Hello everyone! It's me again and I'm coming with a new project :)

Great Ball Contraption has been always fascinating to me. And few weeks ago I decided to start building my own layout.

In this topic I will be showing you the progress on my GBC.

Here is the first module - the elevator:

01.jpg

Watch the video to see how it works:

I'm now working on another module with NXT :)

Very nice GBC module! From your original LUGpol topic, you wrote (in this rough Polish-to-English translation):

"GBC it was on my mind for a long time, but as I watched all the movies are coming to the conclusion that the module is already invented so much, it's hard to create something new, a copy of the existing somehow I am not amused. In September, there was this MOVIE . This most ingenious loop I've ever seen, and best of all, most of the units I saw for the first time. Watching wondered how you can come up with such great ideas, almost all modules of the film are controlled mechanically, without the use of NXT. This meant that I started to think a lot of what I could build an interesting module to start with.

The idea for a sort of elevator that automatically would change the direction of rotation to go up again, down again. Quickly built a prototype and checked the operation of the mechanism. Next already gone quickly, because at this site there was no need to worry about special appearance. After about a week she was ready machine :)

How does it work?

The principle is very simple. Between the power source and the motor switch is 9v. It is connected to the two levers - the top and bottom. Erase the additional switch causes the light moving lever moves it to the other side very quickly, so do not feel the moment when the switch is in the zero position. For this platform in the down position by pressing the lever opens another "goal" and allows piƂeczkom fight inside.

In this photo you can see a well-mechanisms:"

elevator-4.jpg

"The whole thing is powered by a transparent cube hidden in the red the block....Of course, this is not the end, the plans have several other modules. I think the Pyrkonu I can make a small loop."

The switch trick is clever!

And I've found out WHY it doesn't stop when the switch is in the center position (because there is a short moment, when the motor is theoretically off).

The interesting thing is that the switch works different than the button on the battery box. When you switch the power off using battery box, the motor stops immediatelly. But when you turn it off with a switch (center position), the motor does a few more rotations. And it's enough to turn the switch :)

Interesting... that means that the battery box switch shorts the motor, with a brake effect, while the switch leaves it floating free...

or the battery box is quite hard to switch off without pressing the button for the other direction, juts for a millisecond, this may be enough to produce the breaking effect? Really nice lift, how is the lift attached to the chain links? love the smoothness of the whole system looks great in red and black as well

or the battery box is quite hard to switch off without pressing the button for the other direction, juts for a millisecond, this may be enough to produce the breaking effect?

No, it works even without "locking" the button, with normall pressing.

I've also noticed a similar effect when using old 9v motors with PF system. when you connect the old motor to the PF receiver, you can see the floating effect, while PF motors work normally.

Hello guys! Today I want to show you my new GBC module!

Here is the video that shows how the module works:

And some photos:

01.jpg_thumb.jpg 02.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-00729.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-00734.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-00770.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-00776.jpg_thumb.jpg

If you have any questions - ASK!

I always like GBCs... But i dont see the point on this one... It is so beautiful... It works so well... But it is NOT a GBC! It does not elevates the balls!!!

I don't agree with you. I think there is no definiton of the gbc. It's about just MOVING the balls. If it was like you say, some of Akiyuky's modules (like ball factory or train) also couldn be called GBC?

I like them both. Mechanisms like this are a great way of learning about gears and levers. Much more fun than building cars or trucks.

The GBC modules don't elevate the balls, they take it at 10 bricks High and left it at 10 bricks high, so this is can be called a gbc module.

Edited by parda

If I was going to go with my modules to some international event, I would modify them. But when I'm building the modules for my own layout, I don't need to follow the rules - they would only limit my imagination :D

(I have built a simple conveyor belt, that elevates the balls 10 bricks high. So preparing this module to an international event would'n be a problem)

Edited by Makorol

It's finished. For now, I don't have enough bricks to make new modules (CAT and Scammell still stand on my shelf :) ), so I decided to show you my small GBC loop.

See the video:

And some photos:

gbc.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-1-2.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-2.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-3.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-4.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-5.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-6.jpg_thumb.jpg gbc-8.jpg_thumb.jpg

If you have any questions - feel free to ask :)

I really like that trick you use to pause the sliding container at each end. Als you have got some great video production skills!

The set-up is great and the video makes it look a million dollars, very well done