On a scale of 1 to 5  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding
  2. 2. Will you attempt to try out the Speedorz Game?

• 1 - Yes, I will try out the gameplay!
    • 2 - Maybe, but I am not very sure about it
    • 3 - No, I will give this a miss

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

Together with the earlier back-to-back review which I have done on the 70003 Eris' Eagle Interceptor, this review will focus mainly on the concept of the new Legends Of Chima Speedorz playing concept which built upon social interaction similar to the Ninjago Spinjitzu Game. Before I begin the review in proper, I will like to thanks TLG (The LEGO Group) and Eurobricks Staff for providing me an early opportunity to review this new theme. Now, let's go and take a look to see what Speedorz is all about.

Name: 70100 Ring of Fire

Theme: LEGO System / Legends Of Chima

Year: 2013

Pieces: 83

Minifigs: 1 minifigure

Price: USD $14.99, GBP N.A, EURO N.A, SGD $29.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An original packaging image of the 70100 Ring of Fire

8284029488_eb82b8daa9_o.jpg

Back view of the original packaging image of the 70100 Ring of Fire

8282969345_8b00f3e6aa_o.jpg

Combine these sets together and you will get a bigger challenge

8284029120_fbc1a1bf99_o.jpg

This illustration at the back of the packaging shows a greater playability by expanding and integrate these following Chima Speedorz sets which are the additional 70103 Boulder Bowling and the 70102 Chi Waterfall to form a larger challenge.

Razar taking the challenge of the Ring of Fire

8282967703_a0963351c1_o.jpg

So, what does the Ring of Fire is all about? It is basically seeing one of the Legends Of Chima characters taking an unique Speedorz challenge and in this case, it is Razar who will take his Speedorz and race through the Ring of Fire safely. Basically, I will think the entire concept is to hone a form of racing and taking it at another level with given obstacles and playing cards to add spice to the gameplay. I believe children are very fond of such social engaging game where they are able to challenge with one another over the 'Chi' crystals as form of winnings. It is similar to the concept of racing and the abstract of racing remains and it is done in a form of LEGO taste with new fusion.

The content of the sealed package

8282969023_ca513c95b4_o.jpg

This is the content of the sealed package and it comes with two small sealed packages, Speedorz bike's parts, start up gear, instruction manual and playing cards. After finishing the built, these are the remaining spare parts.

How does the Speedorz game works in simple presentation?

8284028804_4df7e759e1_o.jpg

The pictorial illustration is a simple nine steps. Firstly, get yourself an opponent with Speedorz. Set up the challenge and prepare yourself by saying '1-2-CHI', which I believe it is meant as '3'. At the count of 'CHI', kick start the start up gear and the Speedorz bike will begin to move through the ramp and across the Ring of Fire, for example. If you missed it, you will lose. Then each of you will take a playing card and compare each others' courage points? The higher the points the more 'Chi' crystals you accumulate, you will win. I believe this is how I interpret but I guess I might not be entirely right.

Play well by applying the right method

8284028892_8c442ae677_o.jpg

Do not underestimate the Speedorz once it kick starts. It can move very fast especially if you used full power to pull up the start up gear. Once you pull it up, the wheel will begin to move at fast speed and it will move on its own with the kinetic energy that you have given to the Speedorz bike.

The 5 unique playing cards to add into the fun of the game

8282968399_cc820c3ee9_o.jpg

These are the 5 unique playing cards which have different attributes on it. Refer below for more detailed explanation on the terms.

Explanation of the symbols in the playing card

8284028646_c965e49025_o.jpg

As stated in the guidebook/instruction manual, the top left hand corner '1'. refer to tribe. No. 2 refers to battle powers which comprise of four attributes such as instinct, speed, courage and strength. No. 3 refers to the 'CHI' bonus, and it applies when you flip the card, the player may pay 1 'CHI' crystal to add the bonus to any connected battle power. Sounds like a power boost thing.

The building content of the package

8284028308_ebce2bd6a6_o.jpg

The Raven tribe minifigure - Razar

8284028184_eb51f40a50_o.jpg

Razar seems like a brave warrior of the Raven Tribe which shows no fear and mercy to its enemies. It appears Razar had gone through many tough fights including the loss of the left hand which is now replaced by an iron hook. In this set, Razar is equipped with a scimitar. It is the same minifigure as the one which is featured in the 70003 Eris' Eagle Interceptor.

A closer look at how the Speedorz Bike is formed

8282968045_3e4cd628da_o.jpg

The Speedorz bike is largely made up of two components which are the wheel base and the main chassis. It is connected by technic axles. The minifigure must be first placed in there before connecting the two components together. You are unable to place the minifigure if the Speedorz bike is first assembled.

How to place the start up gear

8284027986_516550667b_o.jpg

I do not know the official term of this component. Therefore, I am using a proxy to represent and called it as 'start up gear'. Place the start up gear between the wheel and push it down. Pull the start up gear almost immediately in order to kick start the wheel of the Speedorz bike.

Razar is racing on its unique Speedorz Bike

8284027932_fb688ac8a1_o.jpg

Jumping through the Ring of Fire

8282967607_ccdbc91c00_o.jpg

The only built of this set is the Ring of Fire which is merely made up of small parts with minimum greenery at the bottom. The ramp s relatively simple as well. The only nice thing about the built is the availability of the 1x4 trans-fire connecting hinges which are very useful parts for MOCing.

To conclude, I strongly believe this set is fun to play with if you have a group of friends to compete. However, whether if it will be successful remains unknown until the children start to get their hands onto these new Speedorz bike. It will be more expensive as compared to the previous Ninjago Spinners but the reason for the price increase is due to the availability of building parts to build up the challenge which explains the increase of USD$5. So, what do everyone think? Do you think you will like to try Speedorz as an AFOL or simply buy it for the sake of parts and minifigure? Or leaving it only to the children to play and wondering if it will be positive playing experience for them? I do believe it will be very addictive if there is something for the children to relate especially when there is a cartoon series for it.

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (The Speedorz bike is potentially fun to play with and it is made up of high quality components.)

Design: 8/10 (The Ring of Fire is a simple built and it is easily identifiable as the fire ring.)

Price: 5/10 (Price is on the high side. Not sure if its worthwhile to collect different type of Speedorz Bikes, Playing Cards and Building challenges.)

Overall: 7/10 (No harm giving it a try by getting on of this Speedorz to see if you will like to have that to play with.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr and My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Dear all,

I am very pleased to present to all of you on my latest completed reviewing project.

This review is now officially fit for public viewing. Please feel free to leave your thoughts.

WhiteFang

Awesome review 'WhiteFang'!

As much as I despise Chima sets, I've developed a strange fascination with these Speedorz sets over the past few weeks. This one is probably the one I will not pick up, simply because the Raven is easy to get.

Great review. I am not certain if I would pick this set up straight away. But all those trans red 1x4 hinged bricks really do Make for some great MOCing potential. That right there may be enough warrant a pick up from me. Once again thanks for the review.

Great review WhiteFang! :thumbup:

This set looks great and the quality of the parts does not disappoint.

The pricing for a minifigure and its accompanying accessories looked a bit steep, but I can't be complaining since these are made in Europe. :classic:

It's interesting to see you reviewed two of the Chima sets I'm interested in.

The Italian RRP is... crazy? 15 euros: that's the same RRP for, say, a SW battle pack, Gandalf arrives, 6 collectible minifigures.

Ninjago spinners RRP was 10 Euros, so I expected these Chima Speedorz to be even more expensive. But I still think the a regular cardboard box would help buyers saving a few bucks.

As for the set itself, I like it, Those minifigs look good without headgear too, and the ring itself is really eye-catching. I would have used a tile instead of plate (6x6), but I agree this set deserves a full 4 out of 5.

Now let's just wait for some sales/deals.

By far my favorite of the Speedorz, as I really love the ravens and the idea of a ring of fire is awesome. The metal on top of the Speedorz isn't quite doing anything for me, but I suppose it fits in with the raven idea. Love the card artwork though!

The transparent pieces that make up the ring of fire look useful. The rest isn't very interesting to me. As has been said, it's an easy to get minifigure, which lowers it's appeal.

Good review whitefang. I do have a further question about the speedorz. Does the bottom of the speedorz scrape along the floor? It looks like it would scratch up your Lego pretty quickly if it does.

PS. I would refer to the thing that starts the speedorz as a pull cord or zip cord. But maybe Lego have an official name too, I'm not sure.

I'm not sure about this new game. I did get the some of the Ninjago spinners, so I may pick one of these up to play with, we'll see. :sweet: Thanks for the review.

Thanks guys! I am glad you have enjoyed reading it.

It's interesting to see you reviewed two of the Chima sets I'm interested in.

The Italian RRP is... crazy? 15 euros: that's the same RRP for, say, a SW battle pack, Gandalf arrives, 6 collectible minifigures.

Ninjago spinners RRP was 10 Euros, so I expected these Chima Speedorz to be even more expensive. But I still think the a regular cardboard box would help buyers saving a few bucks.

As for the set itself, I like it, Those minifigs look good without headgear too, and the ring itself is really eye-catching. I would have used a tile instead of plate (6x6), but I agree this set deserves a full 4 out of 5.

Now let's just wait for some sales/deals.

Thanks Cobra. Good to know that both set which I have reviewed are of interest to you.

The transparent pieces that make up the ring of fire look useful. The rest isn't very interesting to me. As has been said, it's an easy to get minifigure, which lowers it's appeal.

Good review whitefang. I do have a further question about the speedorz. Does the bottom of the speedorz scrape along the floor? It looks like it would scratch up your Lego pretty quickly if it does.

PS. I would refer to the thing that starts the speedorz as a pull cord or zip cord. But maybe Lego have an official name too, I'm not sure.

Not really. It won't scrape along the floor that much unless you do it on a rough terrain. Good suggestion on the suggested name for the red colour gear. I am also curious of its official term too.

Isn't the "start up gear" just called a rip cord or something? I know this mechanic has been used in a few other toy lines before. Anyways nice review, I may or may not need to check this line out more when I see it in stores near me depending what my other Lego purchases look like next year.

Edited by Deathleech

Isn't the "start up gear" just called a rip cord or something? I know this mechanic has been used in a few other toy lines before. Anyways nice review, I may or may not need to check this line out more when I see it in stores near me depending what my other Lego purchases look like next year.

Ah, the term 'rip cord' made much better sense. I was not certain of its appropriate representation.