______

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Hey guys I have a copy of the leaked trailer downloaded, its a bit better quality than the one everyone is seeing leaked. Let me know if you want it sent to you, its being taken down everywhere

The Defenders is out on Netflix. It has 8 episodes.

It's... okay. I feel like Daredevil and Jessica Jones were excellent series. Luke Cage had an amazing first half and a much weaker second half. Iron Fist was just bad. And this is at best an average TV show. There was nothing amazing about The Defenders. It failed to be anywhere near comparable to what The Avengers did. Idunno it was just kind of meh. I've been worried that the Neftlix quality control has been down a lot the past year and this just worries me more. It's just okay. (And Danny Rand is still a moron).

My favourite Netflix series are still Daredevil 1/2 (because of Fisk and Castle) and Jessica Jones (because of both Jessica and Kilgrave) but I liked The Defenders!

I like how they united all characters, they gave the right amount of time to everyone, they explained all the Hand thing and seeing the interactions between The Defenders is awesome!

The "meh" things for me are:
- they ruined a little Madame Gao
- the flirt between Jones and Cage, I know that in the comics are married but for megablocking sake Luke, you have a GF goddamnit!
- aren't Hand blades supposed to be poisoned?!?!?

Ok, I loved Ragnarok! There were issues with the movie, but more pros than cons. A lot of comedy can be a good and bad thing. In this case, the people in my theater were laughing 75% of the time. That means they enjoyed it, I was part of that 75%. Korg and Hulk were the highlights of the movie. You know what? They actually made Thor likeable! The beginning scene was great! Loved the interaction between surtur and Thor. Clancy Brown voiced surtur and delivered! Hela was badass, a great villain overall! The arena battle was good, not to short and not to long. Some wasted characters, but at least they reinvented Thor. A solid film overall, I would recommend it to anyone!

I have very mixed feelings about Thor Ragnarok :sceptic:

Spoiler

I loved Korg, Valkyrie and Hela (she's the usual "Argh, argh I'm bad" Marvel villain but Cate Blanchett acting was outstanding!).

I loved A LOT its end: Thor realizes he has to start ragnarok, the refugee ship, the cliffhanger with probably Thanos ship! Hela was too strong so they used another villain to beat her...soooo good!!! And Thor with the eye pad looks badass!

And I loved a lot of other things but

They ruined Banner, they showed him as a wimp. He's not!

Too many dumb jokes: the ball the bounces on Thor's head, the "wait a second I'm turning around" with Surtur, the Devil Anus, at the end when Banner jumped from the spaceship I was "Please, please, don't tell me they are going to do the gag that he crashes without hulking out, please!"...and obviously it happened...and many others! And the funny jokes are usually misplaced...

For me the movie was completely out of emotions: Thor loses his hammer, ODIN DIES!, I have a sister?, the Warriors Three are dead, IF BANNER HULKS OUT AGAIN HE MAY NOT COME BACK, the end of Asgard! These things happen but you don't feel any emotions because every time there has to be a joke and then nobody cares anymore.

Guardians of the Galaxy has A LOT of jokes but the emotional parts are very strong!

I REALLY hope Infinity War won't be like Ragnarok :cry_sad:

P.S. all Asgard was like 100 people?! Are they the only one that survived Hela? Sometimes the refugee ship looks small, sometimes big...I don't understand how many people are in there xD

Out of the theater I had the same feelings I had after Age Of Ultron, good movies ruined but few but big flaws (while very different movies both of them had problems with too many dumb jokes).

P.S. obviously this "review" is completely subjective ;)

Also I'm VERY VERY hyped for the Punisher :wub:

Edited by ThunderDrako

My Thor Ragnarok thoughts and sort of a recap of the MCU in 2017 in general:

I loved Thor Ragnarok. It was hilarious, and redeemed a lot of the worst aspects of the character in Thor and Thor 2. Both of the prior Thor films were to serious "Shakespeare in the Park" stuff. Ragnarok's irreverent style was a direct antidote to solve the prior film's stuffy attitude, bringing the character more in-line with his depictions in the Avengers series. I do agree the humor did undercut some of the film's more dramatic moment's, but lets be honest no prior Thor film has been this dramatic. The first Thor was pretty consequence free, with a small town being destroyed with no real visible casualties. The second Thor did see the death of Thor's mother, but the Loki "death" was a fake out. Despite the humor, Ragnarok brought in some franchise shaking moments from the death of Odin, the reveal of a long lost sister Hela, the destruction of Mjolnir, Thor discovering his true power, Thor losing an eye, and the destruction of Asgard. Its a franchise reset, and if Thor returns after Avengers 4; we will see a very different character than what we saw in Thor 1 and 2. They could take him into increasingly cosmic adventures with Beta Ray Bill showing up; or they could use the loss of his eye, father, and home to eventually bring the franchise back to its serious roots taking the route of the comic series Unworthy: Thor

As for advancing to the MCC end-game? Thor probably meets Thanos and Loki has the Tesseract. The end. :grin: Really, the ending while obvious where it was heading was also very sparse. It is the most sparse we have seen Marvel be since the original Iron Man's post-credits scene. In a way, Thor works as a standalone film which is simultaneously wonderfully aware it is part of a larger universe. Dr. Strange's cameo was awesome, and the fact he arrived with little to no explanation is hopefully a sign that Marvel is well aware its fans understand its now 17 film large universe. 

With that said, the lack of Jane Foster and Friends wasn't really missed in this film; but I wonder if they will ever return to the MCU. Yes, it seems Thor and Jane came to a "mutual decision" ending their relationship. However, if Thor bites the dust/buys the farm/kicks the bucket/ in Avengers 3 or 4... then Thor's mantle going to Jane would be appropriate (although the loss of Mjolnir could impede that adaptation). Or again, we could drag Beta Ray Bill into this... 

As for the whole franchise other than Ragnarok we got two solid films in both Guardians Vol 2. and Homecoming this year. Guardians and Homecoming both are great films, although Spider-Man's smaller domestic returns is a sign that super-hero fatigue is setting in with long running heroes such as Spider-Man. While I don't watch Netflix's shows, it seems most people were satisfied with Defenders, although the solo Iron Fist show was panned. We will also be getting Runaways on Hulu soon, another addition to Marvel's streaming services. As for network TV, we got a solid season finale on Agents of SHIELD which was plagued by behind the scenes deliberation over the future of that show; and we got Inhumans which landed worse than an albatross. Furthermore we got hints at the future plot of Cloak and Dagger, and New Warriors; but recent network schedule changes have put New Warrior's future in doubt as it currently isn't signed up with a network to air it.

So in short, I feel this was a great year for Marvel's films, but its TV shows and streaming series have been varying quality. Which is a pity I think that the TV side of Marvel has been so bumpy. I would like to see Marvel turn some attention to bolstering the TV shows after Infinity War is done; and try and help insure the same even-quality of the films is done in the small screen. As for the films though, Marvel is really running on full gear. Its spectacular, and I can't wait to finally see the long awaited Avengers 3 next year!!! 

I saw Ragnarok on Friday and enjoyed it immensely. I haven't mentally ranked it among the other MCU films yet (I'll need to do a rewatch for a definitive answer there, hopefully sooner than later) but it was a blast. It's a solid 4.5/5 from me, I'd definitely recommend it.

After seeing Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople last year (possibly one of my favorite movies ever), I was excited when I heard that he was directing Ragnarok. He has his own way of doing things, and whether or not it works, it's always uniquely him and worth it for that. I was worried somewhat that Corporate Disney would be too concerned with making a product instead of letting him make art, but those worries were unfounded: Taika's fingerprints are all over this film.

Which means a lot of his humor was there but also a lot of his sense of emotion. He does great with zany goofy gags, but he also can put a fair amount of heartbreak on screen by giving his actors real direction.

There was a lot that worked, and some that didn't. Taika's brand of humor often involves a lot of slapstick, but it occasionally works against the movie. It's a minor complaint, but I thought a little restraint might have been beneficial--i.e. Thor interrupting Surtur a second time (the first was sufficient) and Banner face-planting on the Rainbow Bridge. I saw it coming and thought it would have been a lot cooler if the same shot had shown him falling mid-transformation and toppling Fenris off the bridge as the Hulk. My wife actually thought that was one of the funniest gags, but then we also disagreed on the part where Thor bounces the ball off the window--she didn't care for it but I laughed.

The story was good, the effects (other than green-screen Norway) were amazing, and I didn't even mind when Immigrant Song played through the second time--it fit so well in both instances I was totally on board. The rest of the score from Mark Mothersbaugh was good-to-great through the film. I won't say Marvel finally got a villain right, but at least Hela was better than most: top five for MCU, at any rate. I liked Skurge a lot, even though he is totally unlike the source material. Loki was less amazing than in his other appearances, but still a treat. Thor remains my favorite Avenger, and Hemsworth was on point the whole time. Movie-wide, the fight choreography was outstanding--on par with the Avengers, which I think is an incredibly high honor.

Probably the best thing about the movie is that it feels lived in--the characters especially, and I think that's largely attributable to Waititi's direction. The cast was only guilty of overacting a few times, and the cameos were hilarious. Matt Damon's was obvious, but it took until the end of the play for me to recognize Sam Neill! I'm glad Waititi, like Nolan, has a small pool of talent he draws from for these cameo/supporting roles.

My biggest gripe (still minor) with the acting is that they all have their big dumb caricature aspects to help the audience sort it out. For example, Valkyrie isn't just drunk, but the most obvious cliche sort of drunk; Hela isn't just a villain but occasionally a snarling mustache-twirling villain; Banner isn't just a nervous wreck but the most nervous-est wreck ever, etc. I think those aspects could have been downplayed slightly, but as is they weren't so obtuse as to be intolerable.

Things I liked:
Getting the Led out
Every. Thor. Fight.
God of Hammers
Fenris, and Hela's spikes of DOOOOM
"Because that's what heroes do"
Real consequences, dang it
The Tragedy of Loki, in One Act
Dez and Troy
It's a tie

Didn't care for/didn't like:
Cartoon butt (but less than the Minions movie)
Pointless sexy villain strut
Slap-happy-stick
(No) Lady Sif and (no more) Warriors Three
Loki's weakest outing
Bad wigs
Rainbow Bridge as Tractor Beam?
Asgard's peasant class

If my thoughts change after a rewatch, I'll be sure to update this post.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Just now, Robert8 said:

Are you serious???

Is Disney going to buy the whole planet earth or what?

Them and Amazon :laugh:

Anyway, talks have stopped but they said they may continue. Its all corporate secrecy until its official. Hopefully one day.

If Disney buys out Fox, we could get the X-Men finally under the MCU banner. But off topic from Marvel, first off Disney would want to make the purchase to also gain distribution rights to the original six Star Wars films, especially A New Hope whose distribution rights were given to Fox "indefinitely." 

But what would Disney do with Fox's other properties, particularly their animated TV shows? I could see Disney either trying to capitalize on the popular revenue sources such as The Simpson, but I also don't know it they are ready to also to take on Family Guy and crew... Heck, I wouldn't be shocked to see Fox's entire animated line-up be abruptly shut down as soon as the mouse steps in. 

Also if Fox goes down, it really leaves Disney, Universal-NBC, and Time-Warner as the sole kings of world mass media. Which would be absolutely crazy. 

5 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

But what would Disney do with Fox's other properties, particularly their animated TV shows? I could see Disney either trying to capitalize on the popular revenue sources such as The Simpson, but I also don't know it they are ready to also to take on Family Guy and crew... Heck, I wouldn't be shocked to see Fox's entire animated line-up be abruptly shut down as soon as the mouse steps in.

Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill were made by Miramax when it was controlled by Disney (1993-2010)

Probably Disney wouldn't put their logo on shows like Simpsons and Family Guy but I think (as long as these shows continue to make money) they will be ok ;)

Edited by ThunderDrako

Saw Thor today. I haven’t enjoyed a soundtrack this much since the first GotG.

Hela destroying Mjolnir didn’t have a real impact thanks to basically seeing it happen in a trailer. Nonetheless, it still hurt. I liked the cameo of Dr. Strange(seeing Thor with an umbrella gave a whole new use for the Lego Batman movie Penguin’s one). My usual nitpicks aren’t as much this time surprisingly. Once they told the story of Hela vs. the Valkyries, and seeing the blonde one die for the one we have, I want so upset at the casting as she isn’t THE Valkyrie. Super bummed at seeing the Warrior’s Three die...

I was a bit bummed there was no mention of The Collector, even in the post credits. 

Contest of Champions scene/fight was awesome. Even though I knew Hulk was going to come crashing out of there, I was still excited to see it. Loki’s face when he came out was great...as was his reaction when Thor got man handled.

The real stand out was Matt Damon. :tongue: 

Thor was... okay...

It felt like it was trying to be too much like Guardians of the Galaxy. Lots of that humor. Idunno. Too much for me. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy, didn't like 2 because they just multiplied what 1 did 10 fold (dancing Baby Groot is ridiculous and terrible). But this didn't do that kind of humor as good.

Idunno. I can't nitpick it that much. I feel like more emotion could have been portrayed. We haven't seen Thor's reaction to his best friends dying. Didn't really have an emotional impact when his species was mostly killed (with apparently only the civies living). It was what should have been a more emotional movie dealing with lots of death that was cheapened by cheap humor even after the killings started. Thor just didn't seem to care that much! I really did not like this aspect of it.

That said it wasn't bad. It was an average Marvel movie. Better than the bad ones. Worse than the better ones. Somewhere in the middle. Homecoming was soooo much better.

The Hulk was also a much weaker storyline that I expected. I half expect the comic World War Hulk to happen. The Hulk's emotional storyline was... not emotional. Again, he was mostly used as a gag and to say "HEY LOOK! IT'S THE HULK!"...

As a fan of comics I generally am under the opinion that 98% of them are crap and are written terribly.  But World War Hulk was pretty darned good. And every bit of the emotion from those comics is absolutely not in this movie, with the movie more being vaguely inspired (at least on the Hulk's part) by the comic but there's really no connection.

I feel like Marvel Movies are really hit and miss these days. The greats like Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Homecoming, etc really maintain a certain level of humor alongside of having some real emotions and a real story with believably consequences and characters. This in my mind is a miss because the story lacks strength and emotion and for a story dealing with the genocide of a race I feel like that's a massive misstep.

I'd rate it..

3/5 stars. Entertaining but ultimately forgettable. But not as forgettable as some of the bad ones like Avengers 2.

Also on note of the music... they tried to make a Wonder Woman-like music piece for when Thor gets all bad@$$ but it's just worse.

Edited by BrickG

1 hour ago, BrickG said:

Thor was... okay...

Hide contents

It felt like it was trying to be too much like Guardians of the Galaxy. Lots of that humor. Idunno. Too much for me. I loved Guardians of the Galaxy, didn't like 2 because they just multiplied what 1 did 10 fold (dancing Baby Groot is ridiculous and terrible). But this didn't do that kind of humor as good.

Idunno. I can't nitpick it that much. I feel like more emotion could have been portrayed. We haven't seen Thor's reaction to his best friends dying. Didn't really have an emotional impact when his species was mostly killed (with apparently only the civies living). It was what should have been a more emotional movie dealing with lots of death that was cheapened by cheap humor even after the killings started. Thor just didn't seem to care that much! I really did not like this aspect of it.

That said it wasn't bad. It was an average Marvel movie. Better than the bad ones. Worse than the better ones. Somewhere in the middle. Homecoming was soooo much better.

The Hulk was also a much weaker storyline that I expected. I half expect the comic World War Hulk to happen. The Hulk's emotional storyline was... not emotional. Again, he was mostly used as a gag and to say "HEY LOOK! IT'S THE HULK!"...

As a fan of comics I generally am under the opinion that 98% of them are crap and are written terribly.  But World War Hulk was pretty darned good. And every bit of the emotion from those comics is absolutely not in this movie, with the movie more being vaguely inspired (at least on the Hulk's part) by the comic but there's really no connection.

I feel like Marvel Movies are really hit and miss these days. The greats like Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Homecoming, etc really maintain a certain level of humor alongside of having some real emotions and a real story with believably consequences and characters. This in my mind is a miss because the story lacks strength and emotion and for a story dealing with the genocide of a race I feel like that's a massive misstep.

I'd rate it..

3/5 stars. Entertaining but ultimately forgettable. But not as forgettable as some of the bad ones like Avengers 2.

Also on note of the music... they tried to make a Wonder Woman-like music piece for when Thor gets all bad@$$ but it's just worse.

I agree with almost everything you wrote! I thought I was the only one since both critics and public think it's the ultimate masterpiece *huh*

Edited by ThunderDrako

I want to squeeeee out loud. That... Trailer... The music. The heroes. Thor and the Guardians. Everything. :cry_sad:*huh*

Can't wait!!

Well that was something. I'm a little skeptical about this big of a teamup given the mess that was Age of Ultron, and the compromises the Russos made in Civil War make me uneasy I'll see the same thing here...but that was a great trailer. And to think that people had been complaining how Marvel's music was bland and forgettable!

Edited by rodiziorobs

I have a feeling that one particular quote from Thanos in the teaser is destined to become a meme, if it hasn't already. :laugh:

"Fun really isn't something one considers when (insert subject here). But this, does put a smile on my face."

41 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I have a feeling that one particular quote from Thanos in the teaser is destined to become a meme, if it hasn't already. :laugh:

"Fun really isn't something one considers when (insert subject here). But this, does put a smile on my face."

:laugh: :thumbup:

Just watched the AIW trailer. Love the end scene!