Indexed by Moderator

This is the road rail version of the 7 wide pick up truck I designed this fall. The main inspiration for this version was 4546 Road Rail Maintenance. I originally planned it to be yellow with dark bluish gray trim to match the official Lego train vehicles but decided to go with a blue color scheme to do something a little different. Thanks for looking.

BlueRoadRail1As.jpg

BlueRoadRail7As.jpg

BlueRoadRail3As.jpg

BlueRoadRail4As.jpg

BlueRoadRail5As.jpg

BlueRoadRail10As_zps00ab269f.jpg

A great step up from the little yellow truck. The blue looks different, but it's a good kind of different.

I really like the warning stripes :)

I like this a lot, particularly the seven wide front grille.

Thanks for sharing it with us

Nice job indeed! you could improve it by adding a coupler so you could pull small cars.

That blue colour surprises me... looks actually great! Seams to me there are not much vehicles in Blue.....or am i wrong...the truck from the 7898 cargotrain is blue..and the car from 4954 Townhouse.. There is a small blue car on the 7939 Cargotrain and in the 5771 Creatorhouse and ofcourse the 7848 TRU-truck.... but overall, there isn't much blue... Oh Yeah and the blue little pick-up in the 7642 Garage set.... haha..

Anyway, ilove your design and colour-scheme!

LegoSjaak

Really nice design and color scheme :thumbup: :thumbup:

Are you sure that it is able to bend on train track???

Thank you all for the kind comments!

A truck with options! Great alternate model! How about one with a camper topper? :classic:

Thanks LEGO Guy Bri. After I designed the regular version I realized I could make a couple of variations. Good idea with the camper topper never thought of doing one with that accessory but something to think about for the future.

Nice job indeed! you could improve it by adding a coupler so you could pull small cars.

Thanks JopieK. Good suggestion with the coupler I don't know if I could fit it in under the bumper but something to look into.

That blue colour surprises me... looks actually great! Seams to me there are not much vehicles in Blue.....or am i wrong...the truck from the 7898 cargotrain is blue..and the car from 4954 Townhouse.. There is a small blue car on the 7939 Cargotrain and in the 5771 Creatorhouse and ofcourse the 7848 TRU-truck.... but overall, there isn't much blue... Oh Yeah and the blue little pick-up in the 7642 Garage set.... haha..

Anyway, ilove your design and colour-scheme!

Thanks LegoSjaak. Glad you like the blue color. There are some vehicles in blue but overall compared to red or yellow there seems to be a lot less especially in the city line. The blue vehicles I think of in the last few years are the 7990 Cement Mixer, 7848 TRU Truck, and the small 4 stud blue car in this years 4207 City Garage. I think Lego is doing a little better with color variety but I would like to see more.

Really nice design and color scheme :thumbup: :thumbup:

Are you sure that it is able to bend on train track???

Thanks Wedge09. It can go around the curved rail tracks.

Edited by danthaman11

That is indeed a very nice pickup truck, and the addition of the train wheels makes it much more versatile than just a regular pickup. With that grille it reminds me somewhat of a VW Amarok. Well done!

That is indeed a very nice pickup truck, and the addition of the train wheels makes it much more versatile than just a regular pickup. With that grille it reminds me somewhat of a VW Amarok. Well done!

Thanks L@go. I had a lot of comments on mocpages also saying that it looked like a VW Amarok. That truck is not available in the U.S. so I did not even know it existed up until now but in seeing web pics I do see the similarities in the grill.

Edited by danthaman11

Great work there Danthaman11, I really like this vehicle as it looks very much like a US style Hi-Rail Pickup Truck, the colour scheme works really well with this MOC and you have a good level of detail in it.

AWESOME vehicle 'danthaman11'.....excellent designing so similar to your city ones. :grin:

Brick On and Merry Christmas 'danthaman11' ! :sweet:

Great work there Danthaman11, I really like this vehicle as it looks very much like a US style Hi-Rail Pickup Truck, the colour scheme works really well with this MOC and you have a good level of detail in it.

Thanks Steinkopf. A U.S. Hi-Rail pick up was my main inspiration for this version of the truck so I'm glad you can see the resemblance. Glad you like the color scheme, I live near a rail line and see a real life one occasionally but they are usually all white which is sort of boring so I tried to do something a little different.

AWESOME vehicle 'danthaman11'.....excellent designing so similar to your city ones. :grin:

Brick On and Merry Christmas 'danthaman11' ! :sweet:

Thanks lightningtier. Mery Christmas to you too!

Edited by danthaman11

Very nice truck, the blue looks good for a change and seven wide is great, I guess you can squeeze two mini-figs next to each other if the arms are right? It would be a great truck even without train wheels but that gives it a variety of uses.

Can I ask how common these type of vehicles are? I see a lot of people with them in the layouts or collection including me with the one from the level crossing. But apart from one yellow lorry that had some sort of cable laying getup and a cab for work men I have not seen any actual vehicles in the UK. So I guess what would one use such a vehicle for, I am guessing you cannot simply drive up get on the tracks and drive off?

Can I ask how common these type of vehicles are? I see a lot of people with them in the layouts or collection including me with the one from the level crossing. But apart from one yellow lorry that had some sort of cable laying getup and a cab for work men I have not seen any actual vehicles in the UK. So I guess what would one use such a vehicle for, I am guessing you cannot simply drive up get on the tracks and drive off?

In the U.S., a pickup like that would be used by a track inspector or MOW foreman. The track inspector would "set on" the rails at a grade crossing, than drive down the tracks and ispect them. Once he reaches the end of where he wanted to inspect, he would "set off" at a grade crossing. An MOW foreman may not drive on track, they also have larger trucks with hi-rail wheels allowing them to drive on the rails also. It helps to peform work in areas that don't have access roads.

I have built quite a few based on acutal vehicles used by the WSOR. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5670365

Sal

WFB, WI

Very nice truck, the blue looks good for a change and seven wide is great, I guess you can squeeze two mini-figs next to each other if the arms are right?

Thanks Hrw-Amen. 2 minifigs can fit side by side with no adjustments to the arms. There is enough space with the seven wide so the arms don't have to be put in a special positon to fit.

In the U.S., a pickup like that would be used by a track inspector or MOW foreman. The track inspector would "set on" the rails at a grade crossing, than drive down the tracks and ispect them. Once he reaches the end of where he wanted to inspect, he would "set off" at a grade crossing. An MOW foreman may not drive on track, they also have larger trucks with hi-rail wheels allowing them to drive on the rails also. It helps to peform work in areas that don't have access roads.

Great explanation. I've seen a pick up truck on the rails behind my house checking the lines just as you describe. Very nice fleet of rail trucks you have there on brickshelf.

Edited by danthaman11