Blakstone

Next CUUSOO set: 21103 Back to the Future™ Time Machine

It is on shelves in uk brand stores, because of the misprint in catalogues I guess they felt they had to honour July 18. I'm walking into Stratford now...

Rufus's review definitely is very thorough and puts the FBTB review to shame. Usually, FBTB does a remarkable job being thorough in their reviews. As such, I'm used to their reviews being more negative than those on other sites — they never hesitate to point out if MOCs or previous LEGO versions of the subject in question manage to be more authentic to the source material. So it was a shocking disappointment that the FBTB review basically took for granted that an 8x6 slope was an inherently better solution than the tiles without so much as an image for comparison, and then proceeded to go through what felt more like a laundry list of "things I hate" than a review. Things like building techniques, the building experience, etc? Ignored almost entirely! Even comparisons to the actual DMC-12 are made offhand without providing reference photos for comparison.

The FBTB review was also quite ignorant in some respects, stating that the box was "unlike any previous LEGO sets other than the Yoda Chronicles teaser promo set... suggesting that the builder has never owned or read a review of an Architecture set. I'm used to FBTB existing in a sort of licensed-themes bubble, and I don't fault them for that — after all, some of my preferred forums like BZPower exist in a bit of a "constraction themes bubble" and make similar errors that could have been corrected with simple research. But previous reviews on FBTB set me up to expect a lot more than what this amateurish review was able to deliver.

Anyway, after reading Rufus's review I'm DEFINITELY going to be picking up this set. It seems like a fun build, a decent likeness of the original prop, and a model that fully meets The LEGO Group's high standards of quality. That isn't to say it doesn't have flaws (the interrupted black stripe on the side jumps out at me every time I look at the model from side or 3/4 view), but the whole idea of LEGO building is working with constraints, and I think the designers of this set made the right design decisions on the whole.

Thanks to 'vean', I was able to complete the LDD Delorean comparison.

Feel free to compare! :classic:

(Thanks Tolkien.)

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

Seriously? Where do I start? They could have done much better.

Finally they decided to produce this set. However, the Delorean is made really bad, especially the roof and, well, everything else.

I really, really wanted this set when ai heard they first approved it, but that car is just so bad. I can't justify buying a whole set just for the minifigures. I guess I am directing this money elsewhere. What a shame. I was so excited at first.

I am not impressed. The hood and the roof of the passenger compartment look horrible. I'm a fan of the movies and was really looking forward to seeing this set come out, but TLG could have really done better with this set.

The vehicle makes me laugh. Figs are great. Will not purchase this... for such a price !

That is an abomination if ever I've seen one. As I have no fondness for Back to the Future, I'll definitely have no notion of touching this. The minifigures are quite nice though, I'll give it that.

Don't know if I'll be picking this up. I don't think the DeLorean's that bad, but definitely worse than I expected.

The figs are great though.

Sure, this set is made of suck and CUUSOO is a sucky idea. TLG can design their sets just perfectly. This wannabe pleasing to the fan community is a laugh

That car looks like a piece of junk to me, especially the hood, the radiator grill, the doors... The original model on Cuusoo was better, without a doubt. But I chose Modular Western Town, anyway. The minifigs are cool, though.

Well I'm glad that box picture showed all three models, because I can now say that all three are rubbish.

Minifigs = awesome, but the car, man its a stinker.

I'm sure the designers had a whole range of limitations put on them, but there is a decision point, if its not going to look right based on the limitations then why do it at all.

Same thing applied with the mini Sydney Opera House. Why bother doing it at all if you are under so many limitations.

Personally I'm putting this set in the epic fail category.

Minifigs and flux capacitor are nice, but the rest of it is just awful! Lego what were you thinking? You butchered this builder's vision, which is what Cuusoo users asked for! Shame on you! :sick:

The car is atrocious. Too bad :(

Again, everybody has the right of their opinion but also ..........

You guys do know that the review of the set with comparision shots & info againts the Team BTTF model is up? I haven´t seen any of you making comments in there now when we can really judge the set and not just guess!

And yes - this is a somewhat grumpy post.

Find it strange that Smyths in the UK has the set already? :wacko:

Checked my store and the 2 others in Scotland and it's showing Coming Soon - 9th August as available to buy in store.

Lego Store in Glasgow has the set for sale now and "lots of stock through the back of the store" when I asked about it selling out before I could collect today.

Guy who answered the phone kindly offered to reserve for me to collect today, 4 reserved for me, family and friends. I'm the only Lego fan of the 4, the other 3 all want it because they, like me, grew up with the BTTF trilogy.

Just ot back up the excellent and spot on Review I also reviewed it on Brick Fanatics

Find it strange that Smyths in the UK has the set already? :wacko:

odd I thought that all cuusoo would be lego exclusives, does this mean that lego think this is good for a wider audience. Do you think we will see it in other stores. I was planning on using some VIP points to get this but if its in other shops we might get it for less in sales. BTW you cant get it now from Smyths: Coming Soon at Selected Store.

Next Available Date: 09 Aug 2013. edit sorry just read what cunningfox99 said again thought he was talking about lego shop first time I read it. edit 2, this might sound odd but how do you return in this formus (as in when writing go to a new line) when I hit return on keyboard nothing happens. (sorry badly off topic)

Edited by SMC

odd I thought that all cuusoo would be lego exclusives, does this mean that lego think this is good for a wider audience. Do you think we will see it in other stores. I was planning on using some VIP points to get this but if its in other shops we might get it for less in sales. BTW you cant get it now from Smyths: Coming Soon at Selected Store.

Next Available Date: 09 Aug 2013. edit sorry just read what cunningfox99 said again thought he was talking about lego shop first time I read it. edit 2, this might sound odd but how do you return in this formus (as in when writing go to a new line) when I hit return on keyboard nothing happens. (sorry badly off topic)

Some video game stores like GameStop carried the original Minecraft set, so it's already been established that they're not all LEGO exclusives.

The enter/return key should work to create line breaks on this forum, and it looks like it worked just fine at one point in your post. But you have to hit it twice to get a proper break between paragraphs.

edit got it to work by hitting toggle editing mode top left corner

back on topic, do you think we will see the set in other shops more likely to have sales, there have been times when Smyths have had an 20% off online code. £28 would be better than using my £10 VIP points to get it for £25

Edited by SMC

Confirmed, my other half has just picked up one from the Stratford, UK store, but shop at home still says the 1st August.

Again, everybody has the right of their opinion but also ..........

You guys do know that the review of the set with comparision shots & info againts the Team BTTF model is up? I haven´t seen any of you making comments in there now when we can really judge the set and not just guess!

And yes - this is a somewhat grumpy post.

Read the review, It's a great review and the comparison with the Cuusoo proposal was done great as well. I like the official Lego version a lot better (Do keep in mind it's a minifig scale model) then the Cuusoo proposal.

But the price here in The Netherlands keeps me from getting the set. €50,- for this set is just too much.

I also like the Lego version better especially when you consider you can build 3 different versions.

Bill

I wonder if this spelling "Slip" was done on purpose...

No doubt this error will increase the sales of the initial run of this set... People will be buying multiples because there is no doubt that variants and errors like this increase the value dramatically.. Especially since the error is also on the box...

No doubt this error will increase the sales of the initial run of this set... People will be buying multiples because there is no doubt that variants and errors like this increase the value dramatically.. Especially since the error is also on the box...

I wouldn't be so sure. Generally "misprints" are more valuable in markets where there's precedent for them selling for high prices. But that doesn't tend to happen too much with LEGO as far as I'm aware. Misprinted LEGO parts are generally just considered "defective", though there are examples like the old "flame-colored" bricks that did become collectors' items.

With a LEGO Cuusoo set, there is somewhat of an advantage. The smaller size of a LEGO Cuusoo production run means that a misprinted part will be that much rarer and more exclusive than it would have been in a regular-issue set. But overall I don't think people would be paying high prices for such parts unless they could find abundant examples of misprint parts selling for high prices in the past.

Saw the bottom right it say 004, what's it mean? Is there a earlier one?

It's because it's the fourth Cuusoo set (after the Shinkai 6500, the Hayabusa, and Minecraft).

Saw it in the Lego Shop in Watford, UK. £34.99.

Saw the bottom right it say 004, what's it mean? Is there a earlier one?

It's the 4th CuuSoo set produced.

The Japanese Sub #1

The Hayabusa Space Probe #2

Minecraft #3

BttF #4

And Mars Curiosity Rover will be #5

Edited by Faefrost

On purpose? That sounds a bit conspiracy theory to me :0) I'm sure fixing the print and box is an expense TLG can do without.

I don't think the misprinted versions will fetch especially higher prices.

I highly doubt this simply misprint will increase the value by any noticeable margin. Lego misprints don't seem to actually increase sales. Maybe by 50 cents or something crap :P.

I wouldn't be so sure. Generally "misprints" are more valuable in markets where there's precedent for them selling for high prices. But that doesn't tend to happen too much with LEGO as far as I'm aware. Misprinted LEGO parts are generally just considered "defective", though there are examples like the old "flame-colored" bricks that did become collectors' items.

With a LEGO Cuusoo set, there is somewhat of an advantage. The smaller size of a LEGO Cuusoo production run means that a misprinted part will be that much rarer and more exclusive than it would have been in a regular-issue set. But overall I don't think people would be paying high prices for such parts unless they could find abundant examples of misprint parts selling for high prices in the past.

Not only is the part misprinted, but it is also misprinted on the box and this will make the initial 10k run of the BTTF set's value increase dramatically because there is no doubt that the first 10k run will sell out quickly and be replaced by the fixed part and box on the following runs... This isn't just a misprint, it is a misspelling.... Collectors go nuts for stuff like this.... I deal in toys, and I know what hardcore fans want... People are already paying double the price on Ebay right now for this set... The initial run will be sold out quick..

My advice to anyone out there who has one of these misspelling sets is leave it in the box and get another one if they want to build it...

I highly doubt this simply misprint will increase the value by any noticeable margin. Lego misprints don't seem to actually increase sales. Maybe by 50 cents or something crap :P.

Watch in a year from now and see which version of the set is bringing in more money... :wink:

Edited by Paul Boratko