Blakstone

Next CUUSOO set: 21103 Back to the Future™ Time Machine

I'd wait for the press release. Could be the minifigures and extras are being shown then.

The press release! :tongue:

{pic}

I see what you did there. Now all we need are HD pictures. :poke:

Hold your horses folks! I believe I can see gullwing doors on the set. If you look closely, you will see that both the door area and the roof have hinges between them. The roof obviously won't open so maybe the doors will? I'm not giving up hope for minifigures just yet.

Edited by Lance

Not looking good for the minifigs. If you notice in that video, which I didn't notice when the video first came out, he states the next set is the BTTF time machine. Doesn't mention the figures at all.

Edited by Super Goblin

No figures will undoubtedly damage sales, if there aren't anyway. :sceptic: I'm still on the fence about the model as it is, that hood is just awful. The figures are the dealbreaker.

Could that horrible stepped hood be that way so you can swap in parts for the BttF 3 variant with the box of tubes and junk on the hood? It still seems a weird design decision. Is that large flat sloped light bley piece out of production or not available to use for the model?

That piece is currently available in the UCS X-wing, Boulder Bowling and Republic Gunship. No reason for them not to use it.

Ah, so this might be the final version of the Deorean Time Machine? It looks...pretty much exactly the same as the prototype build that's been touted about in the last few videos the Cuusoo teams's released. Which means the team decided to sacrifice the (admittedly good-looking, but illegal) 6x8 hood build for something more workable.

Now, as someone who's actually been paying attention to all the released videos, I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions you guys seem to have about this set and perhaps propose a sensible theory or two of my own.

A. There aren't any minifigures in this set!

There definitely is at least one minifigure slated to be included in the set. Want proof? Watch the "Press release"

above, and note the front area of the DeLorean when it first rolls in.

_delorean_with_marty_mcfly.png

This image clearly shows that there is a minifigure with a red torso and black sleeves in the DeLorean, which is a good match for Marty McFly in his BttF2 outfit. So why, you ask, isn't the minifigure included in the promo shot on the flier? Read on.

B. The hood looks ugly! Why didn't they use the 6x8 slope piece as seen in the original proposal?

Yes, the hood isn't as smooth as the real DeLorean in the films- but, there's a good reason for that. Recall that the original proposal includes several slightly alternate builds of the time machine, including this one here:

thumb640x360.jpg

... and on that hood lies the problem, a blatantly illegal connection that wouldn't hold up to Lego's standards. Clearly the Cuusoo designers opted to redesign the front for a more legal build-friendly version that would allow the adding of a front box for this particular variation.

"But Canti", you ask, "how do you know that Lego's actually going to include all the spare parts to make these variants? For all we know Lego is including nothing more than what's in the image and just leaving us with a terrible hood!"

For that, I again remind you that Lego has left the model virtually unchanged from its prototype version, and refer you to these images of that very prototype:

bttf3_variant_resize.png

gull-wing_doors_resize.png

(Incidentally, the above image shows that the doors do indeed open, and in true 'gull-wing' style.)

doors_open__hood_box.png

(Screencaps taken from the video located

.)

These images show the time machine constructed in two variantions:

• one with the front box connected to the hood (made possible by the 'stepped' technique) aka the BttF 3 variant, and
  • one without the Mr. Fusion (white machine) affixed to the back, aka the BttF 1 variant.
  • (The BttF 2 variant is shown on the flier- it has the Mr. Fusion attached that the BttF 1 variant doesn't have.)

Note that there's never more than one DeLorean visible in the video, so it's very likely that the model shown there is the same prototype with different bits added at different times during the video's interview. This is fairly strong proof that Lego intends to include pieces not just for the machine itself, but also the variants- just like the proposal shows!

If this theory is correct, then it also explains why the flier's picture doesn't show minifigures- it's not meant to be the main promo image for the set, but rather an image that just shows off the BttF 2 variant of the model, with Mr. Fusion added to the back and the wheels lifted to show the 'flying' feature. If that's true, then there's also a BttF 3 variant image that would have the hood box, and most importantly, a BttF 1 main variant that shows the basic model with figure(s)!

So there's no need to panic guys! What most likely happened is that the designer behind the flier was given just the one image to use, which ended up being an image that doesn't represent the complete set well. Of course, only time will tell, but I'm willing to bet the final reveal of this model will lay everyone's fears to rest. :grin:

Edited by Canticleer blues

Ah, so this might be the final version of the Deorean Time Machine? It looks...pretty much exactly the same as the prototype build that's been touted about in the last few videos the Cuusoo teams's released. Which means the team decided to sacrifice the (admittedly good-looking, but illegal) 6x8 hood build for something more workable.

Now, as someone who's actually been paying attention to all the released videos, I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions you guys seem to have about this set and perhaps propose a sensible theory or two of my own.

A. There aren't any minifigures in this set!

There definitely is at least one minifigure slated to be included in the set. Want proof? Watch the "Press release"

above, and note the front area of the DeLorean when it first rolls in.

_delorean_with_marty_mcfly.png

This image clearly shows that there is a minifigure with a red torso and black sleeves in the DeLorean, which is a good match for Marty McFly in his BttF2 outfit. So why, you ask, isn't the minifigure included in the promo shot on the flier? Read on.

I'm not convinced, tbh.

(1) The minifig may just be a placeholder for BYO minifigs.

(2) If they included minifigs, would it not be a 'fleshie'(which it is clearly not in the photo)?

(3) If anything, the minifig in the photo is Marty in his "coast guard" vest, which is the most iconic outfit of the series.

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

(1) The minifig may just be a placeholder for BYO minifigs.

There's no precedent for that. In every other Cuusoo video, the models shown include no extra pieces other than what Lego claims to be in the final model. No video has yet shown features that were not included in the final model.

(2) If they included minifigs, would it not be a 'fleshie'(which it is clearly not in the photo)?

Remember that the model shown in the video is the prototype and not the final production model. It's entirely likely that the figure (provided it's included) will be flesh when the set reaches shelves.

(3) If anything, the minifig in the photo is Marty in his "coast guard" vest, which is the most iconic outfit of the series.

I agree, although the sleeves on the torso looked black and not blue so I opted for that variant. Either one would reflect a figure that could be reasonably construed to be a representation of the character of Marty McFly.

Edited by Canticleer blues

There's no precedent for that. In every other Cuusoo video, the models shown include no extra pieces other than what Lego claims to be in the final model. No video has yet shown features that were not included in the final model .

That's true. I'm just playing devil's advocate. However there's no real precedent with Cuusoo and minifigs. I still think that at least one will be included. Anybody wanna take a stab at pricing? I say same a Minecraft. Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

Hang on - the last part of that video refers to the 3 models that are still in review for the Fall... But I thought we have already seen the results of this? Was this video filmed and released before the announcement of the Mars Curiosity Rover?

Back on topic though - I love the idea that we may get 3 versions of the DeLorean - that would be pretty amazing!

The minifigure if it's the same one (and if it even has one) has seems to have yellow skin. Won't fit with basically all other franchise figures that aren't real old. :P

Hang on - the last part of that video refers to the 3 models that are still in review for the Fall... But I thought we have already seen the results of this? Was this video filmed and released before the announcement of the Mars Curiosity Rover?

Yes, GRogall was just kidding when he said this was the press release, other than it being the press release for the announcement of the set.

There will be 2 (great) minifigs ! :grin:

http://www.bricknews...aspx?NewsID=354

Okay, this turned from quite underwhelming to a must have set. The Minifigs look great and I love the 1x2 tile depicting the time machine computer. I hope its printed. The possibility to build the various forms of the car is also a great touch from LEGO. Can't wait to get this set in my hands.

Indeed, the new info also convinces me that this is actually quite a good set. I might even buy it...

Like always. First pic is crappy. Second pic gives some Must-Have-detail away. :grin:

The minifigs look awesome! I'm at least 60% sure I'm going to get this. Note that the picture says the car can be built in 3 ways to represent each movie! :grin:

take-my-money.gif

:grin: -Sci

Edited by CM4S

I really love the Marty and Doc minifigures :wub: And I'm willing to forgive the design flaws now.

Well those Figs look amazing, most likely I'll get next time I'm at the LEGO store. The Car itself isn't terrible, I'm sure some mods to the hood could be made to make it look better. Overall this set is pretty good. The only thing I wanted that isn't there is the Gibson 1963 ES-345TD guitar for the Under the Sea dance. I know it doesn't fit the scene but still would have been awesome.