BrickieB

75003 A-Wing: a first look

Apparently I'm one of the first to get this kit, so I'll just post some pics here. I wouldn't call it a review but just enjoy the info/pics.

First off: the box. It's rectangular and has a picture of what's in it, plus an angry looking Yoda (Planet not included).

01.JPG

Backside of the box...

02.JPG

The manual (sorry for the bad pic). Just one booklet.

03.JPG

Even though this is a very small and easy to build kit, they managed to divide it up into 3 bags. I suppose that's got something to do with it being ages 7 and up. It'd be no problem to open all bags at once, though.

04.JPG

3 minifigs: the A-wing pilot, Han Solo, and Admiral Ackbar. This last one was one of the main reasons for wanting this kit. Behold the front of the minifigs:

05.JPG

Their backs:

06.JPG

Their feet:

07.JPG

Here's the A-wing. A pretty straightforward build, but one major disadvantage: stickers!

There's not a single printed part (apart from the figgies) so in total there's no less than 15 stickers to be applied.

There's 4 flick missiles on the sidepods, of 2 different types.

08.JPG

The bottom. The craft stands on the rear wings and one single front stand.

09.JPG

... which folds away nicely, it actually completes the hull when retracted.

10.JPG

The pilot lies down in the cockpit, there's no seat. The control tile is a sticker...

11.JPG

The thing behind the cockpit can be detached - I have no clue what it's supposed to be. But here it is...

12.JPG

Here are the partsheets, as I've noticed they're sometimes requested :)

13.JPG

14.JPG

The full res versions of the partsheets are here and here.

As I said, not much of a review, but I hope you enjoyed the pics. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them below!

Thanks for the post. It looks like the A-wing is almost exactly the same as the one from 7754, Home One; just the removable engine is different.

I like the A-wing pilot, a definite improvement over previous iterations.

Thats a really nice Ship, and a really good convertion to LEGO. I can't wait for the new wave.. :) Thanks for the nice shot's ;)

The Pilot and Han look both awsome.. A really improvement to previous versions...

Thanks for the post. It looks like the A-wing is almost exactly the same as the one from 7754, Home One; just the removable engine is different.

I like the A-wing pilot, a definite improvement over previous iterations.

Doesn't look nearly like the one from 7754 Home One, sorry. ^^

The wings on the sides and the back are different, the back itself is different and the front is different too.. ;)

Best regards

$leeper

Edited by Sleeper

That Han is what I was hoping for in the latest Millennium Falcon. So glad that they finally gave detail to his vest. A long overdue upgrade.

That's a great little set! Thanks for the pics, BrickieB! I like that we get a new helmet mold for the pilot, the old A-wing pilots looked more like generic LEGO SciFi figures. The sheer number of stickers is somewhat disappointing, though. I generally don't apply those and I hope that the fighter won't look too lackluster without them.

Thanks for the preview on this set.

I'm disappointed when I saw the photo of the underside, the model isn't as smooth or sleek as the upper side.

15 stickers to a 177 piece set is a high ratio.

The loss of useful cargo area to the trans-green "engine" part is not good.

Printing on the minifigs are good. Most detailed rebel pilot torso I've seen.

Thanks for this preview :thumbup: :thumbup:

Personally this A-wing is to equal to the A-wing in 7754 Home One; however the new computer is interesting and the new minifigure, in particularly the A-wing pilot, looks great. :wub:

With this set I can recreate the destruction of the Executor in Ep.VI with the Arvel Crynyd's A-wing crushing n the Executor's bridge :grin: :grin:

Personally, I will buy this set when I get a chance. :grin_wub:

Thanks for showing us! I was interested in this set mainly for the figures. I have no intention of building it, but I know it'll be just as cheap to get the figures and the set compared to just the figures.

The build looks really simple, which can be nice. The figures do look amazing though. I wonder how many Hans I really need? The pilot looks spot on to the source material I've seen. And Ackbar will be much needed for my collection.

I don't apply stickers either, but I don't know if I'll use these pieces as anything else anyway.

Hi BrickieB, thanks for providing these photos, really appreciated!! :thumbup:

I'm not normally one for buying sets purely for the minifigures but I might make an exception; Han & the pilot are cracking & I'm really looking forward to getting them. The A-wing is quite nice, as others have said it looks very similar to 7754, but it has far too many stickers for me.

Cheers, Robin :classic:

I really like this new A-Wing, especially since it is one of my favorite OT ships. Plus the pilot is extremely accurate.

I find it odd that Ackbar and Solo are included, but I won't complain because they're welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks guys, you're all very welcome.

As I said, everything is stickered, let me go over it quickly:

1-4: white stripes on the engines

5-8: the details on the 2x4 slopes on the sides

9-10: long stickers on the front red slopes

11-12: details on the white slopes in the front

13: controls in the cockpit

14: sticker on the rear engine part, above the cockpit dome

15-16: stripes on the dome

So that's 16 stickers in total... Sorry for the mistake earlier... :(

I really like Ackbar, one of my favorite characters in the whole SW saga.

Putting the kit together is very easy, I didn't want to waste too many words on it - my 4 yr old kid could do it. It's a snap!

Edited by BrickieB

Love it. I'll be picking up this one for sure. That awesome fighter pilot torso is reason enough to buy multiples.

Thanks for the pictures!

Thanks for warning us about all the stickers. There's no way I'm going to buy this with that amount. Shame as this was one of the only sets I was going to buy this winter. Hope the Headhunter isn't as bad.

They had that one, too... But I'm not too interested in it. Perhaps I'll buy it at some point, seems a long time until the next batch will come out. They also didn't have the planet sets yet - I'll go back next week to check again :)

Thank you BrickieB for the review. It has really helped with my decision whether to get this set. The A-wing looked average, nothing fantastic IMO. Only the A-wing pilot and the newly designed Han Solo interests me. Admiral Ackbar? No harm getting another of that minifigure. Seems to me that the pilot has a new helmet, or is it the helmet from power miners?

Thank you for a very nice run-down of this cool set! A current version of this starfighter is very welcome- however, I wish LEGO didn't feel compelled to include main characters in every set. This would have been perfect with a Star Destroyer bridge to crash into, and a Piett figure instead of Ackbar. Solo should have been saved for a different set as well. I guess it doesn't matter too much as I will buy it anyway!

This is one that I really wanted too. But why so many stickers? Thanks, LEGO that's wonerful. :hmpf_bad: I don't have an A-Wing, though so I will probably get it anyway because it is a good looking model with nice figs.

Lovely set, continuing in the tradition of so many "remakes" this year and last. Personally, I have no problem with the stickers, as I think it's a waste to create printed parts for patterns like this that will only ever be used once. And I think everyone here can agree that in a licensed theme, patterns of some kind typically add to a model's accuracy. At the same time, Star Wars is not among the themes I currently collect, so my opinion on stickers in Star Wars sets in particular probably doesn't count for much.

Hopefully we can expect to see many more classic vehicles remade with this level of quality!

Let's see - some answers for you guys:

The set price was €29,99, I got 15% off.

The helmet looks a little like the Power Miners helmet at first glance, however when you compare them... Well, you be the judge...

16.jpg

And a final pic I realised I had forgotten: the rear.

15.JPG

Edited by BrickieB

Excellent! Ill definitely be picking this up! Not a bad price I guess, specially for the awesomely detailed A-Wing pilot, and imo, still a very decent rendition of the ship itself!

Man, this set was going to be an easy pass for me since I already have Home Base so don't need another A-Wing. But then I see this review and I'm really tempted to buy it now. I think this is now on my "maybe" list or "for sure buy if I can find it on sale" list.