Rail Co

Building an Off-Road Vehicle (Never done one before)

Hello, All I have always been interested in building an Off-Road Lego RC Vehicle but never got around to getting the parts. I also really don't know what I am doing at all *huh*. I would like to see what you guys have to say in the categories of:

• Tires/Wheels
  • The Chassis
  • How to squeeze in PowerFunctions for all functions
  • And even if you want some tips/tricks you guys have

Thanks so much,

Rail Co

My best advice is search Brickshelf.com for builders like Nico71, zblj, and others who have built fantastic off-road trucks.

tim

Edited by timslegos

My best advice is search Brickshelf.com for builders like Nico71, zblj, and others who have built fantastic off-road trucks. Learning by research and study is always better than having other people do it for you.

tim

Thank you I have found a few things I like. I just wonder If Balloon tires are better for traction?

Thanks again,

Rail Co

Firstly you need to decide what type of off roading you want to do. Below are some links so you can build a serious off roader, a trial truck.

A helpful website is this: http://www.bricktrucktrial.com/

Also, I often use YouTube for ideas, and zblj has made a helpful set of tutorials regarding everything you are asking about here: http://www.bricktrucktrial.com/spip.php?article203

And yes balloon tyres are better for traction.

Hope this helps and good luck :classic:

@ Rail Co: Using the published Building Instructions, I liked building Sariel's red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Nico71's yellow Trial Jeep. Perhaps you could look at the instructions and incorporate some ideas into your offroader. As previously mentioned, many of ZBLJ's numerous Trial Trucks have Lego Digital Designer (LDD) .lxf Building Instruction files. I've built some of his MOCs (like the red Lynx Trial Truck X pictured below), and they are very capable!

11-e1271792522196.jpgdscf7715.jpg

p1140034.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Thanks to all who have helped today I have been slowly learning (I'm gonna use the suspension on the yellow jeep by Nico71 :sweet: ) and thinking up what model car/truck i'm going to build. I have been looking all over for interesting models to all incorporate into my first model. I hope to get this done by at least the end of next year (I know a longtime). I will keep you up to date and if anyone else has suggestions please don't hesitate to tell me :grin: .

Thanks again,

Rail Co

Good luck. This forum is an invaluable resource and without many of us would be dead in the water with regards to ideas. I usually build two versions of a vehicle and develop the design in leap frog steps. This way I can verify if my newer version is indeed an improvement. I then disassemble the loser of the two models and build the next iteration.