Blakstone

Next CUUSOO set: 21103 Back to the Future™ Time Machine

Laservampire, your mod is excellent and really improves the DeLorean's look. I wonder why TLG didn't design it that way to begin with? It's easy to add all the time circuits onto the front using your method.

I can't take full credit for the hood, the plate and hinge thing came from "The Real Indiana Jones" a few pages back, I just refined the idea some more and smoothed it out.

Indeed that makes more sense than what I did :laugh:

Now I've got the actual model in hand it'll make it a lot easier to strengthen the design. I've changed the construction a little further to minimize the parts you need to buy as well.

Making a 8-wide front (the SNOT part) might also look better actually, I'll try that with a 2x8 dark grey plate instead of the 1x2+2x6.

I was wondering what everybody's is on whether or not Lego will be correcting the "sheild" mistake on the brick and on the box, and if so, if you think the secondary value will go up substantially or not?

Maybe they will correct it on the tile but not on the box, since it almost not visible on the box.

This way you can't tell which version is inside.

That would be funny. It would be the first time a opened set could be of higher value than a sealed one. :laugh:

I took some great ideas from here and there and made this:

uibp.jpg

1. The most obvious change is the 6x6 tile for the hood. I thought the use of the big slope in the original cuusoo model made it look too boxy. Still, I don't like the little gaps on the sides of the hood.
  2. In order to fit Doc and his hair, I had to raise the cockpit up by one plate height. This of course raised the doors as well so I had to enlarge the doors by the same amount. This also allowed me to change the gray cheese slope by the rear wheel to a normal slope brick, which seems to fit better with the inverted slope on the door.
  3. I modded the cockpit floor so I could add jumper plates to offset the seating so both Marty and Doc can sit securely side by side. The seat pattern was also improved.
  4. The horizontal black line now runs consistently and fully across the side of the car.
  5. I didn't like how the front part was a bit wobbly so I changed how that was attached.

zkbf.jpg

cqhw.jpg

I may have solved my hood gap problem with a simple change: I simply shift the two sideway-binoculars pieces up half a stud (so it attaches from the center peg) and that covers the gap. I also replaced the two 1x2 tiles with 1x3 tiles to smooth out the sides of the hood and to re-enforce the hose connector.

srcy.jpg

My set arrived from Toys R Us USA earlier, just finished putting it together and it is AWESOME. Only way they could top this is if they green light one of the Ghostbusters projects and make that into a set or if they make a set of the steam train time machine from BTTF3.

My set does have the incorrectly-printed panel piece (sheild instead of shield), anyone know what I need to do on the customer service website to get them to send me the correctly-printed one?

My set does have the incorrectly-printed panel piece (sheild instead of shield), anyone know what I need to do on the customer service website to get them to send me the correctly-printed one?

As far as I know, they haven't announced a correctly-printed one yet; they're looking into a fix, but so far there's no guarantee there will be a fix.

Honestly, I was surprised they even acknowledged it at all. Though the error is there, it's a mere transposition of two letters of very small type, and it's easy to overlook completely. But they have indeed said they're looking into the possibility of a fix (though keep in mind that if it happens at all, it could wind up being just a sticker that one applies over the brick to cover up the misspelled print with a corrected one, rather than a whole newly-printed panel piece).

I ordered my set on 9th September when I noticed they were back in stock on S@H. It's now the 18th, my order is still in progress and the Delorean is now showing as not in stock again until the 15th October. Not real happy as I wanted it for a display my group is doing this weekend and delivery takes 3-4 days to arrive is Aus.

Using Harkin's mod, which is brilliant, I was able to apply the Part III touches. Seems a little too grey though.

u399.jpg

I must have rebuilt the front fender a dozen times in trying to get it look right and add details. Replaced some of the black with dark grey to match the real one and added a black slope to the underside to smooth it out.

phzi.jpg

Only thing I can think of improving is the lack of white wall tires. Has anyone tried something like this?

http://www.flickr.co...per/6818258572/

6818258572_cb7bc9e78e.jpg

I'm unsure if I can make something similar and still have it compatible with the technic pin.

Larry Lars assembled an excellent Delorean Time Machine, but has he offered any instructions or exploded views of his Delorean? He has for some of his other creations, but I'm coming up empty with my search. Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone have a good mod for this to get both Doc and Marty to fit at once?

See my pics a few posts up. I added jumper plates to get the spacing right and the roof height needs to be raised by one plate.

Anyone have a good mod for this to get both Doc and Marty to fit at once?

Here's my technique, similar to badbob's.

Replacing the 2x4 grey plate holding the roof together with a 2x3 allows for more head room, Doc needs it.

dsc_0018.jpg

A 2x16 runs the length of the car, by taking it out and using 2 2x6 plates instead, there's room for 4 jumper plates and a 1x2 plate on both sides, I think.

dsc_0019.jpg

dsc_0016.jpg

Also, Larry the barista's hair piece from the TLM CMFs works quite well for Marty, I think it even looks more accurate.

dsc_0020.jpg

Here's my technique, similar to badbob's.

Awesome, thank you! Used three rows of jumper plates and used the middle ones to give them a centre console as well.

Awesome, thank you! Used three rows of jumper plates and used the middle ones to give them a centre console as well.

Good idea, I'll try that.

Just curious but do current releases of the set have the correctly spelled flux-capacitor piece? Has anyone gotten the correct replacement piece from LEGO? I failed two times to get the correct replacement piece from LEGO and am unsure if it is the right time to try again.

Just curious but do current releases of the set have the correctly spelled flux-capacitor piece? Has anyone gotten the correct replacement piece from LEGO? I failed two times to get the correct replacement piece from LEGO and am unsure if it is the right time to try again.

Got mine this week, it's still printed wrong. I've contacted LEGO and they're yet to respond about the replacement piece.

I got one correct replacement only even though I had requested two (as I had purchased two sets). Can't be bothered chasing it up to get the other one. I think it has a different part number though according to my 'order' for it.

It's great that a simple and elegant solution to the original design problem was found as a community, maybe we should launch our own line of Eurobricks branded BttF sets.

I'm getting mine next month with the martian, looking forward to it, and will modded it like the ones in here, thanks guys for the tips.

I hope mine has the correct flux spelling, I don't like to go to the trouble of getting the replacement, it always feels like such a waste of resources.

Edited by CustomJoe_MD

I hope mine has the correct flux spelling, I don't like to go to the trouble of getting the replacement, it always feels like such a waste of resources.

It won't.