ER0L

MOC: ER0L's Garage

8277721756_0dea5451ed_z.jpg

Hi all,

some of you might have seen this already on Flickr or on Brick Town Talk but I thought it might be of some interest so I decided to upload it here, too. This is the first step of a bigger project which is meant to feature the cars. This part (I've called it "ER0L's Garage 1.0") consists of a 50s style Diner with a sign and a small gas station (rather part of it). And there is a new Rod, too, which is called Baby Blue. The project will be continued, but since this part took such a long time (being my first non-automotive stuff) I rather won't tell any details. I'll add it here when there is a "2.0 version" or something :wink:

There are some traces of different stuff ("Cars", "Friends Park Café") in it which I tried to melt into something new. It's not meant as a design study, but as a functional thing - something being used by minifigs. That means that if there is a barstool they must be able to sit on it - even if more beautiful barstools can be imagined. The diner has a detachable roof and a detachable back. The main point here might be the slanted columns to get a 50s appeal. Surprisingly this can be done without stressing the structure in any way.

Some details:

• Wurlitzer (refers to several known designs, but the upside-down front is probably a new aspect)
  • “Cars” Bar with snotted napkin dispenser (own design)
  • some "Cars" furniture which I designed some months ago
  • V8 Diner sign (own design, the V8 idea is taken from 8487 Flo’s V8 Café, but modified)
  • another sign above the entrance door
  • gas pump (bracket-based, rather looks like something already known, but I couldn’t find an exact reference)
  • The fridge is taken from 10197 Fire Brigade (slightly modified, I couldn't think of a better design), the bubble-gum machine from 3061 Friends Park Café, just like some of the little things a diner needs.

Some more pics:

8277931486_dfee47c654_z.jpg

8277821760_f2766fa4f2_z.jpg

8251119561_916d7905da_z.jpg

The Rod named Baby Blue is based on the Vintage Truck (see http://www.eurobrick...25#entry1416045), but turned out to something quite different. The main point here is the sun shield which is fixed with some upside down technique inwards. Using the red crowbar as an exhaust might be a new aspect, at least I haven't seen it before.

8284654366_63b683847e_z.jpg

That's about it so far, thanks for looking, C&C welcome as usual. Pics are linked to Flickr, some more pics of the rod you can find here.

Very nice! Some of my favorite details are the roof and base (did you use the same SNOT technique on both?) Lots of really nice details in the diner fixtures and the checkerboard floor tile brought back memories. The hot rod is also nice, the carboration is very clever, just like what hot rodders were doing back in the '50's, looks like many a hot rod I saw back then (still see some "old guy's driving them now).

Many, many. Little details that make the MOC look complete.

I am loking forward to 2.0!

Andy D

As mentioned the details are over the top, and I just love your gas pump. I´ve just now noticed the slanted siding of the counter. Masterly done!

Makes my own station look rather basic... Curse you!!! :laugh:

Fantastic details. Gas pump is simple and great. I love all things and solutions on it. Diner is absolutely incredible. But Baby Blue is my favorite in this thread. Breathtaking design really inspired me to try something like this.

Beautiful MOC......such a delight to see so much detailing in it too ! :wub:

Very 1950's.....that collectable mechanic minifig does look like the Fonz doesn't he ? :grin:

I :wub: the jukebox.....AWESOME work 'ER0L' and Brick On ! :grin:

Great job EROL! Excellent detailing on the interior and exterior of the building. Really like the brick built diner sign and all the interior acessories. Look forward to seeing the 2.0 version.

Very nice job!!! All those gorgeous details!

Thanks a lot JopieK, glad you like it!

Very nice! Some of my favorite details are the roof and base (did you use the same SNOT technique on both?) Lots of really nice details in the diner fixtures and the checkerboard floor tile brought back memories. The hot rod is also nice, the carboration is very clever, just like what hot rodders were doing back in the '50's, looks like many a hot rod I saw back then (still see some "old guy's driving them now).

Many, many. Little details that make the MOC look complete.

I am loking forward to 2.0!

Andy D

Thanks a lot Andy! Glad you like all the details and the rod. Roof and base: not quite the same since the roof consists of two halves, put together with two technic liftarms. The floor has a lot of "bricks 1x1 with stud on one side" to fix the walls, of course.

Very cool,very realistic. :sweet:

It's a shame that you did not add a toilet block,as it's a must in any real one. :blush:

Many thanks Alasdair! Well, one step at a time ;-) My first tries on this (there were many) were not successful because I planned too big. So I concentrated on a few aspects which I thought were most important. My personal opinion on this special subject is that toilet blocks are not that interesting unless they are the setting of a shooting or something ;-) Anyway I should take a closer look to them, thanks for the hint!

Really nice work, very well detailed :thumbup: :thumbup:

Many thanks Wedge09!

As mentioned the details are over the top, and I just love your gas pump. I´ve just now noticed the slanted siding of the counter. Masterly done!

Makes my own station look rather basic... Curse you!!! :laugh:

Thanks a lot Henrik, once again. I'm very glad you like it since you are the undisputed master of this period. BASIC??? You can't be talking about your Googie style station with that marvelous roof, definitely one of my favourite creations from you. This is the stuff we all learn from, at least I do ...

Fantastic details. Gas pump is simple and great. I love all things and solutions on it. Diner is absolutely incredible. But Baby Blue is my favorite in this thread. Breathtaking design really inspired me to try something like this.

Many thanks Solta! Glad you like the diner and the details - and the rod, of course. Always nice to be an inspiration, looking forward to your rod! :thumbup:

Beautiful MOC......such a delight to see so much detailing in it too ! :wub:

Very 1950's.....that collectable mechanic minifig does look like the Fonz doesn't he ? :grin:

I :wub: the jukebox.....AWESOME work 'ER0L' and Brick On ! :grin:

Thanks a lot LT! Well, a building is a lot bigger than a car, I quite underestimated this. :wink: A lot of room to fill, something that has never happened with the cars. So there must be some detailing ... Oh yes, it's quite a square-built Fonz, but there's definitely the hairstyle!

Great job EROL! Excellent detailing on the interior and exterior of the building. Really like the brick built diner sign and all the interior acessories. Look forward to seeing the 2.0 version.

Many thanks Dan! Glad you like the details and the sign (first try at lettering, but it worked better than I had thought). 2.0 will take some time, but hopefully I'll be a little quicker than with the first step ...

Awesome diner ER0L! Fantastic styling and great furniture designs, incorporating Disney's Cars and car parts as seats! I also really like the highway sign for it. Great job! :classic:

"Eat here, get gas!" No way has this fallen short of my expectations following your posting of WIP elements online (as you had warned). You've very nicely echoed the curves between the corners of the rooves and the slabs below. Odd however that you've attached the overhang of the gas station with hinge bricks. It might actually look nicely Googie to keep them on an upward angle.

Nice job on that small napkin dispenser - it's using the old style clip light with the thinner ring, right? Gotta get me some of those. I also noticed that like me you're attentive to the details on the underside of the roof. The lamps are nice, if a little low, and I think I spot a hidden ceiling fan too! The sign of course still looks great and yet all the better when set behind the rest in that big planter box. The palm tree looks a little lopsided though. Will version 2.0 be a revision taking into account small details like these or an expansion with a garage or a more authenically automotive area?

Awesome diner ER0L! Fantastic styling and great furniture designs, incorporating Disney's Cars and car parts as seats! I also really like the highway sign for it. Great job! :classic:

Thanks a lot LEGO Guy Bri! Glad you like the furniture, too. They were designed some months ago, now they are put to a suitable use.

"Eat here, get gas!" No way has this fallen short of my expectations following your posting of WIP elements online (as you had warned). You've very nicely echoed the curves between the corners of the rooves and the slabs below. Odd however that you've attached the overhang of the gas station with hinge bricks. It might actually look nicely Googie to keep them on an upward angle.

Nice job on that small napkin dispenser - it's using the old style clip light with the thinner ring, right? Gotta get me some of those. I also noticed that like me you're attentive to the details on the underside of the roof. The lamps are nice, if a little low, and I think I spot a hidden ceiling fan too! The sign of course still looks great and yet all the better when set behind the rest in that big planter box. The palm tree looks a little lopsided though. Will version 2.0 be a revision taking into account small details like these or an expansion with a garage or a more authenically automotive area?

Thanks a lot for your thorough comment Nathan. It's very helpful again. Glad you like the whole thing as such! Concerning your points of criticism I agree with you in nearly every aspect. Hinge bricks: The whole roof is not exactly what I wanted but probably it will be changed anyway. Napkin dispenser: You're right, the old style clip light - found it in an old Classic Space set I came upon, didn't know it before. Lamps: I agree, but this can't be changed because of the necessary ceiling beams. There is indeed a ceiling fan. Palm tree: somehow turned when photographed but it's okay for me, perhaps the palm trees in such places aren't always as cared for ... :wink: Of course version 2.0 will take into account the mentioned aspects - cars and the people in and around them are the main thing here. Many thanks again!

Very cool. Instantly reminiscent of the 50s. Chrome, black and white, and bright red. You really can't go wrong. :laugh: I love the jukebox and all the little details. (The 'Famous 2x2 Burger' sign is a nice touch.)

That is beautiful. very reminiscent of the 50s. I especially love the interior bar and furniture and jukebox! :wub:

If you wouldn't mind, I may have to borrow that pump idea for a station MOC I am working on.

Very cool. Instantly reminiscent of the 50s. Chrome, black and white, and bright red. You really can't go wrong. :laugh: I love the jukebox and all the little details. (The 'Famous 2x2 Burger' sign is a nice touch.)

Thank you very much CallMePie. Well, you are right concerning the colors. Glad you love the details, too!

That is beautiful. very reminiscent of the 50s. I especially love the interior bar and furniture and jukebox! :wub:

If you wouldn't mind, I may have to borrow that pump idea for a station MOC I am working on.

Many thanks TheLegoDr! Glad you like it. Gas pump: You're welcome, looking forward to your station MOC!

WOW top work!

I love the red jukebox! :wub:

Thanks a lot LEGO Train 12 Volts! Glad you like it, especially the jukebox!

Many thanks all for commenting and viewing - and Merry Christmas to all of you!

This is simply stunning! Your attention to detail (like the lead for the large diner sign and the lights and the fan (?) having from the ceiling) is amazing. I love how you have done the front counter and the jukebox. :wub:

Can't wait to see version 2.0!

I haven't been keeping up with EB for a few days, so I've missed out on this, although I've left a quick comment on Flickr - but seeing as you and I build similar stuff I feel I should repeat my praise here: It's gorgeous. The shape of it is wonderful, with its rounded corners, the colours are great and the detailing is very, very impressive. The exterior is very nice, but the interior is obviously the real star feature - the furniture is fantastic. The counter, the jukebox, the coffee machine... and the curved sign on the roof is also pretty neat. Not to mention your hot rod pickup truck, which looks absolutely cracking. Well done. Very well done!

This is really nice.

Thanks a lot Captain Flint!

This is simply stunning! Your attention to detail (like the lead for the large diner sign and the lights and the fan (?) having from the ceiling) is amazing. I love how you have done the front counter and the jukebox. :wub:

Can't wait to see version 2.0!

Thanks a lot Kristel, glad you like it, especially the details! Yes, there is a fan, too. 2.0 will take some time though I hope to be a little quicker than with 1.0 ... :wink:

I haven't been keeping up with EB for a few days, so I've missed out on this, although I've left a quick comment on Flickr - but seeing as you and I build similar stuff I feel I should repeat my praise here: It's gorgeous. The shape of it is wonderful, with its rounded corners, the colours are great and the detailing is very, very impressive. The exterior is very nice, but the interior is obviously the real star feature - the furniture is fantastic. The counter, the jukebox, the coffee machine... and the curved sign on the roof is also pretty neat. Not to mention your hot rod pickup truck, which looks absolutely cracking. Well done. Very well done!

Many thanks L@go for your very nice and thorough comment, I'm very happy about it! :classic: Glad you like the detailing, too! At first I found it quite difficult, but then I had more and more fun with it. Sometimes seems a question of rather doing it than thinking too much about it. The possible combinations (e.g. regarding the colours) are abundant ... Once again, thanks a lot!

Wow, this is, without a doubt, fantastic! This is one of the best MOCs I have seen for some time. Stunning.

Many thanks mrlegoman, glad you like it that much!

Any chance of a decent close up of the front of the jukebox?

Sure.

1356264608m_DISPLAY.jpg

Beautiful MOC, especially the wurlitzer is brilliant! :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to further instalments.

Thanks a lot Commander Red Hat, glad you like it!