xenologer

Inappropriate ads

I'm just getting a Ford Mustang GT and Macy's ad now.

Maybe this is the new "What banner ads do YOU see?" topic... xD

I'm just getting a Ford Mustang GT and Macy's ad now.

Maybe this is the new "What banner ads do YOU see?" topic... xD

That would probably get locked....

I had read on one of the other sites I frequent that the members said that those women in those Civony ads are actually transvestites.

I honestly could care less. Remember that the Site Gudielines say that if you are ofended by anything on this site it's your own fault and you have been warned. I'm pretty sure it's talking about members post. I just ignore them. BTW clearly most of those girls are ditgital.

sc3n86.jpg

I know that advertising is very important (and I don't know how much influence the mod-team have on the ads for this page) but imo the Scientology-ad is a bit too much and this organisation really shouldn't be advertised for, espacially on a Lego-Website.

What do you think?

Oh dear. Well, EB has a deal with google ads, so google does theirs ads. Basically, if Google approves an add, it can show up in any Google ad. Not EBs fault.

EDIT: Yes! Kinghthood! :classic:

Edited by ThatGuyWithTheBricks

I know Scientology is pretty well hated, and I'm no "Scientologist," but to think that a site that runs off(*) advertising should censor ads because of their own political or religious ideology doesn't seem particularly "progressive" to me; especially an ad that, in itself, doesn't say anything controversial.

(*) EDIT: I don't know if that's true... perhaps just "subsidized" with advertising.

Edited by fred67

Oh dear. Well, EB has a deal with google ads, so google does theirs ads. Basically, if Google approves an add, it can show up in any Google ad. Not EBs fault.

I see. Thanks.

I know Scientology is pretty well hated, and I'm no "Scientologist," but to think that a site that runs off(*) advertising should censor ads because of their own political or religious ideology doesn't seem particularly "progressive" to me; especially an ad that, in itself, doesn't say anything controversial.

I too believe in the freedom of speech, I'm pretty liberal. But for me tolerance ends where intolerance starts. To cancel such an ad wouldn't be censorship.

But for me tolerance ends where intolerance starts.

How is a banner that says "Scientology Today" intolerant?

I don't want to play, I know what you mean... but it boils down to this... YOU don't like Scientology, so YOU feel that EB shouldn't carry their ads.

Well... I don't like WalMart, so I will complain when EB shows an ad for WalMart? No... I'll shrug it off and move on.... unless the ad itself was like, you know, how to butcher kittens to make a pie... but then the content of the ad would be offensive.

I don't want to play, I know what you mean... but it boils down to this... YOU don't like Scientology, so YOU feel that EB shouldn't carry their ads.

It's not about "I like" and "I don't like" - Scientology isn't a icecream.

I don't see why this (dangerous) sect should be supported by an ad. That's why I started this thread.

Edited by Dr.Butcher

It's not about "I like" and "I don't like" - Scientology isn't a icecream.

I don't see why this (dangerous) sect should be supported by an ad. That's why I started this thread.

Because that they are dangerous is only your opinion. Where are all the dead bodies if they're so dangerous?

Edit: Or do you mean the ideas are dangerous? If you want to take that position, you open up a whole can of worms.

Edited by fred67

If you don't like the advertisements, use AdBlock(A program for firefox). It blocks all advertisements. Ever since I downloaded it, I have yet to see one. Also, you can block the advertisement in Firefox without the AdBlock program. The next time you see that specific advertisement, go to Tools->Page Info->Media. There, find the advertisement and click "Block Images from ...".

And also, to the topic starter's first question: EB can't remove those advertisements. They come in through Google. They basically have no control over them. Unless that the company payed to show their advertisements here, I think.

First of all, no religious discussions please!

I do agree it's unfortunate there seem to be ads displayed with religious content, but most of the time the ads shown on EB should be more oriented towards the content of our site, so I assume it's more an exception. The system works in a way that Google decides which ads are displayed but they do learn about our site content and try to make the ads as targeted as possible.

I really think we shouldn't start discussing religion here.

I don't think it's a religious argument... nobody is writing in support of the ideology or teachings of Scientology. Just because I don't think their completely non-offensive ad shouldn't be censored does not mean I support them. It's a discussion about an organization advertising on EB (even if via Google), and whether EB should proactively monitor ads and filter out... what? What they find offensive? What they think others might find offensive? That's folly.

If you value freedom and liberty you must understand people will do and say things you don't like, but until they violate the rights of others, you have to accept it.

Because that they are dangerous is only your opinion. Where are all the dead bodies if they're so dangerous?

Edit: Or do you mean the ideas are dangerous? If you want to take that position, you open up a whole can of worms.

That really looks like it's going to turn into a religious debate.

That really looks like it's going to turn into a religious debate.

No it won't because I've answered the question regarding the ads and there's really nothing much more to be added.

Topic closed!

Ironically you've increased the chance of seeing those ads turning up here by talking about them! Also; it could be more a sign of your browsing habits. On EB I see loads of Australian LEGO and Android Phone ads! :laugh:

Ironically you've increased the chance of seeing those ads turning up here by talking about them! Also; it could be more a sign of your browsing habits. On EB I see loads of Australian LEGO and Android Phone ads! :laugh:

Not to mention that the Google ads appear by what is being talked about, so the only way that came up in the first place was there was no text on the page you were on and Google had to insert an ad based on other information on your browser or by completely random chance. The probability of that happening again is pretty low...

And guess which ad I currently have shown on my page... :laugh:

I've got "Weight Watches". :sceptic: It seems Google has been talking to my scales.

There is an Ad on the main forum board that uses sound and its quite annoying.

Its an Ad that says " Congratulations you are the 100,000th visitor, claim your prize!"

And the ad will actually have someone say "CONGRATULATIONS! You Won!"

Its annoying because if I leave my sound on, out of random you hear the voice. I'm glad that it didnt show up when I'm in school. Any way to get rid of that ad? :sceptic:

That is one annoying ad. I don't think EB can control the ads, since they are made be Google. Maybe you could just turn the sound off.