Moexy

REVIEW: 75013 Umbaran HMC (Mobile Heavy Canon)

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Minifigs: Ashako Tano, 212th Clone Trooper, 2 Umbaran Soldiers

Build: Umbaran HMC

Price: € 59.99

Subtheme: The Clone Wars

Pieces: Not Specified on the European box

Release: Winter 2013

Front of the box:

It's a rather medium sized box. It has the new green Yoda box layout like all the new winter sets have and as usual a minifigure window.

img_0202.jpg

Close up of the minifigure window.

Here we see a preview of the new minifigures. Ashoka Tano we have already seen before, but not in this outfit :thumbup: .

img_0203.jpg

View of the side of the box where the minifigures are shown.

Like all the boxes it shows how large the actual size of the minifigure is.

img_0204.jpgimg_0208.jpg

Back of the box.

On the right side it shows all the different actions you can do with the walker. On the upper left side we see a little battle and at the bottom we see a side, top and front view of the walker.

img_0209.jpg

Content of the box.

We have three plastic bags, stickersheet and a construction manual. The third bag doesn't contain many bricks for such a large one :tongue:.

img_0211.jpg

Sticker sheet.

In total nine stickers. The separatist colors and symbols are, like in most of the other sets, stickers, so nothing special here.

img_0212.jpg

The construction manual.

img_0216.jpg

Inside the manual the page that shows the different bags and their builds.

img_0219.jpg

Plastic bag number 1 with it's contents.

img_0213.jpgimg_0217.jpg

I'll do the minifigures first :wink: .

First we have the Republic forces: a 212th Trooper and Ashoka Tano

Front view.

Both have really nice and detailed torso and leg printing.

The Trooper is all new, Ashoka has a new torso and leg printing (what she wears in the clone wars series atm).

img_0220.jpg

Front view without the helmet and hairpiece.

The face of the Trooper looks a bit odd, his facial expressions lines are too yellow and his cheek lines are to big. I'm not a fan of his head :sceptic:.

Ashoka looks good, she has her smirky smile and an elevated smirky eyebrow (like her cartoon counterpart).

img_0225.jpg

Back view.

Both have a simple but decent back printing.

img_0224.jpg

Back side without helmet and hairpiece.

Ashoka has a double printed head, an angry expression like most of the double sided heads have.

The trooper, like most other clones, has just a single face.

img_0226.jpg

Next we have the Umbaran soldiers. :cry_happy::wub:

Front view.

They are identical (as expected). Both have a nice torso print, but they don't have leg printings.

The helmets look ok, nothing special actually, they don't resemble their cartoon counterpart though.

img_0227.jpg

Front view without their helmets.

Beautiful (the clone wars) purple head printing, although also indentical.

img_0229.jpg

Back view.

Both have back printing, simple but quiet nice.

The helmets on the backside look really good, more detailed then the front. A nice bonus :sweet: .

img_0228.jpg

Back view without their helmets.

They don't have double printed heads.

img_0230.jpg

Close up (both front and back) of the phase 2 clone helmet.

The new helmets look good! Detailed enough, but could be better because the old version was more detailed.

Although I remain a fan of the old helmets, I changed my opinion about these new ones.

Back side has no printing.

img_0233.jpgimg_0232.jpg

Now on to the walker itself! :laugh:

This is what you get after completing the first plastic bag.

img_0234.jpgimg_0235.jpg

img_0236.jpg

The second platic bag and his contents. Lots of bley and dark bley pieces! :sweet:

img_0214.jpgimg_0239.jpg

This is what you have after completing the second plastic bag. Now it already has it's distinctive and beautiful round shape.

img_0240.jpgimg_0241.jpg

The third plastic bag and his contents.

img_0215.jpgimg_0243.jpg

With this bag you build the big canon on top of the walker. Nice to see the big launchable missile piece back :thumbup:

img_0250.jpg

At last, here we have the set in it's full glory! :sweet:

img_0247.jpgimg_0248.jpg

img_0249.jpgimg_0252.jpg

A picture of the spare parts.

We have a spare lightsaber hilt (good to swap with one of the old ones), some nice colored cheese slopes and two blue round studs which are always welcome.

img_0245.jpg

As per request some aditional pictures of the hinges and other action possibilities :classic: .

This picture shows the handle (located under the walker) with which you can move the canon on top of the walker.

img_0256.jpg

Here you can see how the legs are attached to the body. These pieces allow to rotate the legs. The black piece with which you attach the leg to the walker does not move (a hard static piece).

img_0257.jpg

Close up from one of the legs. Here you can see the pieces that allow the position of the legs (only way to position the legs, except for the "feet").

img_0258.jpg

Picture showing the front hatch.

img_0260.jpg

Front view of the walker showing the cockpit.

img_0261.jpg

Back view of the walker showing the back hatch. Its is possible to put a minifigure here.

img_0259.jpg

Now I'll try to rate the set.

Playability: 9/10 - It is a fun set, you have troops from both sides and a walker so you can do a battle between them and the walker has the big canon piece which is great.

Design: 8/10 - The design is really well done, the walker looks almost exactly like his cartoon counterpart, nice round curve :thumbup::wub: . The only negative remark I can make is about the size of the walker. I thought it would be bigger, you can compare the size of it with the Separatist Proton Cannon we got in set 7869 Battle for Geonosis.

Price: 7/10 - I find it a bit much for what it is, for that price I thought I would get a slightly bigger tank :sceptic:.

Minifigures: 8/10 - The minifigures are lovely. There are some improvements that can be done, but they do look nice. The only negative thing I can think about is the face of the clone trooper (it could be a misprint).

Parts: 9/10 - I think we get some really nice parts, lots of dark blue, dark red and bley pieces.

Overall: 41/50 - This is a charming set, just don't expect to have a big walker :tongue:

I hoped you enjoyed the review! :classic:

Thanks for the review!

Those Umbarans... what can I say... :wub: :wub: those heads!

I also like Ashoka's cheeky face!

Not a great fan of mech-builds, but those minfigures look great!

Thanks for the review! This set looks really great! I'm just hoping it's not too expensive where I live. I wasn't expecting those Umbaran's heads to be that light shade of purple, but I have to say that it looks good!

Big!

Like I mention in your other review, I think you could do with some more pictures / explanations:

- How do the legs move? Well or stiff? How many points of articulation? How many poses can you put it in?

- How does the cannon on top move?

- What does the cockpit look like? It looks like it opens up.

- Does the back open too? What's in there?

Great review, but I think I'm not going to get this one. The new figs (other than Ashoka and Clones) really don't look very Star-Warsian. I don't remember the episode(s) they were in, but then, I wasn't able to catch most of the 3rd and 4th seasons.

In reference to the price: I too was balking at the price of Lego's recently when I realized that Legos have always been pricey. I got the Galaxy Explorer in 1979 and that set was $30 (US) then. Run that through an inflation converter and it comes out to almost $90 in current money. So its all relative. I've come to the conclusion that I would rather pay for Lego's quality than substandard plastic.

Not really a fan of the Clone Wars but this mech looks awesome. I might just have to pick this one up. Thanks for taking the time to do a review.

Thank you for the review!

I'm not a big fan of this set, but it looks like a fun build and the Umbaren soldier's torso prints look awesome :classic:

Thanks for another review 'Moexy', nice cannon and Ashoka looks AWESOME....she's turning out to be a SW babe eh ? :grin:

The downside of this set are the Umbaran helmets, Lego must be getting lazy....though I say the heads and torso look fantastic. :wink:

This was bought from the very first glimpse, even though I couldn't remember who the Umbarans were. I've since looked it up...good set of eps.

Thanks for the review; it's always nice to see what to expect from a set you want.

Great review! One question though- could you please tell us or take pictures of what's inside the cockpit, and if the back hatch opens up?

I actually really like this set now, it gives me nostalgia for when I first started collecting and got the AT-TE. The minifigures are excellent, albeit one 212 trooper will be a issue if one wanted a lot of them.

Ashokas torso would have made a very versatile torso for historical themes if they had not made it orange...

It could still work out fine, the orange is just an undershirt.

Nice review, Moexy! Great photos highlighting the figs and parts of the build. I really like this set and will most likely be getting multiples.

Thanks for the review. I love the look of this set and the new Ahsoka is a huge improvement over the old.

I like the purple heads on the Umbarans too. I wouldn't mind seeing future Palpatine minifigures use this colour instead of the grey which always seemed a bit dark to me.

The Umbaran Torso is great. I want some of those. I like the vehicle too. Reminds me slightly of the Mars mission 7649 MT-201 Ultra-Drill Walker set.

It could still work out fine, the orange is just an undershirt.

Good idea! It might look a bit odd with yellow hands and a yellow head thought. But its worth a try...

This is the first Star Wars set I've seen in a long time that I think I really want. Maybe because it's so not Star-Warsy to me [having never watched Clone Wars and being an OT snob] but the design of it as a walky spider-tank is really pretty rad. I wanna get this and put the Alien Trooper guy from CMF9 in it.

Congratulations on a good review, Moexy.

Only thing I can add is that the topic title and "Build" call this set a HMC, while the box speaks of a MHC. Just nitpicking, though.

Nice Review!

The first time I saw this, I was thinking more of the parts. But that, indeed, is a wicked walker. :sweet:

That's a great review. Thanks for posting it. :thumbup:

I'm not a CW fan, but I'm really tempted by how good that walker looks. I think if it came with a couple more of those 212th troopers I might be sold on it. And though I'm not into Ashoka, her printing is really well done.