Sign in to follow this  
Steinkopf

MOC: Xm 2/2 Unimat Compact

Indexed by Moderator

Hello Everyone

I would like to share my latest addition to the LBB Permanent Way department fleet the Xm 2/2 Tamping Machine. In 1995 the LBB purchased 2 Xm 2/2 Unimat Compact Tamping Machines for use on the LBB network, these small but highly capable machines have a split head design for single sleeper tamping operations on points and plain sections of track. The 2 tamping heads are fitted with 4 tines each and can be operated independently of each other, they are also fitted with a lifting and lining unit as well as lining rollers to ensure that the track is bedded into position perfectly. These machines are the largest, most modern and capable tamping machines used by the LBB, due to the relatively small size of the LBB network as well as the tight curvature of track larger tamping machines such as the Plasser & Thuerer 09 series are either unsuitable or not needed.

This model has been one of my trickiest builds as I have had to intermingle 7 wide and 6 wide construction to get the right look of the frames as well as being able to fit in all of the tamping equipment whilst at the same time keeping it all within the 9 stud loading gauge of the LBB. This machine was inspired by the smaller mainline tamping machines such as the Matisa B 20 C-75 , Plasser and Thuerer 08-16 3S and Unimat Junior units, I also wanted to retain some of the look and style of a tamping machine that I had built 6 years ago and ended up scrapping a couple of years back due to being unhappy with it.

8243728530_54efca5e8b_z.jpg

8242657061_475276f0aa_z.jpg

8242652009_6695f6fb57_z.jpg

8243738352_a245014fb2_z.jpg

8243726960_8376873b0b_z.jpg

8242663129_3645cd80ae_z.jpg

8243734978_4cbe3f4ac1_z.jpg

Edited by TheBrickster

I'd already spotted it on Flickr. It's a really nice model; impressive detail on the tamping mechanism and the overall look just works...

I've been thinking about doing track maintenance for a while but haven't had the time to research.

Err... Captain K, where I come from posting big pictures of your own MOCs in a thread about someone else's MOCs is called topic hijacking. Just mentioning that you've built some tamping machines as well with a link to your picture folder should have been sufficient.

Another beautiful work Steinkopf! :wub:

I like your choice of building so many service vehicles ... now you have one of most beautiful collections of maintenance machinery I've seen around! :wub_drool:

Indeed my next MOC will be inspired by your wonderful work! :tongue:

A real nice model with lots of details.

I like that you kept the train small. This way it fits perfectly with any other LEGO train on the tracks

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Hello,

a very nice and realistic looking MOC!

And the detail on the tamping units are very, very good!

My version of a Plasser & Theurer Tamper is a little bit bigger.

Thank you Captain K, I am very familiar with your work as I have seen them on Brickshelf quite a few years back and I have always admired your models and the detail you put into them, in many ways your work inspired me to start building Permanent Way machines. They are an interesting topic to model and offer some more variety compared to just building normal trains, also they are an essential element that makes it possible for railways to run, unfortunately they tend to be rather neglected when it comes to modelling.

Edited by Steinkopf

Hello,

Thank you Captain K, I am very familiar with your work as I have seen them on Brickshelf quite a few years back and I have always admired your models and the detail you put into them, in many ways your work inspired me to start building Permanent Way machines. They are an interesting topic to model and offer some more variety compared to just building normal trains, also they are an essential element that makes it possible for railways to run, unfortunately they tend to be rather neglected when it comes to modelling.

Many thanks Steinkopf, it pleases me that they like my models.

I am very interested in these machines and I am glad that it's the same as them.

It gives me a lot of fun recreating these machines.

sven

Another piece of work from the genius called 'Steinkopf' :grin:

AWESOME vehicle design......any thing else on the way ?

Brick On 'Steinkopf' ! :grin:

These are all really great models, I am awe struck by the detail and not only in the models, but also by the detailed knowledge some of us seem to have about how real railways are run and operated. I have seen machines like these in depots when passing by on my way to London a few times but other than knowing they are to somehow service the track I have had no idea what they actually did.