______

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Technically Season 3 of Agents of SHIELD gave us two Latin American superheroes, Joey and that Columbian woman. Both Inhumans to. Oh and Ghost Rider in MoAS will be Mexican to.

That's true, but it's still lacking in the films. It's interesting to me how they've made the effort on television to make it ethnically diverse, while the movies still have quite a ways to go.

I don't get the whole diversity argument in cases like these. Any white character can be cast of a different ethnicity, such as Mary Jane (potentially) or the Human Torch, but when it comes to casting a character of color or minority ethnic descent, like White Tiger, it has to be spot-on casting for them? You look over in DC TV: the members of the West family (originally white characters in the comics) on "The Flash" were cast as African-American (and yes it turned out to be great), but you cast a minority character such as Trajectory gets cast as white and people flip? I again have no doubt of Zendaya's talent, and she may very well do a fantastic job. I just think that's a classic comic personality such as Mary Jane Watson should be spot on. Kirsten Dunst fit the appearance by dying her hair, and ironically, Emma Stone did the same for Gwen Stacy. I don't believe she was necessarily miscast, i just don't look upon this as the set choice for the film. I'm sorry if anyone sees this as possibly insensitive, but that's how I feel about this, and in cases like this..."to each their own."

The MCU is headed on the right track. The upcoming film Black Panther is a huge step in the right direction, and is the first of its kind: a minority-led superhero film (Unless you count Blade, 1998). And if you think about it, Guardians of the Galaxy technically included a lot of racial diversity, for any film.

Edited by Aegis2000

I don't get the whole diversity argument in cases like these. Any white character can be cast of a different ethnicity, such as Mary Jane (potentially) or the Human Torch, but when it comes to casting a character of color or minority ethnic descent, like White Tiger, it has to be spot-on casting for them? You look over in DC TV: the members of the West family (originally white characters in the comics) on "The Flash" were cast as African-American (and yes it turned out to be great), but you cast a minority character such as Trajectory gets cast as white and people flip? I again have no doubt of Zendaya's talent, and she may very well do a fantastic job. I just think that's a classic comic personality such as Mary Jane Watson should be spot on. Kirsten Dunst fit the appearance by dying her hair, and ironically, Emma Stone did the same for Gwen Stacy. I don't believe she was necessarily miscast, i just don't look upon this as the set choice for the film. I'm sorry if anyone sees this as possibly insensitive, but that's how I feel about this, and in cases like this..."to each their own."

The MCU is headed on the right track. The upcoming film Black Panther is a huge step in the right direction, and is the first of its kind: a minority-led superhero film (Unless you count Blade, 1998). And if you think about it, Guardians of the Galaxy technically included a lot of racial diversity, for any film.

It's because in the large scheme of things, historically there haven't been that many roles for minority actors and really still aren't. Yes things have improved dramatically from sixty years ago but there is still a bunch of under representation of minorities in hollywood and representation matters not just for careers but kids. If your a black kid yes you can connect to a white actor because we are all human, but nothing will beat seeing a superhero or a character that looks like you because the closer they represent you the more likely that could be you. It's part of the fantasy.

For instance my High School advisor is a big star wars fan and he was telling me when he was a youngster watching Empire Strikes Back when it first released. He loved it and then Lando showed up and he was beyond ecstatic. Of course he loved Han Solo and Luke but he told me when he saw Lando he suddenly felt like he could belong in this universe that black people existed in that galaxy, because just like the MCU Star Wars is dominated by mostly a white cast.

Thats not to say there's anything wrong with casting a white actor, i'm a white guy that used to do theatre however look at all the movies released. Look at all the video games main protagonists. All white dudes. For now since there aren't many roles for minority actors having a white actor play that role isn't helping to diversify media. That being said in sixty years time, where hopefully we get our act together, it won't matter if a white guy plays a black part (unless race is distinctly important to the character).

Edited by Forresto

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily say it's a double standard, but that there arent a ton of minority roles available within the A and B list Marvel/DC Superheroes and even Hollywood in general. So people get upset when you give a minority role to a white actor because it takes away their already lesser opportunities.

That's true, but it's still lacking in the films. It's interesting to me how they've made the effort on television to make it ethnically diverse, while the movies still have quite a ways to go.

The one thing I loved about the Latin American characters in MoAS was the chance to practice my Spanish listening skills. I can hardly understand the Columbian woman at all, very different accent from the Argentine accent I am used to.

But remember when Mack learned a few Spanish words to speak to the Columbian woman? I understood every single word Mack said. Because that's how an American English speaker actually sounds the first time they speak Spanish. In fact that is probably how I sound when I try and speak Spanish...

The comic con footage apparently showed zendaya being very rude to Peter Parker.

That's not Mary Jane like

So lets see what they do with her character. I think she'll do good, we'll just have to wait next year to see how she does.

(Im)patiently waiting for Charlie Cox's Daredevil to make an appearance in an MCU film (And resulting minifigure). Homecoming would be the most logical.

Also not incredibly stoked for Ghost Rider on AoS.

No problem with the character himself, but if he's going to be a show regular (No idea, haven't paid much attention to any news), I foresee a lot of Robbie Reyes in lieu of actual Ghost Rider to save on surely-expensive CGI, along the lines of Hank Henshaw vs. Martian Manhunter (Supergirl) or Stein/Jax vs. Firestorm. I think we'll actually see Ghost Rider every couple episodes (If he's a regular) rather than every combat sequence.

(Im)patiently waiting for Charlie Cox's Daredevil to make an appearance in an MCU film (And resulting minifigure). Homecoming would be the most logical.

Also not incredibly stoked for Ghost Rider on AoS.

No problem with the character himself, but if he's going to be a show regular (No idea, haven't paid much attention to any news), I foresee a lot of Robbie Reyes in lieu of actual Ghost Rider to save on surely-expensive CGI, along the lines of Hank Henshaw vs. Martian Manhunter (Supergirl) or Stein/Jax vs. Firestorm. I think we'll actually see Ghost Rider every couple episodes (If he's a regular) rather than every combat sequence.

Yes MoAS has a smaller budget than the films on this topic...

When Hive was shown in MoAS he only once or twice was shown with his tentacle Hydra face, in what was probably an effort to save money on CGI production. The rest of the time he was just shown in Grant Ward's body with just the actors face.

Admittedly Lash and Reina were shown more often with their mutant face, but those were more likely make-up applications and not the more expensive CGI. I bet Ghost Rider will need to be mostly CGI... So I understand the concern.

The comic con footage apparently showed zendaya being very rude to Peter Parker.

That's not Mary Jane like

So lets see what they do with her character. I think she'll do good, we'll just have to wait next year to see how she does.

I'm sure they have a reason for her to be rude to Peter. Marvel/Disney know what they are doing.

Oh no spoiler alert!--v

GotG 2 spoiler --v

Ego is going to be in GotG 2! :facepalm:

^-- Spoiler

^It's a spoiler, you guys! (Not really)

Amazed me how many people called this a "spoiler" in the 2017 Lego Marvel thread.

If you define "spoiler" as "something you didn't know about something because you're completely utterly ignorant of the entire subject", then fine.

But we (General public) haven't seen a single scrap of this film, yet it's relatively common knowledge, because James Gunn himself (Director) said if they waited to reveal "him" in the movie premiere itself, they wouldn't be able to advertise the movie at all, because of how large (Haha) his presence is in the movie.

Were these same people upset when it was "spoiled" that Black Panther was going to be in Civil War before we saw a single scrap of footage from it?

Oh, spoilers, Black Panther is in Civil War.

Because there's really no difference. Black Panther was part of the movie's advertising, including trailers and commercials, and from the sounds of it, Ego will have similar presence in GotG 2.

Did they expect to make it to the film premiere without discovering something that was unveiled to thousands of people at SDCC a year prior to the film's release?

Related:

/rant

Edited by Deadshot

Will that be Thor's final look? Or just Arena look?

If it's the final one, well that's not what he had already established, the Dark World look was close to perfect.

Yeah with the discs and stuff, Dark World Thor was great.

You could slap Gerard Butler's face on those ^ shots of Thor, and he would look like Joe Spartan. Pretty generic.

Oh no spoiler alert!--v

GotG 2 spoiler --v

Ego is going to be in GotG 2! :facepalm:

^-- Spoiler

^It's a spoiler, you guys! (Not really)

Amazed me how many people called this a "spoiler" in the 2017 Lego Marvel thread.

If you define "spoiler" as "something you didn't know about something because you're completely utterly ignorant of the entire subject", then fine.

But we (General public) haven't seen a single scrap of this film, yet it's relatively common knowledge, because James Gunn himself (Director) said if they waited to reveal "him" in the movie premiere itself, they wouldn't be able to advertise the movie at all, because of how large (Haha) his presence is in the movie.

Were these same people upset when it was "spoiled" that Black Panther was going to be in Civil War before we saw a single scrap of footage from it?

Oh, spoilers, Black Panther is in Civil War.

Because there's really no difference. Black Panther was part of the movie's advertising, including trailers and commercials, and from the sounds of it, Ego will have similar presence in GotG 2.

Did they expect to make it to the film premiere without discovering something that was unveiled to thousands of people at SDCC a year prior to the film's release?

/rant

Jeez, how about showing a little bit of respect? You sound like a 9th grader. Funnily enough, yes, there are people who actively try and avoid spoilers for movies. I am one of them, depending on the movie. And you go on about commercials and such, that's simple. People don't watch them either. They want to go into the movie knowing as little as possible, so the shocks and surprises hit home every time.

Is it unrealistic in today's world? Arguably. Is it worth it? Heck yeah.

"Arguably"? Please. To say it's unrealistic is a wild understatement. Unless you spend the next year in Amish country and stick your fingers in your ears just to be safe.

I trust when the first trailer drops, you won't watch it.

He's literally in the first trailer.

I know a guy who goes out of his way to avoid watching trailers... I think this whole mentality is really strange. Doctor Strange. No, I mean, if you won't see any promotional material at all... by what measure do you judge whether or not you actually want to see something?!

Could be his arena look, but we don't know yet. I mean, it's based off of this:

http://talkingcomicb...r_02_Edit_3.jpg

Let it be that! I mean the premise of this movie sounds great! Now they can't leave us hanging with a half decent costume? I mean i'm all in for some Brown Belts on Thor, but at least keep the arm armour and the disks!

I know a guy who goes out of his way to avoid watching trailers... I think this whole mentality is really strange. Doctor Strange. No, I mean, if you won't see any promotional material at all... by what measure do you judge whether or not you actually want to see something?!

This.

Although with Marvel movies it's a pretty safe bet it will be enjoyable no matter what.

Reminds me a lot of The Amazing Spider Man 2 video game costume

Herman_Schultz_%28Earth-TRN376%29_001.jpg

Edited by Quicksilver838