BrickieB

75005 Rancor Pit: A first look

Just a series of pictures of the newly released rancor pit.

Basically, I didn't like Jabba's palace and never thought twice about buying it. However, the announcement of this kit, combined with the excellent review by Brickmamba led me to buy both. And now, I'm glad I did! :)

The box. It's a big one, but not quite as big as the one from the palace.

01.JPG

The back of the box. It also says you can add the rancor pit below the palace, but just so there's no misunderstanding: '9516 not included in box'.

02.JPG

The instructions. Just one booklet, but a pretty thick one.

03.JPG

4 bags of parts, making 4 parts of the build...

04.JPG

The minifigs: A guard (same as in the palace), the Racor keeper, Luke with a rather large bone, and Achmed, the dead terrorist. Luke and the Rancor keeper are both two-faced figs.

05.JPG

These guys have a back, too...

06.JPG

And then of course, there is also the Rancor. It's big, I added some normal minifigs for comparison. The mouth can be opened and closed, the arms moved, and 2 of the fingers (per hand) can pivot. The legs /feet/head cannot be moved.

07.JPG

He can easily hold minifig in his hands...

08.JPG

... And one in the mouth too. Luke actually fits in there completely.

09.JPG

Also for size comparison: next to His Jabbaness.

10.JPG

The contents of the kit, basically this is a frame on which to place the palace (note to pyramid shapes on the top. Those are actually slots to align the bottom of the palace with the top of the pit.

11.JPG

Some details: a bucket, a key (2 are included) and a pitchfork. These are conveniently located next to the door.

12.JPG

One of the pillars is a secret hiding place to put a minifig. It opens perfectly and when shut you couldn't tell it's even there.

13.JPG

The gate opens and has a system to keep it open.

14.JPG

Close up of the system: just a few pegs you can push in or out.

15.JPG

The gate also has pins on the bottom to simulate the death of the rancor in the movie. I've just used a minifig to demonstrate.

16.JPG

There's a small (almost 4x4) compartment to store some bones and such. The skeleton head is actually the handle to open it with.

17.JPG

The palace and pit united! This is how the manual says they should be stacked, with the tower disconnected. However, I like to keep it connected (see next pic).

18.JPG

This is how I like the kits: tower connected and gate slightly open to support the weight of the tower.

By the way, when stacked, it is not possible to open the back side of the palace as the pyramids on top of the pit-set keep it closed.

19.JPG

The trap door works like a charm. Feel free to start sacrificing whichever minifig you want.

20.JPG

This is how it sits on my shelf, the combination of the sets is very big, but at a total combined retail price of €220 it'd be a shame if it wasn't.

21.JPG

The partsheet, full res picture via this link.

22.JPG

And one final extra: how to use the brick separator! Hope you enjoyed the pics! Till next time!

23.JPG

Edited by BrickieB

The Rancor is bigger than i thought, but looks as epic as it did on all the other pictures.. :)

The cage is nice, but there is missing something under the tower-construction... The Gate doesn't seem to fill it out correctly. It looks a biz weird. I hope for an other expansion.

Thanks again for these great pictures.. :)

Best regards

$leeper

The Rancor is bigger than i thought, but looks as epic as it did on all the other pictures.. :)

The cage is nice, but there is missing something under the tower-construction... The Gate doesn't seem to fill it out correctly. It looks a biz weird. I hope for an other expansion.

Thanks again for these great pictures.. :)

Best regards

$leeper

Well the gate is actually below the tower; If you were to extend the foot of the tower, it'd be blocking the gate. You could always extend the entire chamber so the gate moves right about 12 studs, that'd be a nice solution.

Thanks for the quick review and the pics! Seems like a nice set with cool minifigs, that's definitely going on my list of possible 2013 purchases. The two stacked sets do look kind of weird in my opinion, though. Sure, it makes for a great playset with new features, but somehow it doesn't look great.

Thank you for this previwe. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The set seems very good but personally I don't think it combines well with the Jabba Palaca :sceptic: ; a MOC in theme could be a good idea :wink: .

Thanks for the pictures! I definitely want that Rancor. The figures look nice. I like the idea to combine playsets. It makes some people feel they get better value for their money and it is a win for TLG to make us buy more sets to combine them. The set does look bigger than expected, so that's a plus. I will probably wait for a sale, but I will definitely pick this up.

Nice photos BrickieB, thanks! :classic:

This looks nicer than the earlier photos, and it will be on my shopping list as soon as there's a 25% discount. I really like the Rancor, Lego could have done a lot worse, he's cute without being too cartoony!

It seems strange that the set hasn't got a solid floor....it doesn't make much sense to me? :sceptic:

Cheers, Robin

Super review. I enjoyed it very much. I have the palace and I was on the edge with the pit but you have convinced me to get it now. Could you take a picture with the gate of the pit at the back of the palace?

cheers :)

Very interesting to see it stacked with the Palace set for the first time. How did you get this so fast? Where in the world are you?

Belgium. I knew I wanted the set and was pleasantly surprised they were available at my local toy store. I know for a fact they weren't there on tuesday, when I took my kids there.

Thank you for the preview BrickieB. This might well be the only big set, battlepacks aside, that I am rooting for once it's released in my region. I really like the rancor. I really like the set, although I thought that the set would be great if it includes a brown base with some brick made stones or mud.

Could you take a picture with the gate of the pit at the back of the palace?

Not entirely sure what you want, but I suppose these'd cover it...

24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

That's looks great combined with 9516! can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for the pictures.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Really good pictures you have got there. :thumbup: They give me an idea of how the Pit actually looks like in comparison to Jabba's Palace. Thanks for your effort.

Cheers. :laugh:

Thanks for the pics. If you don't mind me asking could you please take a picture of Luke's alternative face?

Thank you for all of these pictures! I have to say that that Rancor is really incredible. :wub: It's cool that he can fit an entire minifig in his mouth. I think I want to get the palace now, and the Rancor Pit.

Not entirely sure what you want, but I suppose these'd cover it...

Hi

I was meaning if you turned the pit 90 degrees anticlockwise so the gate is directly underneath the opening back wall of the palace. But thanks for the extra pics anyway :classic: . I'm really loving the set.

Hi

I was meaning if you turned the pit 90 degrees anticlockwise so the gate is directly underneath the opening back wall of the palace. But thanks for the extra pics anyway :classic: . I'm really loving the set.

Ah that won't work: the placement of the pyramids to align the two is not square, so you can have the gate at either the left or the right, but not the front or the rear. At least not without modding it. The gate on the right side would be correct with the movie, if memory serves.

Thanks for the pics. If you don't mind me asking could you please take a picture of Luke's alternative face?

Here you go!

27.jpg

Three words: RANCOR, RANCOR, RANCOR!

...that alone is a must have! I have fond memories of sticking figures into my old Kenner Rancor's mouth and I'm really happy you can do it with this one too! Nice to see how this set combines with the Palace.

Thanks for the pictures!

Looks pretty sweet, even if it basically an add-on.

Out of curiosity, how tall is the throne room/pit when they are connected? (not the tower)

Edited by Fighter of Frizzies