Brick Miner

AQUARAIDER's creatures... brick-built ???

Do you wish the AR creatures were more brick-built ???  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish the AR creaures were more brick-built ???

• yes - they are too close to bionicle or too removed from SYSTEM.
    • no- i like them how they are.
    • definitely no - i wish they incorporated more non-SYSTEM elements.

ok, ok... aside from the two finned creatures, do you wish the AR creatures were more brick built ??? when i look at the lobster, squid, and to some degree, the crab... i get a feeling like they are closer to bionicle than to SYSTEM.

i found this MOC on brickshelf, and it made me really want a more brick-built designed lobster, crab and squid.

zarigani_01t.jpg

this is so nice... it could maybe look a bit more menacing to fit into the AR theme better, but i love how accurate its body structure build is... and look eight legs !!!

the three beasts mentioned above, personally, give me a robotic feeling. i guess, i wish they were more organic.

so for me the answer is number 1 - they are too close to bionicle. especially when compared to the minifigs and vehicles in the theme. i almost get a feeling that they are from two entirely different themes (the creatures vs. everything else). especially the lobster... its almost too "scary" (not scary fun... more like bionicle scary) for minifigs to interact with.

is it just me, or do other fans feel the same... lets discuss !!!

- BrickMiner

i think they are fine for this theme..

i mean if you whant more detail you can always get a creator set..

the only thing i dont like its the shark that has those 3 very big top pieces..

What do you mean?

They're all totally bricks already. I don't see a bionicle ball joint or 'technic connector block' in there at all.

All those arms and legs on the crab/lobster are System click hinges.

Same for those tentacles on the squid, they're originally tail sections from old System dinosaurs(before Bionicle).

So I'm not sure what makes you think they look closer to Bionicle....

This find locks good. I like the head and tail fins better but thats all. The large rectangular shape of the legs and anteana looks as inorganic as a bionicle part. Although the tail segment section is rounded it still has too squarish look to it.

xenologer has a point.

Even if they were bioniclized such as my moc;

Much of the bionicle line does have a specialized yet artificial look, but to say the barraki armor is inorganic...

It seems my lobster has had quite an impact on you, Brick Miner. ;-)

It seems my lobster has had quite an impact on you, Brick Miner. ;-)
it got me thinking... thats for sure ;-)
What do you mean?

They're all totally bricks already. I don't see a bionicle ball joint or 'technic connector block' in there at all.

All those arms and legs on the crab/lobster are System click hinges.

Same for those tentacles on the squid, they're originally tail sections from old System dinosaurs(before Bionicle).

So I'm not sure what makes you think they look closer to Bionicle....

yes, it is true that they are made of system parts... but i definitely get the older audience feeling about these creatures that bionicle also demands.

actually, me and my girlfiend were having a conversation about the crab and lobster i have set up in my room. she doesn't like them, cause they remind her of bionicle too (mind you, she loves my WW, egypt, and pirate stuff ;-) ). it is more of an overall general look the beasts have.

you have to admit, that the heavy use of the cylindrical hinges and dino tails make them look more like an "action figure" than built from LEGO bricks, right ???

- BrickMiner

I think the creatures are fine the way they are. They kick the trash out of those dumb <insert that tiresome argument> Dino Attack ones.

They kick the trash out of those dumb <insert that tiresome argument> Dino Attack ones.
well, since you put it that way !!! ;-)

- BrickMiner

you have to admit, that the heavy use of the cylindrical hinges and dino tails make them look more like an "action figure" than built from LEGO bricks, right ???

- BrickMiner

Maybe yes, but they could have been worst, like dillthepill said. I find them more system than bionicle, contrary to the dragons and other creatures from the vikings theme. So, even if they could have been more organic designed, the lobster, the crab and the squid look pretty good for me. The shark and the fish not so.

So, even if they could have been more organic designed, the lobster, the crab and the squid look pretty good for me. The shark and the fish not so.
hmmm... so this is interesting alex. you have more a problem with the two that i think are fine (in terms of this subject, anyway) !!! :-D

--------------------------------------------------

i wanted to add (and clarify) that part of the problem i have with the lobster, crab, and squid is that they look too "scary". and not scary fun, like i did with ghost town or as seen in the new castle theme (skeleton army). its kinda like the question that was raised about halloween last year.

http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...?showtopic=6590

im not saying that they scare the megabloks out of me... but part of my appeal with LEGO is that it is very kid friendly, and easy to understand and enjoy for all ages. consiquently, i like themes that are timeless, to any generation. bionicle looses that timelessness (and really limits the target audience)... and some of the design choices behind the AR creatures give me the same feeling. this is just a shame, because making sea creatures timeless should be an easy task, right ??? :-D

therefore, it's not only piece selection (as i mistakable mentioned in the starter post) that drives the bionicle feel... its also the approach.

however, as already stated, AR is a step in the right direction from past years themes. and i very much enjoy the 4 sets i have... AR are just so close to what im looking for in NEW LEGOS. with a few mods im there ;-)

it seems there are a couple AFOL here who agree the creatures need a more brick built look... but the majority feel they are fine as is... feel free to discuss !!!

- BrickMiner

sounds to me like you want cartoon:

a Sabastion 01.jpg

or a Mr Crabs

Ok, Maybe that's a an extreme interpretation.

I usaully value more realism in all it's full grotesque beauty, and the scarier the better for me. I also love specialized pieces as long as they can be utilized in multiple ways.

sounds to me like you want cartoon. I usaully value more realism in all it's full grotesque beauty, and the scarier the better for me.
hmmm... i think this maybe a separate issue. i don't like the bionicle-action-toy-ness of the lobster, which also looks very unreal to me. therefore, these seem like separate issues.

i like the lobster in my initial post much better, and he is more real. just give him a little more menacing look, and he is AR ready !!!

cute mini-lobster BTW... you sure love using your minifig hands and arms as building elements, don't you ;-)

- BrickMiner

That sabastion is by CountBlockula he also calls it a crab bot. But yes I do you like the minifig hand\arm usage and the mico size.

The lobster in your first post is more realistic as far as the head thorax and tail. Other than the #, the legs are worse as well as the claws. I'm also not to happy with the plate antanea. Plate usage was the main reason I didn't purchase the 4506 Deep Sea Predators esp. on the squid tentacles. The lobster's brick hinge legs remind me of a older style technic creation (too rectangular)

I suppose they both have favorable and undisrable elements. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the mutated aqua raiders version for all the specialized parts and the smaller size, I also prefer the dark red and black to classic red.

EDIT----I think I understand your opposing viewpoint now! because mine is this- I think it should be as much as an action figure as possible and still use small interchangable parts. perhaps Bionical at 1\4th scale.

That sabastion is by CountBlockula he also calls it a crab bot.
;-)
The lobster in your first post is more realistic as far as the head thorax and tail. Other than the #, the legs are worse as well as the claws. I'm also not to happy with the plate antanea. Plate usage was the main reason I didn't purchase the 4506 Deep Sea Predators esp. on the squid tentacles. The lobster's brick hinge legs remind me of a older style technic creation (too rectangular)
i agree about the techniques... however, all that aside. it doesn't have that action figure feel for me... it looks how proper LEGOs should.
EDIT----I think I understand your opposing viewpoint now! because mine is this- I think it should be as much as an action figure as possible and still use small interchangable parts. perhaps Bionical at 1\4th scale.
ya, sometimes it takes me awhile to get my point finalized... my posts sometimes start as ideas i haven't fully realized myself :-D

I like them how they are. I just wish it was stickers instead of printed parts.
8-

hmmm... so this is interesting alex. you have more a problem with the two that i think are fine (in terms of this subject, anyway) !!! :-D

- BrickMiner

Yes, really interesting...

I find the lobster, the crab and the squid more organic designed, because the lego bricks give them a "touch of realism". I mean, for the crab and lobster, the angular parts give them a more solid feeling, like in real with their exosqueletons. And for the squid, those curve parts give it a more jelly effect, like in real too.

And for the fish and the shark, they don't look smooth enough for me,giving them a too brick-built aspect (that we don't have with the one piece shark and ray, even if they have a real lego feeling, contrary to the new castle dino, but it's another thing...)