Name: Squirrel's Tree House

Theme: Friends

Year: 2013

Pieces: 41 + 10 extra pieces

Minifigs: 0

Animals: 1

Price: USD$4.99

SEK 39.00

My local toy store got some of the new sets for 2013 this week (The Hobbit, Ninjago, SW, some City and Friends) including the first batch of the new small animal bags from Friends. I definitely wanted the squirrel the most so I got it and here are some pictures and my thoughts about it:

I started with ripping open the bag and then realizing I should've taken a picture of it before that. Ah well, it's not the bag that's the interesting thing here, it's what's inside:

8274431041_46f5cd0f3a.jpg

Instructions and yet another bag!

The instructions got the same front picture as the bag. I'll spare you the picture of the Win!-girl at the back.

8275493676_48216a0371.jpg

No piece call out, that's what's to be expected by such a small set. The instruction are easy to follow and I didn't spot any mistakes.

8275493172_13670a979a.jpg

Parts list, click for higher resolution.

8274429957_acc8030faf.jpg

There is a small ad showing how you can combine the three animal bags to strange structure:

8274429619_9bf58195d5.jpg

To me it looks like the squirrel is sitting on a throne and waiting for the turtle to bring him the offerings of a plate with fish. Chieftain Squirrel will have to wait for a loooong time to get that fish. Meanwhile the cat has her own private room and can enjoy the luxurious meal of a bowl full of... bow-ties? *huh*

Well, let's not dwell to long on that mysterious picture, I'm sure there is a logical explanation...

Here are the pieces that comes in the set:

8274430455_b6cacc13c2.jpg

Nothing that pops out, everything is standard and mostly useful pieces.

It's this what the set is all about, the squirrel:

8275492388_6ef198c8fe_n.jpg8274429255_16285ca776_n.jpg8274429121_53f3b89ce0_n.jpg

8275491974_3affdcc8a0_n.jpg8274428831_0236ea5785_n.jpg

The bow-tie fits is a hole on top of the tail.

The build of the tree-house is quick and simple:

8275491646_3d6637fa80.jpg

8275495446_14c8fbc21e.jpg

8275495114_3b41c6dfec.jpg

Alternative views of the tree-house:

8274431991_e4c5129c19.jpg

8275494700_5bed8fe393.jpg

It's not the most interesting build, but it uses useful pieces and does the work. It could be a good small present to a kid I think.

Some concluding thoughts:

If you buy it, you buy it because of the squirrel of course, so it all comes down to if you like the animal or not. But the pieces you get with it aren't useless so the higher price than the Collectible Minifigures is not unbearable. The squirrel is of course very cartoon-y, just like the rest of the Friends animal, but I still find it quite alright to use in a normal LEGO setting. It's certainly too big to be realistic, but all small LEGO animals are too big (ants anyone?) so it's not too much of a big deal. It's about the same size as the chimpanzee that can be found in the Collectible series.

Ratings:

Design: 5/10, simple and standard. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Parts: 8/10, most are very useful and there is actually more pieces than I had thought.

Animal: 7/10, so far the best of the Friends animals in my opinion, and something we have never seen before.

Price: 6/10, not so bad. Arguably it's mostly small parts, but the price per piece is quite ok in SEK. Maybe it's a different story in other countries.

Total: 7/10, if you want a squirrel, buy it. If not, then pass. It's as simple as that. :thumbup:

Let me finish by quoting General McAuliffe during the Battle of the Bulge, WW2:

"Nuts!"

:grin:

8274431373_4ea3bdf0c4.jpg

I would definite buy this set just because of that sweet little Squirrel!

Well, I do like most Friends set anyway...

Thanks for a great review 'Etzel', cool little critter eh ? :grin:

That little hutch is not bad a little build and very simple acorns too.....yet effective. :wink:

Brick On Review On with your Friend's 'Etzel' ! :grin:

Thanks Etzel for the early review. I supposed I will only consider the squirrel to be the highlight of this packet. I am sure this new packaging will appeal to many light collectors.

Nice early review, 'Etzel'! :classic:

Even thought the animals look a bit weird, I really like these Friends Animal Boosterpack sets. I have a question though... How does the bag's texture feel? Is it like a polybag, or what I imagine it to be like- a promo pack (like this set).

Nice early review, 'Etzel'! :classic:

Even thought the animals look a bit weird, I really like these Friends Animal Boosterpack sets. I have a question though... How does the bag's texture feel? Is it like a polybag, or what I imagine it to be like- a promo pack (like this set).

It's like the bags for the Collectible Minifigs (but twice the size), a more sturdy plastic than the normal polybags. Don't know it's the same like in the Hulk set you linked to (don't have that).

Squirrel! :look:

Not a bad little set. I wish the squirrel was slightly smaller but it looks nice anyway. Definitely getting one when it becomes available. Once it's in hand, I'll decide whether it's good enough to get a couple extra.

Thanks for the review, Etzel. This is definitely on my must-have's list - the squirrel is just too cute. :wub:

Great review!

It's good to see that it is not a random pack this time round.

I actually know what is in those foil packs for the first time since CMFSeries1! :tongue:

Picked this up today & it's not a bad little set for the money (£2.98 from Asda), plenty of leftovers once the set's been built too makes it good value.

Thanks for the lovely review. I haven't seen these new Friends' sets around, but they're definitely a 'must-buy' because of the new animals. Despite the cartoonish looks, they're a nice addition to be included in MOCs.

Thanks for a lovely review.

I wanted this squirrel even before I saw the first pics, and expecting it to be very cartoony I'm not disappointed.

Her eyes are what make her too cute to stand for some but I agree that other Lego animals are too big anyway. She's very welcomed in my Lego City. The bow on the tail is weird but the suirrel doesn't seem to mind ;)

I really like the tree house as well. Nice colors, almost no pink. I like it that the polybags don't include the minidolls, just the animals. I'll surely buy more than one and while I want lots of squirrels I don't need multiples of identical minidolls.

The combined structure from the instructions may seem strange but I like how it shows you can build other things and not just play with the finished build forever. It's like seeing the alternate constructions on the back of the boxes many years ago.

The last picture is great :)