______

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Personally I really hope Marvel doesn't get F4 back and neither do I believe Marvel will try to. That franchise is so damaged it's just not worth it. I don't mind Spiderman back in the MCU but my biggest hope is that Marvel doesn't get the rights back to X Men any time soon. Singer is doing the franchise justice and the MCU will be to crowded with them at the moment, after Infinity War or even after phase four is the time to try get something sorted out with Fox. The MCU doesn't need more than what they have already planned for. Don't get me wrong I want to see Deadpool and Spidey side by side as much as the next guy but just not now.

Now, I still don't understand the butchering of the storm family. Johnny is black & Sue isn't even American...what?! It added absolutely nothing to the story. To me, it took something away. That's not the siblings I've read about & seen in the pages for years. While I don't know the motivation for the change, I'd put my money on two letters that make an acronym: PC...

It's 2015, aren't we done whining about the PC boogeyman yet?

Personally I really hope Marvel doesn't get F4 back and neither do I believe Marvel will try to. That franchise is so damaged it's just not worth it. I don't mind Spiderman back in the MCU but my biggest hope is that Marvel doesn't get the rights back to X Men any time soon. Singer is doing the franchise justice and the MCU will be to crowded with them at the moment, after Infinity War or even after phase four is the time to try get something sorted out with Fox. The MCU doesn't need more than what they have already planned for. Don't get me wrong I want to see Deadpool and Spidey side by side as much as the next guy but just not now.

I could give you one reason getting them back should happen. Doctor Doom vs MCU.

Luckily I have more reasons: Silver Surfer, Galactus, Skrulls vs Kree war, Annihilus....sorry but not wishing for the rights to revert is a bit ignorant because their property actually contains a lot of things that could be used for great storytelling in the MCU. I don't think they'd make a fantastic four movie right off the bat and if they did it would actually be good and wouldn't be an origin story.

+1 i agree :thumbup:

I could give you one reason getting them back should happen. Doctor Doom vs MCU.

Luckily I have more reasons: Silver Surfer, Galactus, Skrulls vs Kree war, Annihilus....sorry but not wishing for the rights to revert is a bit ignorant because their property actually contains a lot of things that could be used for great storytelling in the MCU. I don't think they'd make a fantastic four movie right off the bat and if they did it would actually be good and wouldn't be an origin story.

This exactly. I don't want the F4 back for the F4's sake. Honestly, I think those characters would translate better to screen in cartoon format, anyway (like Big Hero 6, or The Incredibles...which itself is kind of like F4).

I want them back so Marvel can use Dr. Doom and all those cosmic villains. The Skrulls alone would give some great stories (Secret Invasion, Kree-Skrull war). Fox can keep the F4 themselves for all I care, just give back everything else.

No I completely agree with you those would all be awesome. I'm just afraid of what they do with the heroes not the villains, Marvel NEEDS the villains.

No I completely agree with you those would all be awesome. I'm just afraid of what they do with the heroes not the villains, Marvel NEEDS the villains.

Exactly. Screw the F4 just give me galactus and the skrull.

It's 2015, aren't we done whining about the PC boogeyman yet?

What other reason do you see for them having a Black Johnny? I hardly doubt iys because they couldn't find a White actor to portray him. It didn't add anything to the story, he isn't Black in the Ultimate comics.

Screenrant has posted a detailed recap of what Civil War footage was shown at D23.

The footage began with a chase scene that saw Captain America, Falcon, and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) attempting to prevent Crossbones (Frank Grillo) from blowing up a truck. During the fight, Crossbones reveals his face and taunts Cap about Bucky Barnes a.k.a. the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan), saying, “You know, he remembered you. Your pal, your buddy, your Bucky.” The footage went on to include an extended version of the Ant-Man post-credits scene, in which Bucky remembers some of his previous life.

Next, General Thunderbolt Ross (William Hurt) tells Captain America the “world owes you an unpayable debt,” but some people see him as a vigilante rather than a hero. The tension between Cap and Tony escalates with the two arguing over what comes next, ending with Tony saying, “Sometimes I want to punch you in your perfect teeth.” Cap is shown delivering his own explanation of being a hero: “In this job, you try to save everybody you can. Sometimes that doesn’t mean everybody.”

Additionally, Black Panther appears using his retractable claws and Black Widow faces off against Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner); she asks, “We’re still friends, right?” Hawkeye responds: “Depends on how hard you hit me.” Lastly, Scott Lang a.k.a. Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) is starstruck by Captain America, saying, “Captain America! This is awesome! Thinks for thanking of me.” Perhaps unsurprisingly, Spider-Man (Tom Holland) did not appear in the Civil War footage.

What other reason do you see for them having a Black Johnny? I hardly doubt iys because they couldn't find a White actor to portray him. It didn't add anything to the story, he isn't Black in the Ultimate comics.

It doesn't take anything away from the story either. He's a fictional character you can cast whom ever you like :sceptic:.

It doesn't take anything away from the story either. He's a fictional character you can cast whom ever you like :sceptic:.

This is true. Personally, I enjoy these movies because I enjoy & love the comics. Seeing my favorite characters brought from the pages to life. Doesn't really work when they aren't recognizable.

Here's the Civil War trailer. It's different than the description above, though. It also shows Iron Spider, which I find odd, and a shot of Red Skull at 1:30, which I find especially odd. Watch it while it's still up!

Some of it looks pretty fake though, like the end clip. At the same time, however, lots of it looks very real... I'm not sure what to make of it. :sceptic: What do you guys think?

Edited by K-Nut

I was thinking that, but then where's some of the dialogue from then? Mainly between Tony and Rhodey.

There was also another site that posted the same video that had it taken down by Disney... :sceptic:

Edited by K-Nut

I was thinking that, but then where's some of the dialogue from then? Mainly between Tony and Rhodey.

There was also another site that posted the same video that had it taken down by Disney... :sceptic:

Yes that's fake, all fake

The funniest thing is reading the beginnings of this thread and seeing how well we estimated some of the sets we would get

I see you love your time at EB!

This is true. Personally, I enjoy these movies because I enjoy & love the comics. Seeing my favorite characters brought from the pages to life. Doesn't really work when they aren't recognizable.

I suppose that could be a problem. I don't read the comics, infidelity to the source material doesn't matter to me as long as the films are good and make internal sense.

The only comic I remember reading properly was 'Aliases' which should make the 'Jessica Jones' show interesting. Still, David Tenant is a race lift from the Purple Man in the comics, he's not purple and don't have an Eastern European accent, it doesn't change my opinion that he was a well cast actor.

I don't think race is a key part to Johnny's character, as long as the actor portrays his personality I don't mind (I haven't seen FF, so idk if he played the character well).

I don't think race is a key part to Johnny's character, as long as the actor portrays his personality I don't mind (I haven't seen FF, so idk if he played the character well).

I think race is a small part of most heroes characters, I'd say nationality is more important in most cases.

I don't think Fox and Trank were being PC at all when they cast Jordan in the role. I think it mainly comes down to two things, trank having worked with Jordan before, and the fact that he's seen as a good up and coming actor. In reality the FF have had so many different retcons, reboots, alternate universes and alternate timeline versions that there is no definitive version of the FF. A race change doesn't have to add anything to a characters story in order to be justified, i mean Nick Fury had a race change so has, Perry White and Harvey Dent the race change didn't add anything, but the actors chosen performed good in the role and thats what adds to the film. Its worth noting that other Characters get Whitewashed and barely anyone complains, Ras Al Ghul, The Mandarin, Bane, Talia al Ghul ect. If those characters were accurate then they would be Middle Eastern, Chinese or Latino, the race change to a western white character doesn't add anything at all. In fact people love Those portrails ( well maybe not Talia or the Mandarin, but the complaints about those characters aren't about race ).

So, I finally got to see Ant-Man. First impression...boy, what a disappointment. :sceptic:

No one was having any fun in this movie, with the exceptions of Falcon and Luis (Michael Peña), both of whom I really want to see more of. The dialogue was stale and repetitive, and its delivery was even worse--the opening scene with Howard Stark and Hank Pym was downright cringe-worthy, and Pym in particular only got worse from there. On an overall scale, the writing was not very good, either--lots of things getting set up and then paid off almost immediately. The most glaring example I noticed was the whole "father-daughter tension" subplot between Hank Pym and his daughter, the resolution of which was so quick and so jarring that it pulled me completely out of the experience. :sceptic:

I was also disappointed by the cinematography--I saw it in 2D, and it's absolutely clear that it was an afterthought compared to ALL of the sequences that were glaringly designed for 3D. I like 3D, a lot, but you have to make a movie that actually looks good in either format. Speaking of things not looking good, this was by far the most glaring product placement I've seen since Microsoft did that humongous Windows Phone push several years back--some of it worked (Thomas the Tank Engine, for example, and the unobtrusive LEGO brick), while most of it just...didn't. (Baskin-Robins, anyone?)

I don't know. I didn't go in expecting a masterpiece, but I at least expected to have fun. This is only the second time I've gone to see a Marvel film and felt like it was a waste of my time and money...the first time being Thor: The Dark World. Maybe everyone else is seeing something I didn't, or maybe there's just a lot of Ant-Man nostalgia; the only thing I can say for sure is that, like I mentioned, I went in wanting to have fun...and didn't. That pretty much says it all, IMO. :sceptic:

I was also disappointed by the cinematography--I saw it in 2D, and it's absolutely clear that it was an afterthought compared to ALL of the sequences that were glaringly designed for 3D. I like 3D, a lot, but you have to make a movie that actually looks good in either format.

That was my only problem with the film, it screamed 3D to me, watching it in 2D was a bit of a let down.

So, I finally got to see Ant-Man. First impression...boy, what a disappointment. :sceptic:

I kinda felt that way during/after my first viewing. Up until the whole Avengers heist, the pacing seemed way off. I agree 100% about the father/daughter conflict between Hank and Hope. Added to the fact that there were plenty of other needlessly silly moments (Baskin Robbins, the tank, the giant ant and Thomas come to mind).

Then again, isn't the whole concept needlessly silly? I mean, it's Ant Man. :laugh: I really don't think he ever deserved his own movie, and I was only really interested at first because Edgar Wright was involved. I think that for a movie about Ant Man, they did the best they could.

I do, however, disagree about the actors. Hope was just stubborn, so she didn't seem very relatable even after she forgave Hank. Cross was really just there and didn't do much (coughMalekithcough). They talked about he was going insane from the suit, but he never actually went into the suit until the end, right? They couldn't shrink him down until then because he'd turn into slime. :sceptic:

I do think Ant Man will turn out for the better, though. It introduces Ant Man and Wasp who will become nice side-players in upcoming Avengers films, and it's nice to see that Marvel can make an isolated film that doesn't have to be connected to every movie before it and set up every movie after it (I'm looking at you, AoU).

Thomas was NOT product placement..they specifically contacted the company who owns him and asked if they could use him in their movie. I thought the movie was good but not perfect. It was fun and I'd like a sequel