______

Marvel Cinematic Universe

On 4/29/2018 at 4:56 PM, TheBrickLord said:

Must sees are AoU, Civil War and Ragnarok, but if you have time, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Homecoming are good ones for catching up on other characters.

Thank you for answering! I'm relieved there are only two you named that I need to catch up on--AoU I haven't seen since opening weekend in 2015 so I definitely need to go back for that one (I just hope it is better than I remember it), and even though I have seen CW more than once, its been over a year; I could do with a refresher on it as well. The others are all recent (enough) views for me. Thanks again!

On 4/29/2018 at 5:54 PM, Robert8 said:

Any guesses on how they are going to fix the mess?

Hide contents

I think they are going back in time to destroy either at least one of the stones or the gaunlet

I also think changing the past will create a new timeline where the X-Men and the Fantastic Four do exist

Ooh, I like this theory(the second sentence).

On 4/29/2018 at 10:54 PM, samurai-turtle said:

Hide contents

My guess Adam Warlock comes to kick Thanos back side. I believe that is what happens in the comics. And he was hinted at the end credits in GotGv2.

And remember "I am Steve". I get feeling this is going to be the next thing. 

I would imagine we finally see Warlock this time. He was also hinted at in an earlier credits, where we see a full cocoon. I can’t see them wasting two scenes.

Hey guys, I have a question about collecting Marvel merchandise. It may not be an easy answer, but does anyone know what the official poster for Spider-Man: Homecoming was? I have found plenty of posters identified as “teaser” and “advance” posters, but I haven’t found an original studio release of the “theatrical” poster.

More importantly, was the official, cast shot poster put out in circulation?

Edited by Aegis2000

1 hour ago, Aegis2000 said:

Hey guys, I have a question about collecting Marvel merchandise. It may not be an easy answer, but does anyone know what the official poster for Slider-Man: Homecoming was? I have found plenty of posters identified as “teaser” and “advance” posters, but I haven’t found an original studio release of the “theatrical” poster.

More importantly, was the official, cast shot poster put out in circulation?

Technically this was the theatrical poster. The thing about it is that frankly, it's terrible. It got so much of a bad rep online when first shown that I it got pulled from use in theaters, instead using some of the teaser ones over again. 

This album I found on reddit is from a user who does have the poster, but says it was recalled. So they do exist, just very rare.

12 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Technically this was the theatrical poster. The thing about it is that frankly, it's terrible. It got so much of a bad rep online when first shown that I it got pulled from use in theaters, instead using some of the teaser ones over again. 

This album I found on reddit is from a user who does have the poster, but says it was recalled. So they do exist, just very rare.

Thank you for the response! I concur that it’s pretty bad. I don’t know if I should be determined to get one or simply accept that I don’t really want it...

Here's my (long) take on Infinity War:

It had a lot to do; there were so many characters to balance, so many story threads to tie together, not to mention making Thanos more than just a villain of the week. With that in mind, it succeeded. Rarely did the movie feel stuffed or crowded, and most of the characters had meaningful things to do. The only ones whose mission was just "beat stuff up" was the Black Panther crowd and most of Team Cap.

Which was one of the biggest problems--all of the scenes with Cap and Friends had little else going for it than punching stuff hard. They were reduced to scenes of carnage, and they all felt too long. There were few emotionally resonant beats, and the action just felt long and loud with them. My wife compared it to when we saw Warcraft, and I have to agree, except I enjoyed it more in that movie. The reason why is because we have seen these characters do more before, in terms of emotional impact and story, and we know what they are capable of. They simply didn't get any of that do to here. Still, I'd rather have that than like in Ultron where there was story and emotion aplenty, but they were all lousy or out of character. Somebody's arc had to suffer and it makes sense for it to be Team Cap.

Team Iron Man/GOTG were great, and the on-screen dynamic between StarLord and Stark (and earlier, with Thor) was a hoot. Their mission against Thanos was engaging and memorable. It was all the bits from the CW action that I liked without the bits that dragged that movie down.

Gamora played her part well, as did Thanos. I appreciated that he was given more to do than just be evil. It made his character and motivations more resonant and fleshed out. It's kind of a shame we'll only get one more Thanos movie, because he would make a good recurring villain if that were possible.

But the best part of the movie was Thor and Co. and their side quest. Their arc in this movie was the most story driven, character centered, and enjoyable. Thor had some of the best lines, the best action beats, (the best entrance) and the interplay among him and Groot and Rocket Rabbit was some of the best written not just in this movie, but across the MCU. Thor has a serious presence and all the other characters kind of bow toward it. Okay, I might be a little biased since Thor is my favorite, and Hemsworth embodies some of the best aspects of the character from the comics and cartoons, but honestly: he really shines in this one. I think it was smart of the Russos to hang so much of the film on his shoulders.

But riding on the back of this is my biggest pet peeve with IW: it pretty much undoes the entirety of Thor: Ragnarok. Almost every change or challenge that Thor had to overcome there is negated here. Asgard the planet is destroyed, but it's okay, because Asgard was always about the people anyway, oh but now they're dead. Loki finally ends the movie in T:R alive (and Thor knows it) but now he's dead. Dead dead. Thor lost his hammer? Gets a new one. Thor lost an eye? Gets a new one. Thor discovers he has magical lightning powers, even without his signature weapon? Well you'll never see him use them.

Other notes: the action is well staged and choreographed, and the layout/geography easy to follow. The production design of all of the locations--Titan before and after, Nidavallir, a ruined Knowhere, and the various spots on Earth--was great, only rivalled in the MCU by Thor: the Dark World*. In some respects, it did a better Wakanda than Black Panther did. The story was familiar yet not dull, and there were plenty of fun plot developments throughout the film.

We knew people would die, but the scope of the ending surprised everyone in my group, although we all know not all of it can stick. Even so,  the deaths themselves were emotionally gripping, but none more than Peter Parker's. I hope the MCU revisits Stark's PTSD, because I feel like it was never really resolved in IM3 (more brushed aside), and I can't imagine Tony not having some deep emotional scars from this, especially in regards to Peter.

I left the theater exhausted, but I would go see it again right now if I could. It's not a perfect movie, but it gets a lot right, and its flaws are forgivable. I hope A4 can offer a satisfying conclusion.

Overall, I don't know where to rank this one yet. Top five probably, but it's crowded up there so I don't know.

Things I liked:

Peter Parker, cinephile
Quill keeps his promise (well, he tries)
The best Dr. Strange movie yet
Thanos Thanos THANOS!
Mantis, Nebula, Gamora, and Wanda actually get to do something**
This is my voice
I am Groot
The Best Movie Dwarf Ever
Darth MaulRed Skull had a few millennia to think things over and mellow out
You guys are totally screwed
->Snap<-

Stuff I didn't:

The Unbelievable Iron Man (I mean at the end there, really?)
The Ridiculous Iron Spider
Darth MaulRed Skull had a few millennia to think things over and mellow out
Eye think you could have done without this particular trope.

*say what you will about the movie's problems (which are large, and numerous) but its production is Aces. It gets occasional rewatch value out of me just for seeing Asgard so incredibly realized, along with all the ships and vehicles, both Asgardian and Elven. It's a shame the rest of that movie couldn't have tightened up all its loose ends both on- and off-screen.

**it has always seemed a shame to me that the corner of this universe that has the most female characters is in the hands of probably the worst (Marvel) director of any character. An unpopular opinion, I know.

Edited by rodiziorobs

All the rumors of Jake Gyllenhaal cast as Mysterio could lead up to a new Minifigure. We didn't even get him in comic based sets. 

2 hours ago, SpiderJazz said:

All the rumors of Jake Gyllenhaal cast as Mysterio could lead up to a new Minifigure. We didn't even get him in comic based sets. 

I certainly hope so. He’s a big member of the Sinister Six, making his omission unfortunate. Looking at my jellyfish guys from Garmadon’s shark army...that could make for a nice Mysterio, albeit a bit on the big side. 

From what I've heard it seems Marvel finally dropped the ball with Ant-Man and the Wasp. 

I love Paul Rudd since his Friends days and I hate that this happened with Ant-Man but I expected it to happen. They are just releasing way many too movies per year and they are too close to each other

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 5:03 PM, Robert8 said:

From what I've heard it seems Marvel finally dropped the ball with Ant-Man and the Wasp. 

I love Paul Rudd since his Friends days and I hate that this happened with Ant-Man but I expected it to happen. They are just releasing way many too movies per year and they are too close to each other

What do you mean, it has better reviews then the first as of right now

2 hours ago, legosamsonite said:

What do you mean, it has better reviews then the first as of right now

Correct. It actually has a better comments than the first one and it feels really like a direct sequel (not just like MCU movie all connected) except what happens in QR and the post credit scenes.

Looking forward to seeing it, but I still have to catch up with Black Panther and Spiderman Homecoming.

11 hours ago, SpiderJazz said:

Correct. It actually has a better comments than the first one and it feels really like a direct sequel (not just like MCU movie all connected) except what happens in QR and the post credit scenes.

Did you see it?

The comedy is like Ragnarok? (because from the trailers it looks like it is)

Because if it is I'm not going to watch it :grin:

On 6/29/2018 at 7:39 AM, ThunderDrako said:

Did you see it?

The comedy is like Ragnarok? (because from the trailers it looks like it is)

Because if it is I'm not going to watch it :grin:

Ragnarok was very funny.  Taika Waititi is hilarious, and did a great job with Ragnarok.  That said, it worked well for that particular film, and maybe wouldn't be the best style of comedy elsewhere.

3 hours ago, x105Black said:

Ragnarok was very funny. 

That's very subjective :tongue:

Here you can see a slide of my face while seeing Ragnarok in the theater:

Spoiler

m1dRuso.jpg

19 hours ago, ThunderDrako said:

That's very subjective :tongue:

Fair enough.  Comedy can be quite subjective.  I loked this brand of comedy, it brought a lot of levity to the serious subject matter.  The improvised style was something that appealed to me.  I am also quite a fan of Jeff Goldblum, so that helped.

The same could not be said for every film, however.  I certainly didn't enjoy the attempts to shoehorn bad comedy into The Last Jedi, for example.

That looks awful

The body looks photoshopped as heck, and her face is lifeless. Like the girl was taking a nap right before the photoshoot

Also, "the future is female" is cringeworthy :hmpf:

Who would say Marvel would take this route after Star Wars' "the force is female" crashed and burned so spectacularly...

Mark Ruffalo just said that Avengers 4 is not 100% finished yet

Do you think they are trying to fix the Guardians of the Galaxy mess?

Or this is normal? I mean the first trailer should be out in less than 2 months. 

Also the title must be super spoilery since it hasn't been revealed yet. Something like "Avengers 4: Captain Marvel Resurrects" or something.

On 9/7/2018 at 9:20 PM, Robert8 said:

Also the title must be super spoilery since it hasn't been revealed yet. Something like "Avengers 4: Captain Marvel Resurrects" or something.

Or they’re just giving us time to build up our trust in them again, so they can taunt us with the title “Avengers: Oh Snap!”

And speaking of trailers, it’s believed the Captain Marvel trailer will be dropping on Good Morning America this coming Tuesday, September 18.

Edited by Aegis2000

I would actually love if they just advertise the movie as Avengers 4, until the release, where its revealed in the film. Its not like not knowing the title will change that everyone is going to go see it anyways