Sign in to follow this  
mordatre

Review: 75000 Clone Troopers vs Droidekas

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Bought the two 2013 Battlepacks from a Swedish retailer last week. I´m saving the Old Republic one for christmas but this one got opened today. It´s lack of "real" figures makes this one seem less interesting but is it worth the cash at all?

Minifigs: 1 clone Sergeant, 1 Clone trooper, 2 brickbuilt droidekas

1 (small) Command base

Price: € 14.99, 149SEK

Pieces: 124

Year: 2013

Box size is the new smaller version. (Pirates of the Caribbean Captains Cabin had a testrun for this box)

8276397521_35168d280f.jpg

01 by mordatre, on Flickr

8277454712_bc9404a161.jpg

02 by mordatre, on Flickr

Bags and instruktionbooklet. No stickers. Front of booklet is the same as box.

8277454630_e97a0af7de.jpg

03 by mordatre, on Flickr

Yes, he´s still there.

8277454578_8a9d61b94e.jpg

04 by mordatre, on Flickr

Both clones. I like the new print and the non-clonewarsfaces.

8276397259_04dce33eba.jpg

05 by mordatre, on Flickr

Helmets close up. Really nice but why´s the Sergeants visor silver?

8277454446_92545aed9e.jpg

06 by mordatre, on Flickr

Compared to the 8014 Clone Wars Clone clooper (to the right).

I see no need to replace my CW Clones with this EP2 Clone. I´ll just make sure

that in mocs the EP2 Clones are in the front.

8276397153_46ca9b7a4b.jpg

07 by mordatre, on Flickr

Parts in big bag. Some useful snotbrackets.

8276397083_44938da276.jpg

07 by mordatre, on Flickr

Parts in small bag.

8277454282_cd3f11b67b.jpg

08 by mordatre, on Flickr

Spares.

8276396943_c93725ce0c.jpg

09 by mordatre, on Flickr

Whole set.

8277454090_aa519a6125.jpg

10 by mordatre, on Flickr

Demonstrating the flickfiremissile. Point blank in the back of his head. :wacko:

8276396881_00d38913ee.jpg

11 by mordatre, on Flickr

The droidekas doesn´t really rock, but with some folding they can roll. I think the droidekas are actually quite nice. Certainly very playable and the kids won´t complain. If you don´t like them they are made of some very useful parts anyway.

8276396737_064a256641.jpg

12 by mordatre, on Flickr

Conclusion:

Playablility is as good as any and kids will love this. Afols will look at this as an expensive EP2 Clone armybuilder with some great parts in it.

I will probably buy some more these on sale, but since I bought set 8014 when it was available I don´t really need more clones.

Thanks for the review 'mordatre', not bad set it will sell....it has that magic word Star Wars written on the box ! :wink:

I too don't mind the destroyer droids.....there will be some members who will say again that Lego can't get it right. :wink:

That flick fire weapon is used while no one is sitting at that terminal. :wink:

Brick On Review On 'mordatre' ! :classic:

Thanks for the review! I didn't expect much from this set and the review confirms my initial opinion. Apart from some useful pieces there is really only one minifig in this set that I'd like to have, the regular Clone Trooper. There's no way the minifig will be available in sufficient quantities at a reasonable price. The other new battle pack is a much, much better army builder, I think TLG dropped the ball on this one. :sceptic:

Thanks for the review! I didn't expect much from this set and the review confirms my initial opinion. Apart from some useful pieces there is really only one minifig in this set that I'd like to have, the regular Clone Trooper. There's no way the minifig will be available in sufficient quantities at a reasonable price. The other new battle pack is a much, much better army builder, I think TLG dropped the ball on this one. :sceptic:

I share your opinion precisley. The Old Republic BP will get plenty of love from me. This one however, will only get less than half. I might buy ten of these and that's only if they ever go on sale (and they will). Maybe a future BP will contain the plain guys in a better proportion some point in the future. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for the review.

I didn't realized how good is this set!

The new clone is very rich in details, and makes me think in buy few more (and I have lots of the first clone-2002)

The droid era is the best, by far, when we compare them with the first " Jedi duel"

The pieces of the hole set are exceptionally good!

Thank you againqq

Thank you for the review.

I am just eyeing for those clone troopers. :devil:

I came out of my dark ages few years ago and I missed the clone troopers battle pack. I am aiming to build an army of phase 1 clone troopers so I guess this might be my chance here,,, :grin:

I came out of my dark ages few years ago and I missed the clone troopers battle pack. I am aiming to build an army of phase 1 clone troopers so I guess this might be my chance here,,, :grin:

I'm in exactly the same boat. However, I just invested in buying some phase 1 clones off ebay, and so the armour doesnt quite match with this armour, so I'm in a pickle whether to continue with the ebay ones or start off with the ones from these new BP's. I'll probably just end up with a mixture and hope no one notices ;).

Why cant TLG leave anything alone!? :tongue:

With regards to the set, I'm relatively impressed, although I always feel BP's are a little over-priced, especially as in this one there are only two actual minifigures. I do like the droidikas though!

Thanks for the review. It is interesting see which pieces are available. The troopers look sufficiently detailed, but I still don't think I'll pick this up. I love minifigures, but I'm not building up any SW armies, so this wouldn't be for me. But it looks like it has some nice army builders and I do like the droidekas.

I'm not the biggest stickler for accuracy, so I think the droidekas look fine. Although I do wish that Geonosians were included instead. I was playing Star Wars: Battlefront on my xbox earlier today and noticed that the green jet troopers had the silver visors, so that gives a decent explanation.

Edited by DeltaRecon226

With regards to the set, I'm relatively impressed, although I always feel BP's are a little over-priced, especially as in this one there are only two actual minifigures. I do like the droidikas though!

I never buy any set at full RRP. I would wait till there's a clearance or massive sale or something like that so I could get multiples of those. :grin:

Eh, I think this is worth picking up for myself but it isn't a big wow factor like the swtor bp.

Clones are the obvious standout, nice to get them updated in movie format; not just clone wars.

Not really a great set at all and I love my clones! £12 (UK price) for 2 clones is just CR*P! Yeah the Destroyers are ok, but not good enough to make this a good set at RRP.

One for the sales and I expect it to be on sale quick, as the SW line is starting to fail in the UK. You only have to look at the crazy sale prices on the run up to Christmas to see that! 40% off a few weeks before Christmas for sets only released in the summer. Unheard of before this year!

I agree. Many stores appear to have huge sales on Lego Star Wars just now, and places like Tesco and Asda are doing deals like two BPs and planet sets for £15 with full shelves!

Thanks for the review. I'm really quite fond of the new clones. However, I doubt I will army build from this BP since I don't really care for the droidekas. I'll probably end up shopping on Bricklink.

Can't wait to pick this up, I think I need to go and watch the new season of animated series to I understand a bit more on this...

I'm in exactly the same boat. However, I just invested in buying some phase 1 clones off ebay, and so the armour doesnt quite match with this armour, so I'm in a pickle whether to continue with the ebay ones or start off with the ones from these new BP's. I'll probably just end up with a mixture and hope no one notices ;).

Which version of the Phase I clones did you buy, PT or TCW version? I have a good amount of both already and this new version will be the 3rd type of Phase I that I have. I've come to terms with the fact that LEGO will always be updating their product every few years.They may all look a little different but that doesn't bother me. Maybe with this newer version, the price on the other older ones will take a dip.

Can't wait to pick this up, I think I need to go and watch the new season of animated series to I understand a bit more on this...

Just to save you the hassle of watching and searching the cartoon, this Battle Pack is loosely based from AotC.

Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton

These are Ep2 clones so they´re not from the animated Clone Wars show.

The droidekas are just normal droidekas as seen in the Prequel trilogy.

Here´s the Clone Sergeant at Wookieedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_trooper_sergeant

Helmets close up. Really nice but why´s the Sergeants visor silver?

8277454446_92545aed9e.jpg

06 by mordatre, on Flickr

I think the reason is that though visors generally look black, they look silver when they are reflecting light, e.g. here. Personally, I like the effect, but I think it should have been incorporated for all clones, not only for officers.

Bought two of these and stole the jetpacks from my old TCW Jet Troopers for the Sergeants, Battlefront-style. I liked it a lot better than the TOR BP personally - nice to get some realistic new Clones and I've been begging for cheap Droidekas. They're not terribly accurate but I think they do a better job than the last few.