nana

Is It Worth Buying an Emerald Night Now?

I have never bought any Lego train before. Now since I am building a winter village, I am considering to make it surrounded by a train. The emerald night is an old fashioned one and it looks fabulous. However, it's sold about 200 usd at ebay. I am not much attracted to the other modern models. Is the emerald night worth the money or maybe there will be another old fashioned train coming soon after Horizon Express?

Have you looked at/read the review?

It's a beautiful train - in fact, I'd say it's among the nicest designed trains ever made by LEGO. It would certainly look great in a Christmas Village.

As with all questions like this, it's a personal preference. If you really like it, I would recommend buying. Each year that Ebay price grows.

Here's a link to the two reviews of the Emerald Night in this forum

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28273

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59204

As for what's coming next, there is 79111 Constitution Train Chase set and you can find a link to images within this thread http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74142. It's not available until April or so and probably isn't Christmassy enough without some enhancing.

Have you looked at/read the review?

It's a beautiful train - in fact, I'd say it's among the nicest designed trains ever made by LEGO. It would certainly look great in a Christmas Village.

As with all questions like this, it's a personal preference. If you really like it, I would recommend buying. Each year that Ebay price grows.

The reviews make Emerald Night more tempting. Yeah, I know, but thank you for answering my futile question. :)

Do you have a Hogwarts Express? It looks quite classical, too.

Here's a link to the two reviews of the Emerald Night in this forum

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=28273

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=59204

As for what's coming next, there is 79111 Constitution Train Chase set and you can find a link to images within this thread http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=74142. It's not available until April or so and probably isn't Christmassy enough without some enhancing.

Thank you very much! Don't know why I missed the second review, which is more comprehensive. The train in 79111 is cool but looks a little strange to me.

Edited by nana

Then there was also the Holiday train (10173) which lego brought out in 2006.

2087394101_3a8c4a96a1_b.jpg

But don't bother about finding a cheap one its worth its weight in gold nowadays :tongue:

The EN is no doubt a beautiful train, however it can have issues running reliably. There are fixes available but it can take a bit of mucking around and some odd extra parts. The bricklink price is about $180 which is probably as good as you'll get it for. It has a number of rare pieces which will be hard to find cheaply so putting it together from parts is probably not worthwhile. Many people also feel it needs extra carriages, which make the tan windows even more sought after and therefore expensive.

The holiday train is a cute train but was designed for the now defunct 9V train motor and track, so motorising it would also take a bit of trial and error if you wanted to use the newer Power Functions train motor. From memory it doesn't have too many exotic pieces so despite the 2nd hand price it would be possible to buy the parts on bricklink fairly reasonably, and use instructions downloaded from the lego customer service website.

The Hogwarts trains (there have been about three versions now) tend to suffer a bit from being more designed as toys for Hogwarts fans than train fans, IMHO. Some of them (the first two) don't have proper train wheels so if you want to motorise those ones you also need to convert all the wheels to make them run well on train track. The third one has standard train wheels on the carriages as well as the engine (unlike the large drivers on the Emerald Night engine) so it's not very realistic. There is also a motorised version, but it is ~$350 on bricklink now so probably better to buy the parts and work from downloaded instructions (though the 9V motor is likely to be expensive so a PF motor might be a cheaper option), and it too has small wheels on the engine in any case.

Go for it. I love the Emerald Night. I just missed it after coming out of my Dark Ages. It is one set I definitely wish I would have picked up when it was available, but I won't spend double what it retailed for, I just won't. But that is your call on how much you are willing to spend. I agree the price will continue to rise, but it will peak eventually if you are willing to wait and see how high that peak is. You could always use the instructions and change the color of the EN to something more available and thusly cheaper.

They are releasing a new Western train for the Lone Ranger theme if that is appealing at all. I'm sure you could modify that just as easily as any other train.

I don't know anything about power functions, so I wouldn't know which is the easiest for that.

I would not recommend the Emerald Night (EN). For a first time train buyer I think you will be dissapointed. IMO the EN looks unfinnished with only 1-2 passenger cars. Out of the box you have 2/3 engine with tender and then only 1/3 stockcars..... You would need to spend a lot of money to get more passenger cars.

Remember the colours of that beautiful engine...... Then there is that dredfull grey PF XL motor that will fill out the entire cap. :cry_sad: IMO that does NOT look nice. :thumbdown: And you will have that grey batt.box sticking out of the tender. :thumbdown:

EN is a beautifull lego train model. No question about it! :wub: But for now I have yet to see a powered MOC of it that is both functional and true to its look. I would have it only as a "cold" train on a layout.

I would recommend a 9V steam train (ex. 10205) if you want that look. For a newer look go for 7938 or 7939 or an RC train.

Best of luck! :classic:

Edited by Hechristensen

It's a beautiful train IMO but I didn't get it for several reasons:

#1) Price, It was about US$ 150 on Amazon when I was seriously considering it. I'm trying not to spend so much on my hobbies.

#2) It looks European to me and as much as I adore Europe and it's trains, the layout I have in mind looks more American. You can mod it (to take those 'blinders' off) but then if you're going to do that, why spend the cash to buy the official model?

So, I settled for the Maersk diesel as it very much reminds me of my favorite real-life engine (GP-40 if I remember correctly? It's been awhile since my HO layout was up and running). Perhaps in the future when I get some more experience with building I can make my own Lego steam engine.

I've got a little boy so that new Lone Ranger steam train set is looking promising. It will be something that we can both play with hopefully.

Edited by bjtpro

I can honestly tell you that I would not be here, back in Lego, If it wasn't for the Emerald Night train. It does have issues with operating smoothly and there are fixes for that but even just sitting still it is pretty awesome. I have a modified tender with a 9V motor underneath that makes it run and powers the PF (newer) type lights on the front. I took out the actual motor on one of the old 9V units to power the lights while it sits on the shelf the rest of the year. Christmas time it gets it's motor back and cleaned up to go under the tree. In my opinion, the PF motor and battery box are unacceptably ugly on this beauty. I made a flat-bed train car for Christmas with Lego trees and brick built presents for the train and a small caboose. It looks great, was pretty easy to make, seems long enough to me and is light enough to run. Happy Holidays!!!

(buy it!!!)

:)

Edited by wondermonkey

I am still debating with myself about whether to buy EN or not, hoping there will be a super deal somewhere after Christmas. :) If not, I will make my mind by then.

Thank you guys for letting me know what you think and I learnt a lot, especially about the engine. I am completely new to Lego trains and honestly, was not very interested in trains at all. Trains are always for boys/men. But the Emerald Night is so beautiful. It reminds me some romantic plots lost in my memory. I also agree it looks somewhat unfinished. It will look much more balanced with at least one more coach.

If you're not in a rush to get it before christmas you may want to consider the new Lone Ranger train that will be in the shops next year.

For a winter village you'd probably change the gun for a coach but it would be a nice start, and cheaper than the EN on eBay.

If you are looking for a lego steam train, Emerald Night is the one! :thumbup:

But for now I have yet to see a powered MOC of it that is both functional and true to its look.

Take a look at my train. I just uploaded a new video in my MOD: Emerald Night thread.

Do the mods described in RailBricks and the forum, and turn the engine into a push-along train.

Then, place a 9V or PF motor under the wagon. With PF, always place the battery box straight above the motor.

It looks European to me ...

Well, definitely British. :classic: It is quite obvious that Emerald Night is based on the British engine, Flying Scotsman:

800px-Flying_Scotsman_in_Doncaster.JPG

Trains are always for boys/men.

Oh no! I've been doing it all wrong. I must rush off immediately and give away all my trains and only buy Friends sets from now on. :laugh:

Emerald Night is a great build; looks good on its own without track, and will only go up in price. Unless Lego produce a new steam locomotive within the next 1-2 years (unlikely as Horizon Express / TGV is next) it is definitely worth getting it now; and slowing building up additional carriages over time. Of course you can also build EN in different colours using Bricklink - but the official model is faster.

If you really want realism and are happy to build - then there are many excellent MOC's out there which can be excellent engines - just look for the BR series often found in this sub-forum.

If you want cheaper price and more 'Lego like' experience then the older style 12V / 4.5V steam locomotives (updated to PF using PF motor instead of 12V / 4.5V, and a custom tender with integrated PF battery etc) can provide a great experience.

In the end only you know what your heart says.

The Emerald Night is a set that will only go up in price. Obviously that is the case (since it is retired) but even with a large amount on the market, at high prices, it continues to sell well.

If Lego does not bring out another steam engine, it will be highly desired for being the only adult collector's steam locomotive.

If Lego does bring out another steam engine, it will continue to be sought after as new collectors, having bought the new set, search for the retired set.

If you don't have one, get one. I really doubt you'll regret it, and even if you do, they command respectable prices in used condition, allowing you sell it onwards for your money back.

As for the carriage, it's not difficult to build in a different livery, or you can wait and hope that the parts become available again (tan windows).

I just brick linked a holiday train. The cheapest price I found for the white train windows was like 50 cents or more each ( from a seller that had the quantity I needed). So, I bought purple ones for 2 cents each and bought a can of white spray paint formulated for plastic. Since this was a single use part (for the train only), it worked out pretty well. I wouldn't recommend it for reusing the bricks over and over as the paint made it a little tougher to put together. That being said, just spray paint tan windows and you'll be fine.

Just clicked the purchase button on bricklink, 175 plus shipping. Christmas is a good excuse to buy something expensive. Now I am on my way to motorize it or at least buy some tracks first. Happy Christmas everyone!

Congratulations - you will not regret it. Welcome to the TrainHead club.

Let us (particularly those of us w/o an Emerald Night) know your impressions of it, if it's not too much trouble, would you? I've held a sealed box in my hand but neither seen nor touched the actual model.

Let us (particularly those of us w/o an Emerald Night) know your impressions of it, if it's not too much trouble, would you? I've held a sealed box in my hand but neither seen nor touched the actual model.

It'll be very difficult for me to let a big set sealed for long. I will certainly let you know my impression. It may take me several weeks to build it since I only have a little spare time every evening. Nearly all of the sets I have now are buildings or houses, so I guess it could be a fantastic building experience. :)

update: The shipping fee for EN was very high. I decided to buy Hogwarts Castle instead before it doubled its price like EN did. It was a very hard decision. As a student, Lego is a such expensive hobby. Happy holiday!

Edited by nana