Sign in to follow this  
cold cofee

Let them taste the triple guns - How?

In POtC Dead Man's Chest the Flying Dutchman sports a neat set of triple guns. Though they are a bit unrealistic, I fell completely in love with them on first sight <3 I wanted them shiny, pretty guns for my MOC!

"It can't be that hard", I told myself, and proceeded to spend a whole weekend panting, swearing and throwing my cannons across the living room.

Any of you guys have an idea how to build a "triple cannon", using the original lego cannon pieces?

I suppose the best place to start would to be posting a picture of the triple guns so we can visualise exactly what we want to recreate. In other words it will act as a guide rather than relying on our memories, or quite possibly not everyone has seen Dead Man's Chest and won't know what Mr Coffee is referring to.

I've done a Google search however it appears there aren't any. I could do screen capture from my Dead Man's Chest DVD but its getting rather late here and I'm in the middle of something.

In POtC Dead Man's Chest the Flying Dutchman sports a neat set of triple guns. Though they are a bit unrealistic, I fell completely in love with them on first sight <3 I wanted them shiny, pretty guns for my MOC!

"It can't be that hard", I told myself, and proceeded to spend a whole weekend panting, swearing and throwing my cannons across the living room.

Any of you guys have an idea how to build a "triple cannon", using the original lego cannon pieces?

I figured-out something

pic_0318.jpg

the brickshelf gallery is here http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=228800

more pictures of the Flying Dutchman

kurt

That's quite a contraption!

Looks good from the front

pic_0313.jpg_thumb.jpg

But a bit too "technological" from the front, well "technological" in comparison to the triple cannons seen in Dead Man's Chest.

Here is my attempt at the triple guns. It's not complete, but I'm done putzing with it.

I'm not actually going to place it on any of my ships, but I just wanted to see how it was possible with the parts I currently have available.

triplegunfront.jpg

triplegunside.jpg

Hey that looks quite good, better than I could do myself... They are close enough to each other and it hasn't got the technical look... Well done!

triplegunfront.jpg

Mr Phred, what have you used to hold the cannon together? Do bands like those come in any particular LEGO sets?

Mr Phred, what have you used to hold the cannon together? Do bands like those come in any particular LEGO sets?

the black lightsaber pieces and those 3x3 round pieces with 6 technic pin-holes hold the cannons on.

Not too stable, but it does rotate. The rubberbands add stability.

The rubber bands come from 3 bionicle sets like one of these:

tn_8563-1_jpg.jpg

So they're just standard rubber bands? Not the rubber bands that have been included in some LEGO sets?

Those green rubberbands are included in the bionicle sets shown in the previous post. They are lego rubberbands.

Ah yes. I remember getting some rubber bands in one of the Time Cruiser sets except they were pink.

How well do your triple guns rotate Mr Phred? Smoothly or is there friction?

Ah yes. I remember getting some rubber bands in one of the Time Cruiser sets except they were pink.

How well do your triple guns rotate Mr Phred? Smoothly or is there friction?

they rotate very smoothly. that was one focus i had when building them.

they just don't recoil individually. which i think would be impossible with the cannons that close to each other.

Are you going to modify them so they can recoil? Or you satisfied with them how are they are?

I'm really satified the way they are. I'm not going to use them for anything right now, so I'll probably be dismanteling them soon.

If i do think of a way to recoil them, I probably remake the triple guns and post some more pics.

Phred

That sounds awesome Phred - well as awesome as text can sound!

Anyone else out there with triple guns to share? What about this Cold Cofee fellow? Is he still lurking about?

I'm still here. Great work you guys!

Unfortunately I can't post images of my until-now-futile attempts, because all my lego is at my cabin, and at this time of the year it's just too cold too stay there for more than a few hours :'-(

I'm still here. Great work you guys!

Unfortunately I can't post images of my until-now-futile attempts, because all my lego is at my cabin, and at this time of the year it's just too cold too stay there for more than a few hours :'-(

What's a cabin?

What's a cabin?

It's usualy on the end of a ship, the sleep- and dining room of the captain or officers...

But in this case, I think it is a small wooden hut...

It's usualy on the end of a ship, the sleep- and dining room of the captain or officers...

But in this case, I think it is a small wooden hut...

You're quite right, a small wooden hut indeed. Which in my case is filled to the brim with stuff from my late grandmother's appartment and lego bits.