danthaman11

MOC: 7 wide Pick Up Truck

This is a 7 wide pick up truck I made this fall. First type is a civilian type and this is the dark red version. Also made it in black, dark bluish gray and dark blue. Second one is one of the service versions and it is a orange highway service truck inspired by 6521 Highway Repair Truck. Last picture is whats left of my original 6521 truck. Thanks for looking.

DarkRedPickUp1AS-1.jpg

DarkRedPickUp2AS.jpg

DarkRedPickUp3AS.jpg

DarkRedPickUp5AS.jpg

DarkRedPickUp6AS.jpg

OrangeHighway1AS.jpg

OrangeHighway3AS.jpg

OrangeHighway5AS.jpg

OrangeHighway7AS.jpg

OrangeHighway9BS.jpg

Very nice Truck. It looks great in the dark red. Just like my F150.

I might use this to inspire mine when i get around to building it.

The highway patrol looks very good as well.

The black 1x1 plate with round clip bugs me though. It needs to be higher(if supposed to be a mirror) or replace in my opinion

Play Well,

Really nice 6-wide Pick Up :thumbup: :thumbup:

It seems to me a VolksWagen :grin:

Nicely proportioned with clean lines. Seven wide definitely gives that bonnet/hood area a great definition!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you all for the kind comments!

Excellent truck design Dantm11! It dwarfs that old highway truck. Do you have a make and model names for your cars and trucks? :classic:

Thanks LEGO Guy Bri. When I got the old highway truck out of the attic it was suprising how small it was even compared to the new 4 stud vehicles. No make and model names for any of my cars might have to think of some.

Very nice Truck. It looks great in the dark red. Just like my F150.

I might use this to inspire mine when i get around to building it.

The highway patrol looks very good as well.

The black 1x1 plate with round clip bugs me though. It needs to be higher(if supposed to be a mirror) or replace in my opinion

Play Well,

Thanks soundwave_sw. Look forward to seeing your truck in the future. The 1x1 plate with round clip is supposed to be a side view mirror. Had to put jumper plates on the plate level above it to fit the six wide windscreen on the seven wide body so the side view mirror has to be there. Wanted to make those body colored matched but they are not readily available in orange or dark red, maybe Lego will someday bring them back into production.

Nice!

Is your model inspired by a particular real Pickup?

Thanks biG-fM_. The highway version was inspired by my states highway public works pick up trucks. They are orange and have the same color scheme as I used, it also worked well as Lego does some of their construction type vehicles in orange. The civilian version wasn't based on any specific real world car, I looked at a lot of pics of various pick ups on the internet to get the idea of the right shape.

Nice pick-ups,would it be easy enough to make a opening tail gate on both? :sweet:

Thanks Alasdair Ryan. Would proably require a major redesign of the back end to get the tail gates to open. I thought about doing that but proably would have had to trade off the tow hook and the back end would have had a less cleaner look to it.

Let me just repeat what I already said on MOCpages: This is another of your very well designed and tasteful creations, I like them a lot, as usual. Both versions look great. I think my favourite aspect is the lower part of the front bumper - this is quite an elegant solution and refines the silhouette a lot. Concerning the mirrors I was just thinking if two "Hinge Plates 1 x 2 Locking with 1 Finger On End" between the windscreen and the jumpers might work here ...

I was actually missing the amazing Road Rail Truck, but in fact it's not missing (see the tagged thread below :wink: ).

Looking forward to your next MOCs, keep up the great work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Let me just repeat what I already said on MOCpages: This is another of your very well designed and tasteful creations, I like them a lot, as usual. Both versions look great. I think my favourite aspect is the lower part of the front bumper - this is quite an elegant solution and refines the silhouette a lot. Concerning the mirrors I was just thinking if two "Hinge Plates 1 x 2 Locking with 1 Finger On End" between the windscreen and the jumpers might work here ...

I was actually missing the amazing Road Rail Truck, but in fact it's not missing (see the tagged thread below :wink: ).

Looking forward to your next MOCs, keep up the great work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks ER0L for the kind comments and the part suggestion for the side view mirrors. Glad you like the lower bumper area. I thought having the 1 x 2 x 1 1/3 curved top bricks in that area helps fill out the front bumper more espically on the civilian version which is lifted a little more and has more space there.

I have seen Lego start to use the Hinge Plates 1 x 2 Locking with 1 Finger On End on more of their offical 4 wide cars for side view mirrors. I will have to look into that more and see how well that part works with the larger 7 wides. Another part option for side view mirrors would be very nice. Did not even notice the tag to the road rail version until now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Great design. Just like Wedge09 said, it looks like VolksWagen.

Whole vehicle reminds me of VW amarok...

Hi Solta and Marry Christmas! :laugh:

You are a real MOC expert with your beutiful vehicles! :wub:

The red pic-up is the best I ever seen ...Lego company should buy your projects! :excited:

Hi there.

Sorry, but this MOC is from danthaman11. I just found comparison.

@danthaman11

No hard feelings.

Edited by solta

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I love this truck, and I want to build my own, but can't figure out how it's built. Are there any instructions/cross sections out there?