly, unlikely statement of conspiracy.

And as for being an American, yeah, you have freedom of speech, but that has nothing to do with a web forum. The admin are entrusted to make judgment calls. If you want true freedom of speech, consider starting your own website, and posting everything you want to there. You are free to do that. Eurobricks is not obligated to host a discussion by you.

Feel free to check the site out a bit and get used to it. There are loads of discussions going on. Very few of them are shut down.

And welcome to the forum :wink:

As I indicated, it was solely based on 'rumours' and it seemed to me like you simply joined EB to express your dissatisfaction with the new Space theme. A company like TLG is not going to design a theme just to fail. If TLG does not think it makes sense, from a business perspective, to release Space (or any other theme) sets anymore, it will simply not produce them. No conspiracy or infiltration theories are needed to explain that.

Closing your thread was a judgment call indeed. But I'm not volunteering to be a moderator here because I enjoy exercising my "power" so much. Like all staff members, I'm simply trying to keep the forum organised. You can express your views on the new Galaxy Squad theme in the discussion thread in the Space forum.

Def, thank you for the reply and I appreciate it. But why does Rick have the power to quash discussion, simply because he "doesn't see this discussion going anywhere"? That seems to be his arbitrary opinion, and nothing more. Why doesn't he just ignore my post then, instead of locking it? Perhaps others might like to chime in? I think if the post were unlocked, some people might like to have a say on this topic, don't you? Def, I would like to know, how I would go about appealing Rick's lock of my thread? Is there an appeal process? Or who can I email, etc. Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is true that you have no obligation to provide a free forum and I respect that, but as a consumer I'd rather not drive traffic in a forum where overzealous administrators, desperate to exert power over people, are locking threads based on their arbitrary opinion. I can't be a part of such a forum out of moral principle. Thanks.

I explained why I locked your thread and as I also explained, all staff here are simply trying to keep the forum organised. There's no appeal process and per the Site Guidelines, which you agreed to when signing up, staff decisions are final.

I can't be a part of such a forum out of moral principle. Thanks.

You're welcome to stay, but - of course - also free to leave if you don't agree with our policies or decisions.

Def, thank you for the reply and I appreciate it. But why does Rick have the power to quash discussion, simply because he "doesn't see this discussion going anywhere"? That seems to be his arbitrary opinion, and nothing more. Why doesn't he just ignore my post then, instead of locking it? Perhaps others might like to chime in? I think if the post were unlocked, some people might like to have a say on this topic, don't you? Def, I would like to know, how I would go about appealing Rick's lock of my thread? Is there an appeal process? Or who can I email, etc. Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is true that you have no obligation to provide a free forum and I respect that, but as a consumer I'd rather not drive traffic in a forum where overzealous administrators, desperate to exert power over people, are locking threads based on their arbitrary opinion. I can't be a part of such a forum out of moral principle. Thanks.

He has the ability because he's been a respected member for years. He has been asked by the owners of the site to make judgment calls.

I personally didn't think it was a good thread. You made some stuff up and labeled it "SHOCK NEWS." The best thing to do, not only here, but on the Internet in general, is to become a member of good standing, and build a reputation where your opinion is trusted.

Instead, you made one post which was not true, and then two others where you slandered a respected member of the community ("Rick doesn’t like freedom of speech," "he was puffing his chest out like a gorilla," "desperate to exert power"). That's no way to be a member. As Rick has politely let you know, such "News" is acceptable in the actual Galaxy Squad thread.

Why don't you add to the discussion there?

My last word on this, is that I think it is sad. I thought this was a discussion forum, not a dictatorial playground for people to exercise their tyrannical fantasies. Def, I'm disappointed that you didn't take my side when I think you realize that I'm in the right. I'm also disappointed that no other members here have backed me up. I think this entire community is scared of some sort of tyrannical reprimand from you people if they stand up for me.

If nothing else, I'm now more convinced than ever that people are obsessed with control and power. And when a person has even the slightest window to exercise control or power over others, they are ravenously eager to do so, and will do so at the slightest inclination. Whether that exercise of control is right or wrong seems to be of no concern to them, what is important to the tyrant is the feeling of superiority they get from their exertion of power. I find this to be sad and almost depressing. It really is typical and reflective of the darker corners of human history.

My post on Galaxy Squad was made just a few hours ago, and already has nearly 200 views. I guess people were interested after all Rick. Maybe the discussion might have went somewhere after all. I wish they could have been able to speak their mind and have their views heard. But you took that away from them because in your almighty opinion the thread wasn't worth keeping open. Having that opinion is just fine, but forcing your opinion on the entire community by locking my thread, that is a different thing entirely. It was an immoral decision.

So I guess, thanks for the lesson in human nature. I wish we were all a little more enlightened. All the best.

Most people; like me; probably read the thread out of curiosity as to why it was locked by Rick. We are an inquisitive bunch. The site guidelines and general forum etiquette is to introduce yourself in the first one or two threads so that people get to understand your viewpoints. Launching with rumor and not even bothering to search out if other similar topics exist is just very unusual. This is an adult community (mainly) and rumors do circulate; often linking to the sources of where this might have been heard. Other people proposing pure speculation (even long standing members) may get their threads locked, usually without having to create a new one to call fowl. Bad form - sorry.

And just to be clear... it was a pointless topic - like this one.

Edited by roamingstudio

<°}}}>{

Seriously. Some members here tried to explain to you how things are going. Most members here come from the U.S. And many others from Europe, where some Hinan Rights are held higher than in the U.S. IMO

Your post got many views for exact the same reason why boulevard papers get many readers. They create sensations.

Your post did not mention any reliable sources and you don't need to be too smart to think this is just a stupid theory (like Rick tried to explain). Perhaps you try to say what your intense with the post was. Was there other than getting attention?

If you leave with this, nobody will miss you. If you stay and discuss here and try to understand how the world, the internet and society works, you are heartly welcome.

I know this is a LEGO forum and not a political one so I will keep this short. On the subject of freedom of speech: I too am an American and I too greatly value the freedom of speech but what you do not realize is that this is a freedom enjoyed in many countries around the world to differing extents (speech is not 100% free in america). Blood has been likely been spilt in every nation there is in effort to secure this freedom, please respect that. Also realize that many in the international community feel that most Americans take the attitude that we have somehow cornered the market and are 'more free' than anyone else, please take care how you represent America and it's people in your online activities... Of couse, ultimately, how you do so is still your choice.

To compare freedom-of-speech to your post being locked on a Lego Forum is verging on reductio ad absurdum. You signed up to certain forum guidelines and restrictions. Get used to it.

You don't have freedom of speech. This is a world wide site run by a private server. They are free to do what they want.

But seriously, why not use the existing Space topic?

Thanks for your replies. This only confirms my decision to leave the forum. If I had gotten backed up by members then I might stay, but you all jumped on the tyranny bandwagon. And those who might agree with me are too afraid to speak up and stand up for what is right. That disappoints me but I understand.

Of course I understand this is a private forum. Did you not read my earlier posts? That isn't the point. If I stay on this board and am part of this community, I drive traffic, which drives revenue (advertising dollars) for the owners of this website. The owners of this website allow suppression of speech at the whim of an administrator, and I find this immoral and unacceptable, even in the context of a private forum. Therefore, I cannot, as a moral principle, stay on this forum. I cannot reward suppression of free speech. I will instead choose to drive traffic and revenue for forums that allow free expression. That's my doing my part. The market has to reward free speech too.

So, with this message, I sign out for good. That is something I truly regret. I wish you all the best.

My last word on this, is that I think it is sad. I thought this was a discussion forum, not a dictatorial playground for people to exercise their tyrannical fantasies. Def, I'm disappointed that you didn't take my side when I think you realize that I'm in the right. I'm also disappointed that no other members here have backed me up. I think this entire community is scared of some sort of tyrannical reprimand from you people if they stand up for me.

If nothing else, I'm now more convinced than ever that people are obsessed with control and power. And when a person has even the slightest window to exercise control or power over others, they are ravenously eager to do so, and will do so at the slightest inclination. Whether that exercise of control is right or wrong seems to be of no concern to them, what is important to the tyrant is the feeling of superiority they get from their exertion of power. I find this to be sad and almost depressing. It really is typical and reflective of the darker corners of human history.

My post on Galaxy Squad was made just a few hours ago, and already has nearly 200 views. I guess people were interested after all Rick. Maybe the discussion might have went somewhere after all. I wish they could have been able to speak their mind and have their views heard. But you took that away from them because in your almighty opinion the thread wasn't worth keeping open. Having that opinion is just fine, but forcing your opinion on the entire community by locking my thread, that is a different thing entirely. It was an immoral decision.

So I guess, thanks for the lesson in human nature. I wish we were all a little more enlightened. All the best.

What you posted was even less substantial than a rumor: it's nothing, it doesn't contain any information at all. Consequently, there is nothing the term "discussion" can even be applied to. Rick recognized that. Instead of simply deleting your post, he only locked it. Your "opinion" can still be read by anyone who is attracted by the topic. Anyone can send you a PM if he feels the need to debate the whole issue with you.

He'll probably sign up again under a new name next week.

Dear Cardinal, since you wanted more feedback on this matter: of course we're all afraid of the tyrannous admins around here and have to stick withe their rules, even if sometimes not right in our opinions!

Now, joke aside, I can tell you a few things how people should act in the first place. First you come to a forum, introduce yourself in the appropriate subforum and that is the only thread you should create in a long time. Then you lurk, comment on some threads that have been made or post a new thread with your MOC. That's it. Then, when people get to know you, trust you, then you can start your own discussions. We all supported our admins because I can tell you that this forum is one of the best organized around with as less spam and pointless threads as it gets. I guess you have to grow up a little to understand that, but coming into someones house and expect them to play by your rules is just rude. As said when you'll realize that, you'll probably create a new account since you'll figure this is the best place for LEGO fans. Was that all necessary? Meanwhile use TLGs official forums or some other fan based sites and you'll see how quickly things get messy if not moderated properly!

Honestly, Cardinal, Eurobricks is a great place for LEGO discussion. The way you came in and openly accused LEGO and designing the new Sci-Fi theme to fail just wasn't a good introduction, just like how MstrOfPppts said. As for freedom of speech, I'm American too, but I don't crazily love it (Ever heard of Westborough Baptist Church?).

I haven't signed on here in a long time, but I had to say that this thread is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Personally, sad to say, I am glad he isn't going to stay. If topics like that are what we could expect from him in the long run, all I see are a lot of arguments and unhappiness. Those kinds of topics do nothing but try to upset people and drive arguments, not civil conversation.

One other minor note that Cardinal doesn't seem to get (and one of the other posters alluded to) is that Free Speech has nothing to do with what is said in a private forum. It means (generally) that the government can't restrict speech. If you walk into a restaurant (lets say Denny's) and stand in the doorway announcing that their new Hobbit themed meals were only made because they want the movie to fail due to being associated with such horrible food, they'd have every right to ask you to leave. It has nothing to do with free speech.

If, however, the government stopped you from publicly saying that our government is bad because of X, Y, or Z reason, *that* would violate your free speech.

I don't have much more to add, as the responses to so far echo my thoughts on this matter. However, I did just want to point out that it's the work of the moderators, regulators and the admins ( :wub: ) that make Eurobricks the best forum in the world (for me, at least).

I haven't signed on here in a long time, but I had to say that this thread is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Haha :thumbup:

Did anyone else read his posts using a redneck accent?

The question is, why hasn't Rick received the title:

typical and reflective of the darker corners of human history

:wacko:

Wait, can we do that? Just say "I'm American, First Amendment, yadda yadda..." and then say whatever we want? "Cause I'm an American and I heard that LEGO is actually run by aliens and the building bricks are actually letters of their alphabet and they've just been trying to teach us to communicate with them when we're ready, so they go slow, introducing new element-letters and compound symbols as time goes by.

I'm sorry, I know that previous paragraph was rude. I'm just worn out from people saying "FREEDOM OF SPEECH! I CAN SAY WHATEVER!" without taking the time to realize that freedom of speech does not release you from the consequences of what you say. I didn't read the locked post, but the reasons it was locked were referenced and spelled out so precisely and carefully here that I'm not sure it matters.

Again, sorry. I'mm go to bed now.