Can anyone tell me what do the Asian characters on this part mean? It is a glass piece from Ninjago sets. I am using it on a creation to give to a Japanese teacher, so I would like to confirm what it means before presenting it. Thanks.

57895pb005.jpg?1

it's definetelly much better than if it would say "chicken in garlic sauce" :wink:

Since there seem to be some knowledgable people in this topic, could I have some help with translating other text? For instance, the red characters in the small seal on that window, as well as the text on the following parts:

87079pb018.jpg?1

This one (both the black characters and red characters in the seal)

2504stk01.jpg

This one (All the text from the stickers of set 2504)

57895pb009.jpg?157895pb008.jpg

The text from these two corresponding windows

2335pb094.jpg?1

The text on this flag

9449stk01.jpg?1

The text on all these stickers (sorry for the poor quality, I'm going by Bricklink's images)

I sometimes wish Ninjago followed in the tradition of Exo-Force by including translations on the sticker sheets. But I suppose even that would leave us non-Japanese speakers wondering in the case of printed parts like those screens.

The first one is 'Dragon God'.

The second one based on the sticker arrangement is 'reputation', 'justice', 'do not surrender to weakness (need to find a proper word for it) and 'arena' or 'dojo something like that'.

The rest is the same as mentioned above but I can't see the last one clearly. Will let you know if I can see it in awhile later.

I think it's cool that they use authentic Asian characters on these items. (I say Asian because some of the characters here are both used in Chinese and Japanese. I think it's because the Japanese imported some Chinese characters into their written language (kanji). The Japanese also have some unique characters (hirigana?).)

I think it's cool that they use authentic Asian characters on these items. (I say Asian because some of the characters here are both used in Chinese and Japanese. I think it's because the Japanese imported some Chinese characters into their written language (kanji). The Japanese also have some unique characters (hirigana?).)

Japan took their characters from China. There is a little difference in them, since mainland China simplified their characters in the 1960's or so, but, traditionally, they are the same.

@Lyichir, the first and third picture are the same characters, as is the fourth one of the stickers in number two. Hopefully that simplifies Whitefang's answer for you.

I've got a question: does anyone know the meanings of the characters on the "badges" the Ninja wear in their 2013 costumes?

Kai

Jay

Cole

Zane

While we're on the subject, how about the characters on Sensei Wu's black kimono from the 2011 sets?

Sensei Wu

And finally, even though they're partially obscured by the gong and mallet, how about the ones here on the right side of the Temple of Light, or the red signature/seal on each dragon-patterned window pane?

Edited by Aanchir

I'm sorry for bumping such a late topic, but

1: No one actually answered his question on the entire internet (i'd like to know too)

2: New Japanese characters have been seen on stickers and on characters, a lot are puzzling to me.

I think I can help out with the above question though.

Each ninja's emblem (also seen on every suit variation after 2013) is most likely the Japanese term for fire, nature, ice, etc. since in the tournament of elements, the tournament gi the ninja wear has 4 symbols on it (for 4 elements) and each ninja's symbol (element) is taken from one of them, proving that the symbols are elements.

I honestly think bumping this was the right thing.

I've got a question: does anyone know the meanings of the characters on the "badges" the Ninja wear in their 2013 costumes?

They don't mean anything in either Japanese or any of the Chinese languages.

They're actually the western letters D, I, W and Y from a font that is supposed to look eastern:

ninjago_pseudokanji.jpg

They're actually the western letters D, I, W and Y from a font that is supposed to look eastern:

ninjago_pseudokanji.jpg

NICE FIND! :sweet::thumbup:

Where'd you find/come across that? Well found!

Where'd you find/come across that? Well found!

I knew they weren't real because I can (or more accurately, used to) read some Japanese. So right off, I had good reason to believe they weren't an eastern language. That led me to do a Google Images search for Ninjago fonts.

I knew they weren't real because I can (or more accurately, used to) read some Japanese. So right off, I had good reason to believe they weren't an eastern language. That led me to do a Google Images search for Ninjago fonts.

Daaaaang! Neat work! Do you know what the font is called?

Thanks! It's a little odd that Lego didn't use actual Japanese; that would have made them look way cooler.

ninjago_pseudokanji.jpg

Very interesting. Though it makes me wonder why those letters were chosen to represent their respective ninja; presumably the first letters of their names would have made more sense...

Since this topic is active again, I might as well share some of the work I've done on translating lately:

The Temple of Airjitzu features a number of authentic Japanese translations. The signage on the smuggler's market reads "fish" and "food". The hanging scrolls around the temple (which I assume are meant to be warding charms of some sort) read "Balance/Equilibrium", "Justice/Righteousness", and "Honor".

The Ninja DB-X features Japanese characters on the flags on the back. One of those translates to "Honor", like the scroll in the Temple of Airjitzu and one of the stickers for the Spinjitzu Dojo from 2011. The other one seems to translate to "High Speed".

There are still a number of translations I've been unable to find. The most challenging is the stickered wall panel from the Temple of Light, which features a whopping 14 characters. But the window panes from the Temple of Light and the Dojo Showdown have also given me trouble, as have the tiny characters from Nya's car in the Nindroid MechDragon set.