______

Marvel Cinematic Universe

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

SPOILERS ⬇

Reveal hidden contents

I think killing Doctor Strange and Black Panther gives away that the whole thing will be reverted because there is NO WAY they are getting rid of those characters at this point, which kinda cheapens the effect the movie is supposed to leave in the audience and makes me wonder if both Infinity War movies will be have any consequence at all.

At first when Loki was killed, I was impressed (though I think the character really needs to go away at this point). When Gamora and Vision were killed then it just got real. But when they killed Bucky, Nick Fury, Groot, Spiderman, Star-Lord, Doctor Strange and Black Panther..... you just know this all will be reverted. I mean, there is no way the MCU will go on without them 

Spoiler

Personally I don't agree at all that the killing of so many key characters, in this instance, cheapens the effect. Prior instances of the MCU killing off characters only to bring them back again didn't work so well because in those instances it did feel like we the audience were supposed to think they were dead, and then there was the "surprise they're not" moment afterwards. When there's a surprise moment like that after such a weighty thing like an important character dying, we feel like our emotions have been played with, and it doesn't feel good.

With Infinity War, though, I don't feel like my emotions were played with at all because I expect that Avengers 4 will be all about how our surviving heroes will go about restoring the universe and resurrecting their friends. I'm glad they killed off major characters who I know will not stay dead because now I'm really excited to find out how they'll be saved from death in the end. I'm also interested to see how the heroes, who do basically think their friends are dead, will plow through that crippling despair they must be feeling. 

Ultimately, being excited about the how, as in, the full plot, of the next film is much better than being excited just to learn what happens in the end, because if a movie's whole plot is the part that's interesting it means that the movie is very re-watchable.

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

SPOILERS ⬇

Reveal hidden contents

I think killing Doctor Strange and Black Panther gives away that the whole thing will be reverted because there is NO WAY they are getting rid of those characters at this point, which kinda cheapens the effect the movie is supposed to leave in the audience and makes me wonder if both Infinity War movies will be have any consequence at all.

At first when Loki was killed, I was impressed (though I think the character really needs to go away at this point). When Gamora and Vision were killed then it just got real. But when they killed Bucky, Nick Fury, Groot, Spiderman, Star-Lord, Doctor Strange and Black Panther..... you just know this all will be reverted. I mean, there is no way the MCU will go on without them 

SPOILERS TOO ⬇

Spoiler

You're right...but at the same time they just put in this "limbo" the characters we were sure wouldn't die so in Avengers 4 every single remaining characters could REALLY die!

We know they will come back....put we don't know who we're gonna lose forever among the remaining ones.

On 26/04/2018 at 2:08 AM, Robert8 said:

SPOILERS ⬇

Hide contents

SPOILERS TOO, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO⬇

Spoiler

See, the thing is for me, the characters with standalone films that were erased by The Snap, with the exception of Strange, could all effectively be replaced. I entirely believe we're playing into Strange's 1 out of 14 million scenario, which will lead into The Snap's effects being reverted, but at the same time, there is room for the characters to be replaced.

People have been desperate for a Miles Morales Spider-Man film for years, so if they were to not bring Peter back (which, again, I'm sure they will), there's room for a new Spider-Man to take the helm.

Black Panther kind of made it clear that the title is an honorary passed on to the ruler of Wakanda. If they can somehow regrow the Heart-Shaped Herb, another Black Panther could take the mantle.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 established that the OG Guardians exist and have reformed as of Yondu's death. Rocket could still team up with them and that could be vol. 3

But yeah, Strange is key. He knows they're in the 1 in 14 million timeline, so he knows that people are coming back.

All that aside though, I think everyone killed before Thanos completed the gauntlet are done for. Which means we've permanently lost Loki, Heimdall, Valkyrie, half of Asgard, Gamora, and Vision. And lord knows where Korg and Miek are at this point.

1 hour ago, Fatoran said:

Hide contents

See, the thing is for me, the characters with standalone films that were erased by The Snap, with the exception of Strange, could all effectively be replaced. I entirely believe we're playing into Strange's 1 out of 14 million scenario, which will lead into The Snap's effects being reverted, but at the same time, there is room for the characters to be replaced.

People have been desperate for a Miles Morales Spider-Man film for years, so if they were to not bring Peter back (which, again, I'm sure they will), there's room for a new Spider-Man to take the helm.

Black Panther kind of made it clear that the title is an honorary passed on to the ruler of Wakanda. If they can somehow regrow the Heart-Shaped Herb, another Black Panther could take the mantle.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 established that the OG Guardians exist and have reformed as of Yondu's death. Rocket could still team up with them and that could be vol. 3

But yeah, Strange is key. He knows they're in the 1 in 14 million timeline, so he knows that people are coming back.

All that aside though, I think everyone killed before Thanos completed the gauntlet are done for. Which means we've permanently lost Loki, Heimdall, Valkyrie, half of Asgard, Gamora, and Vision. And lord knows where Korg and Miek are at this point.

SPOILERS: THE WINTER SPOILER⬇

Valkyrie wasn't in the film (at least she wasn't obvious in the film, Tessa Thompson has no credit), her fate is still out in the open

I can pretty much assume now that all characters who faded out are coming back, but like ThunderDrako says, the survivors are the ones who can die and stay dead next film

So any of Steve Rogers, Iron Man, Thor, Bruce Banner, Black Widow, War Machine, Rocket, Okoye, Nebula and M'Baku are likely to make their final appearance, whilst everyone else comes back

Just now, Quicksilver838 said:

Hide contents

Valkyrie wasn't in the film (at least she wasn't obvious in the film, Tessa Thompson has no credit), her fate is still out in the open

I can pretty much assume now that all characters who faded out are coming back, but like ThunderDrako says, the survivors are the ones who can die and stay dead next film

So any of Steve Rogers, Iron Man, Thor, Bruce Banner, Black Widow, War Machine, Rocket, Okoye, Nebula and M'Baku are likely to make their final appearance, whilst everyone else comes back

SPOILERS: RAGNAROK? MORE LIKE BORE: RAGNAROK⬇

Spoiler

I've seen a lot of people saying she was shown dead at the very beginning, hers is one of the bodies that's panned over leading up to where the Black Order are surrounding Loki. If they're right, it's a somewhat underwhelming end to her character, but I'll have to wait for a rewatch to be absolutely sure if she's there or not. But yeah, I pretty much agree. Was more just throwing out the point that a few of these characters could stay faded even though I wholeheartedly believe they won't.

SPOILERS: THE DARK WORLD⬇

Hide contents

I'm just wondering how marketing for the next Avengers will be. We know almost for a fact anyone who vanished during the snap is coming back during the film, but of course they can't spoil that. We're down to Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Iron Man, War Machine, Rocket, Nebula, Okoye, maybe Wong, and most definitely Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Captain Marvel. That's not nearly as much characters as Infinity War had, and a lot of those are minor characters too. 

6 hours ago, Fatoran said:

SPOILERS: RAGNAROK? MORE LIKE BORE: RAGNAROK⬇

Hide contents

I've seen a lot of people saying she was shown dead at the very beginning, hers is one of the bodies that's panned over leading up to where the Black Order are surrounding Loki. If they're right, it's a somewhat underwhelming end to her character, but I'll have to wait for a rewatch to be absolutely sure if she's there or not. But yeah, I pretty much agree. Was more just throwing out the point that a few of these characters could stay faded even though I wholeheartedly believe they won't.

TRANSPOILERS: REVENGE OF THE SPOILER ⬇

I think I saw her body, but I agree I need to watch it again. Maybe she could've escaped off screen with Korg and Miek, and some of the Asgardians perhaps, as technically we start the film after Thanos has won, we never saw the entire siege of the Statesman. 

On 4/26/2018 at 1:35 AM, Clone OPatra said:
  Hide contents

With Infinity War, though, I don't feel like my emotions were played with at all because I expect that Avengers 4 will be all about how our surviving heroes will go about restoring the universe and resurrecting their friends. I'm glad they killed off major characters who I know will not stay dead because now I'm really excited to find out how they'll be saved from death in the end. I'm also interested to see how the heroes, who do basically think their friends are dead, will plow through that crippling despair they must be feeling. 

Ultimately, being excited about the how, as in, the full plot, of the next film is much better than being excited just to learn what happens in the end, because if a movie's whole plot is the part that's interesting it means that the movie is very re-watchable.

SPOILERS⬇

Spoiler

I think they are giving Avengers 4 to the orginal team to shine one last before handing over the baton to the next generation, so we agree on that. But I think they should have done something less obvious with the bunch of characters who died at the end. Maybe like the Soul Stone sucking their souls and leaving their empty corpses behind or something. That way we would know the deaths in the movie were real real deaths (I mean Loki, Vision, Gamora, etc). Because I felt Avengers 3 was just a prelude for the actual movie and I'm afraid there will be no consequences at all

20 hours ago, Fatoran said:

Hide contents

SPOILERS⬇

Spoiler

I don't think any of the deaths will be permanent

SPOILERS FOR AVENGERS 4⬇

Spoiler

Thanks to filming reports, we know they are are using the Time Stone to go back to the time of the first Avengers movie as pics show Tony Stark and Ant-Man talking with Captain America wearing his first uniform and Thor wearing his Avengers 1 outfit and holding Mjolnir. So, I think they'll avoid the whole events of Avengers 3 and all the deaths will be reversed

14 hours ago, legozebra said:

SPOILERS: THE DARK WORLD⬇

Hide contents

I'm just wondering how marketing for the next Avengers will be. We know almost for a fact anyone who vanished during the snap is coming back during the film, but of course they can't spoil that. We're down to Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Iron Man, War Machine, Rocket, Nebula, Okoye, maybe Wong, and most definitely Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Captain Marvel. That's not nearly as much characters as Infinity War had, and a lot of those are minor characters too. 

SPOILERS⬇

Spoiler

That's an interesting point because there are 3 movies coming out too close from each other

Cap Marvel

Avengers 4 

Spiderman 2

Any single promotion they'll do of Spiderman 2, will spoil that they are all coming back. With Captain Marvel gets more tricky because we don't know how much the events of that movie will impact Avengers 4

And I bet Avengers 4 itself will be promoted as the last adventure of the original team or something like that 

Edited by Robert8

Spoiler

Haven't seen the movie yet, but If Black Panther dies, I hope he stays dead, I didn't like him in Civil War, and I skipped Black Panther for this reason as well.

Edited by Savage Oppress

When you could see Bruce head in the Hulkbuster at the end (you know with out the helmet on). Did anyone else though that looked off? 

Plus, did anyone think the theme music might of been played a little to loud? (Their was the issue of me having a headache so that might been part of the problem.)

I know I am asking for trouble coming in here while still trying to avoid spoilers, but I am going to go see IW soon--probably a week or so--and feel like I need to do some catch-up on some previous movies.

So, if you had to name three previous MCU movies that were essential to be up to speed when IW starts, what would they be? Don't explain why, and don't consider whether they were good or not (suggest IM3 or Thor:TDW all you want If they're relevant), just name three movies I should rewatch before going in.

P.s. probably no Phase 1 stuff--I feel like I know those all pretty well.

Thank you!

Must sees are AoU, Civil War and Ragnarok, but if you have time, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Homecoming are good ones for catching up on other characters.

Spoiler

All the apparent time travelling characters have devices on their wrist. It will probably be explained that they can time travel using the quantum realm in 2 Ant 2 Man. Vision might be coming back as "White Vision", basically the Vision but with no emotion. Hawkeye will probably see his family die in the snap, so he comes back as Ronin to avenge them. 

The Korg, Meik and Valkyrie are fine guys, Thor said that Thanos spared half his people, plus Thanos apparently cut the ship in half, according to some viewers, meaning that the half didn't die when he blew up the ship. Anyway, I doubt they'd kill a fan favourite like Valkyrie off screen.

Any guesses on how they are going to fix the mess?

Spoiler

I think they are going back in time to destroy either at least one of the stones or the gaunlet

I also think changing the past will create a new timeline where the X-Men and the Fantastic Four do exist

26 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Hide contents

I think they are going back in time to destroy either at least one of the stones or the gaunlet

I also think changing the past will create a new timeline where the X-Men and the Fantastic Four do exist

Spoiler

I think they may make a sacrifice like what Thanos did with Gamora.  Like someone kills Tony Stark or Steve Rogers to reverse things.  We know Spiderman and Black Panther are coming back they have sequels coming.  I really thought they were gonna kill off Stark or Cap or Thor given all of them having their contracts expiring after avengers 4.  I was surprised they killed off most of the Guardians.  

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Reveal hidden contents

My guess Adam Warlock comes to kick Thanos back side. I believe that is what happens in the comics. And he was hinted at the end credits in GotGv2.

And remember "I am Steve". I get feeling this is going to be the next thing. 

On 27/04/2018 at 2:24 PM, Fatoran said:

Hide contents

It's too soon for those three things to happen, and it would confuse audiences who only watch their movies. I definitely expect the snap deaths to be reversed, but I think Gamora, Loki, Heimdell and Vision will stay dead. Nebula will take Gamora's place in the next Guardians of the Galaxy; Karen Gillan has proven she is capable of being a lead in a Hollywood franchise with Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle, so there's no issues there.

On 27/04/2018 at 4:08 PM, Quicksilver838 said:

Hide contents

Rocket won't be dead, and killing off Nebula would be stupid when Gamora is unlikely to be revived - wouldn't that negate the whole dramatic impact of Thanos having to sacrifice somebody he loves in order to claim the Soul Stone? You'd need someone in Volume 3 to fill Gamora's space on the team, and Nebula is the obvious candidate.

A couple of points I wanted to speak on, I have not read through the last few pages of this thread so not sure how much these have been discussed or what others opinions may be, so obviously spoilers ahead,

First, the scene when mantis was holding Thanos down with her powers. I've seen so many complaints from people about how Starlord completely screwed this situation up ad how it could have been ended right there, and that the writing should have been changed. I completely diagree. Dr Strange saw the possible futures and knows the one future where they win. If he wanted to, he could have reversed the situation once Starlord started acting up. Instead, he chose to let things happen, and give the stone to Thanos to save Tony. That to me is all framework for bigger payoff in Avengers 4.

Second, in regards to who died in the "gauntlet purge" at the end, I think it makes a lot of sense that characters with confirmed second movies died. We know that their fates are to make it out okay in the end. Sure we don't know that with characters like Bucky, the point still stands- we are left still with the original Avengers team, and now we don't know who could actually die for good in 4 in the final fight against Thanos. I have no doubt those that were vaporized will come back, but I feel that the characters left standing in IW are far from safe from perma-death. (Oh, and I really hope that characters like Loki and Gamora are dead for good, those ones were definitely impactful and I feel should not be reversed.)

Third, I've heard a lot of complaints about "not showing Valkyrie or Korg or anyone else from Ragnarok dying"  Well it's very possible that they did not die. Thanos destroys half of civilizations, and he very easily could have let half of Asgard escape into escape pods or something, those characters included, without much care. (And I feel the same is true of Xandar, I'm sure they could pull that string if they ever want to make a Nova movie).

Last, a small prediction for Avengers 4 and how it will end; Tony's wedding. I am placing my bets now that he will not die, and instead the final scene of Avengers 4 will be a celebration of his wedding with Pepper and all of the remaining Avengers in attendance. (and hey that's a good way to tease future movies, have a guest or two there with a recognizable name, like a member of the Fantastic Four or Xmen or something..) But this ends the films on a celebration, and also ends this era of the MCU where it began, with Tony. Plus, it gives them a way to write Tony out (he wants to live in peace with pepper and get away from all of this) but also doesn't kill him off in case they ever need him for the future.

Saw IW, and it was great.

Spoiler

I really can't describe my feelings, so I won't. But it really did beg the question: "what now?"

I'm glad I can read spoilers now, and just going through the comments here brought up a few interesting points. Mainly it never occurring to me how far Strange could have been looking into the future. We, the viewers, were all probably only thinking he was looking up to the end of the film, but Strange could have been looking at the long term. What seems bad now could work itself out down the line. 

Other comments: Guardians of the Galaxy I can see being Rocket, Nebula and some others. If Korg, Miek (sp?), and Valkyrie are all still alive, it'd be nice to see them join too. At least for now.

I don't see The Snap deaths being permanent. Some, maybe. But not all of them. I have a feeling we'll be seeing some characters return.

Just keep thinking. There's a lot too process, and I don't know what so say. The ending was great, though. That's probably one of the best endings to a movie I've seen, right up there with Inception. Loved it. 

So yeah, great movie.

VBBN couldn't agree with you more 

Spoiler

I also thought the movie was good and don't get all the complaints.  I think the movie came out better than I thought.  I was going into the movie prepared to see Tony, Cap, or Thor die or even all of them die.  The ending was great I didn't expect Thanos to get all the infinity stones by the end.  The snap ending was cool and reminded me of the comics.  It will be interesting to see how they play this out in Avengers 4 and what hero's will be lost for good and what new hero's they will bring on.  Also to see what new villains they will throw into the mix.  

16 hours ago, Kalhiki said:

Hide contents

I'm glad I can read spoilers now, and just going through the comments here brought up a few interesting points. Mainly it never occurring to me how far Strange could have been looking into the future. We, the viewers, were all probably only thinking he was looking up to the end of the film, but Strange could have been looking at the long term. What seems bad now could work itself out down the line. 

Spoiler

The key to that for me is that Strange made it absolutely clear when they were first travelling to Titan that if it came down to choosing the stone over Spidey or Tony, he would choose the stone. So I immediately picked up on him willingly giving up the stone to spare Tony. This is definitely his endgame.

when they showed the movie's title again at the end and snap killed all the letters I thought the dust was going to settle into a 'part 1' now that would've been epic.

I saw Infinity war on opening day and it was so good!! I wasn't ready for it going in, it absolutely blew me away. It's my all time favorite movie now! Doctor strange was a given a lot of spotlight I wasn't expecting at all.

I love how doctor strange saw 14,000,605 outcomes and is key for Avengers 4. He knows the plan and Tony Stark is essential to defeat Thanos. Also, did anyone else see the scarecrow at the end when thanos is sitting? Good reference! Also, the gauntlet looks wrecked, so I wonder what that means... Can we talk about captain marvel? I'm hyped for that movie now. She obviously plays a big role and I'm curious to see why she Nick didn't contact her until now. I mean, this is the biggest threat, but there has to be a reason behind it.

It's going to be hard to wait for A4! Super super recommend watching infinity war, it deserves every penny.

On 4/27/2018 at 4:58 PM, Quicksilver838 said:

TRANSPOILERS: REVENGE OF THE SPOILER ⬇

Hide contents

I think I saw her body, but I agree I need to watch it again. Maybe she could've escaped off screen with Korg and Miek, and some of the Asgardians perhaps, as technically we start the film after Thanos has won, we never saw the entire siege of the Statesman. 

This was answered by Joe Russo at a Q&A he held at a high school a few days after release.

Spoiler

He said Valkyrie is still alive. He was also asked about Korg's fate and said he couldn't reveal that yet.