Solscud007

Review: 75005 Rancor Pit

gallery_101_23_281.gif

I went to my local Toys R Us in search for the new Batman Tumbler/BAT set that some members have already found. To my dismay I did not find it. But i did find the Rancor Pit!!! I bought it with Urukai Army set and got $25 off.

Minifigs: Luke Skywalker, Gamorrean Guard, Malakili (Rancor Keeper), and of course the Rancor.

Build: Rancor Pit

Price3: $59.99 (TRU had it for $64.99)

Subtheme: Return of the Jedi

Pieces: 380Release: Now I assume.

Front of the box. Yoda layout.

p1080139.jpg

Back of the box: Shows the features parts of the Rancor and how this set combines with 9516 Jabba's Palace.

p1080140.jpg

p1080112.jpg

p1080113.jpg

Contents of the box:Here are all the big bags and instructions

p1080141.jpg

Minifigs first!! Bag one has luke and Gamorean Guard. The guard is identical with the one from Jabba's palace. But luke has a new face!!!

p1080115.jpg

Luke's face has lines under his smile. I think it is to reflect the aged Mark Hamill.

p1080116.jpg

The torso is the same as in the Skiff set. But this head has an alternate face!!!

p1080117.jpg

Now onto the Rancor!!!

p1080142.jpg

p1080119.jpg

Beautiful isnt he?

p1080120.jpg

Bag two minifig. It also includes a skeleton but nothing special about that.

Malakili the Rancor Keeper

p1080121.jpg

He has back fat printing and a crying face haha.

p1080122.jpg

Now onto the pit itself.Bag one contents

p1080123.jpgp1080124.jpg

There is a small alcove for Malakili's tools. I suppose these are needed to clean up after the Rancor? the bucket seems a little too small for Rancor waste haha.

p1080125.jpg

Bag one complete.

p1080126.jpg

These pieces are part of Malakili's staff. I dont think these pieces have existed before? Correct me if I am wrong.

p1080127.jpg

Bag two contents

p1080128.jpg

Bag two complete.

p1080129.jpg

Bag three builds the uprights and bag four builds the top portion.

p1080130.jpg

Extra pieces

.p1080131.jpg

Now for some fun!!

p1080132.jpgp1080133.jpgp1080134.jpg

You can see that there are 4 holes that mate with the 4 points ontop of the pit. So Jabba's throne room can interlock with the pit.p1080137.jpg

Here they are combined.

p1080138.jpg

p1080211.jpg

p1080212.jpgp1080210.jpg

Rancor gets a snack

p1080135.jpg

Luke hides from the Rancor.

p1080136.jpg

Playability: 9/10* This score is a bit tricky. As a set by itself it has it's merits but it truly shines when combined with Jabba's Palace. By itself I think I would give it 7/10. The set doesnt really do much. It is the figures that make the play fun.

Design: 6/10* As I said earlier the set, by itself, is a bit stark and doesnt do much. The portcullis is nice but the technic part that holds it up is a bit of an eyesore. However the design to link with the Jabba's Palace is the best part.

Price: 2/10 - This has got to be the biggest part that I dislike. 380 pieces for a $60-$65 set? Outrageous.But if you consider the fact that the Rancor is probably worth about $20 then the set is only $40. Not terrible but not great.

Minifigures: 10/10 - Rancor, Keeper, and Luke's new face really are the best parts of the set.Parts: 9/10 - not really sure about this part. they match Jabba's palace.Overall 26/50 - Not a great score. But don't let that detract you. This set really completes Jabba's Palace and has been something SW fans have been dying to have. Mainly the star of the set, The Rancor. That alone makes up for the price issue.

Nice review, Solscud007! I love the backlit shots of the cave.

Price: 2/10 - This has got to be the biggest part that I dislike. 380 pieces for a $65 set? Outrageous.

I agree it's a pricey set, but two points just to be fair: First, IIRC the MSRP is $60 and your $65 price included the TRU markup. Second, it may only have 380 pieces but it comes with a giant freakin' rancor! :tongue: That's gotta add something to the cost (and the value); the question is whether you think a big ol' rancor is a good reason to pay a $20 premium on 40 bucks worth of parts.

I went to my local Toys R Us in search for the new Batman Tumbler/BAT set that some members have already found. To my dismay I did not find it.

Better luck next time. :grin:

Nice review, Solscud007! I love the backlit shots of the cave.

I agree it's a pricey set, but two points just to be fair: First, IIRC the MSRP is $60 and your $65 price included the TRU markup. Second, it may only have 380 pieces but it comes with a giant freakin' rancor! :tongue: That's gotta add something to the cost (and the value); the question is whether you think a big ol' rancor is a good reason to pay a $20 premium on 40 bucks worth of parts.

Better luck next time. :grin:

Thanks. I need to find out what the 6 digit item number is for the batman set. Anyway I got the $25 off when I bought this and the Urukhai army set. So the price wasn't that bad. But at full price. Ouch. As I said in my conclusion the Rancor is something we SW fans have been dying to have. It does make up for a lot. I like the set. Just the price kinda hurts.

Thanks. I need to find out what the 6 digit item number is for the batman set. So I can look it up. Anyway I got the $25 off when I bought this and the Urukhai army set. So the price wasn't that bad. But at full price. Ouch. As I said in my conclusion the Rancor is something we SW fans have been dying to have. It does make up for a lot. I like the set. Just the price kinda hurts.

Great review! I really love the look of the Rancor but the rest of the set is just SO boring looking to me. There's no way I could justify paying $60 for it. I'll try to be patient and wait till it gets seriously discounted in a year or so.

This and the palace are too expensive for sets I don't really even want. The figs however, are something I think are just fantastic. The rancor itself has a whole bunch of parts. I've got to get those figs! :grin:

This and the palace are too expensive for sets I don't really even want. The figs however, are something I think are just fantastic. The rancor itself has a whole bunch of parts. I've got to get those figs! :grin:

True but just shop around for deals. TRU right now has the offer of $25 off any $100 purchase of regularly priced Lego sets. (technic and TMNT are excluded) Once in a while they have BOGO 50% SW lego sets. They also price match. Just not sure if they will price match AND give you the deal together.

I grabbed Jabba's Palace for $85 off craigslist. Unopened too.

Edited by Solscud007

Hahah, this brought me back to my younger days, playing Star Wars Demolition. I never got that far, but the final unlockable character was..... Malakili! Riding his prized beastie! Such a shame I never unlocked them, would've been hilarious to see on maps like Hoth and the Death Star.

As for the set, can you fit a full minifigure in the beast's mouth, and close it?

I would argue that there is something special about this set's skeleton-- it's perhaps the first example of a skeleton in a set being constructed with the Fantasy Era skeleton body and Ninjago skeleton arms. I wholeheartedly approve of this decision-- I'm a huge fan of this combination of parts, since it offers all the stability and classic appeal of the Fantasy Era skeleton torso, yet with the proportions of the Ninjago skeleton arms which end up more "minifigure-like" than the awful battle droid arms used with this torso in Fantasy-Era Castle and more proportionate to boot! This isn't to say I dislike the old wobbly-armed skeletons, but if we're going to use a skeleton with a more stable arm connection then this is by far the one to use.

Great photos and review. Love the lighting you used and the scenes you created. They really demonstrate what a great set this is in terms of atmosphere.

These pieces are part of Malakili's staff. I dont think these pieces have existed before? Correct me if I am wrong.

p1080127.jpg

They are new indeed! I noticed them in the prelim pics months back, but it's great to see them up close! Is it possible to put a brick or a cylinder over the inverted peg end so you could end up with a stud on the end? These look like they're going to open up some new building styles. I'm imagining robot elbows and such.

Anyone know if the come in any other 2013 sets?

Edited by Raven

Yes! Legend of Chima's 70004 Wakz Pack Tracker has at least a couple (attached to the chain 'tail' of the vehicle, with the white 'viking horn' spikes on 'em), and 70006 also has 'em on the croc-boat's 'feet' below the dinghys on its sides (with big black claws attached).

They're probably in several other sets (and possibly themes), too, but those are the only ones I could find in a couple minutes.

As for the set, can you fit a full minifigure in the beast's mouth, and close it?

Yep. The Gamorrean guard is a little wide but with a little adjusting you can squeeze him in there. Luke gets swallowed whole. And the mouth can close.

They are new indeed! I noticed them in the prelim pics months back, but it's great to see them up close! Is it possible to put a brick or a cylinder over the inverted peg end so you could end up with a stud on the end? These look like they're going to open up some new building styles. I'm imagining robot elbows and such.

I tried putting a stud on it and sadly it is too wide.

Yes! Legend of Chima's 70004 Wakz Pack Tracker has at least a couple (attached to the chain 'tail' of the vehicle, with the white 'viking horn' spikes on 'em), and 70006 also has 'em on the croc-boat's 'feet' below the dinghys on its sides (with big black claws attached).

They're probably in several other sets (and possibly themes), too, but those are the only ones I could find in a couple minutes.

Wow, good eye. I figured Chima would have some of them. Good thing I wanted to get those wolves!

I tried putting a stud on it and sadly it is too wide.

Thanks for trying! Missed opportunity in my books, but still a cool piece.

Edited by Raven

I love the new face for Luke. I'll be happy to see this one replace the single sided smiley he's been using the last few years now.

It's a great looking set for sure, but I don't like the price. I mean the figures are impressive but the build of the pit itself doesn't exactly sweep me off my feet. I guess I'll wait and see on this one.

I found this at a local Target store in southern MD today. Set looks great in the review.However up close it does seem a little small for the price point. I do assume that it could have something to do with the new tooling for the Rancor figure. A figure that will likely see a very limited amout of 2nd set uses. Uness there were Rancor featured in an episode of close wars. Also maybe if for some reason they did another Force Unleashed set. Either way I do see myself picking this up by friday :)

Nice review! LEGO Sweden want 799 kr aprox $114 for this bad boy, so to sum it up "no way in a sarlacc-pit I'm gonna get my hands on this one" :cry_sad:

So what's the deal with the hinged wall sections on both sets? Do they line up so you can open the back wall of Jabba's Palace with the moving gate of the rancor pit?

Can you use the hinged gate as a support for the lookout tower of the palace?

Excellent review! I am still uncertain about getting this set, but that Rancor looks too good to pass up! Besides that, all I really want is the Gamorean. The Pit to me is just bare. Though it is a pit. A good build however. Just looks empty to me.

Bought it. Didn't build (because it's terrible). But the Rancor "macro"fig was totally worth it. Getting another guard d00d is cool too.

It's a MUST HAVE simply because of the Rancor. But again, don't bother building it unless you like bland pits. Maybe buy the Rancor separately but that'll be at least $20, possibly more (half the price of the set when it's on sale, which it often is).