I see that TLG has released at least some of the 1H2013 models already, strange cause usually TRU has them way before S@H does, usually you don't even see them on TRU shelves until mid-Dec, then S@H usually release them on January 1.

The racing cars I'm not really interested in, but I am somewhat interested in the 42004 Backhoe/Loader. Its no 8069 I realize, just kind of a mini-me of that set. Im rather sure nobody has purchased the set yet, I just happened upon it. Only S@H seems to have it right now, I hate shipping, but also hate the crowds in TRU this time of year, but they don't even have it, at least in my area yet, even in their online site as well as the retail stores.

Anyway, what does anybody think of it as model in terms of functionality and looks? The alternate telehandler doesn't look too bad either.

The 42004 Mini Backhoe Loader is a nice small set. According to this TechnicBRICKS article, "Each function or articulation is controlled from its own knob:

• Articulated steering (via HoG in the top of the cabin)
  • Two articulations for the front loader
    • Main arm via exhausting pipe and
    • Shovel via side knob

[*]Four articulations for the back tool

• Sideways movement, rotating the whole back tool in each direction
    • Boom via rear knob
    • Stick via side knob at the end of the boom
    • The bucket uses LEGO hinges connector, thus it moves (rotates) manually"

42004_P1.jpg42004_A1.jpg

The B-Model is a telehandler:

51abaRfxr%2BL._AA300_.jpg

Received a few copies of the new release 42004 Mini Backhoe-Loader yesterday that I ordered Sunday night. Haven't built it yet, FedEx is really behind as was the S@H warehouse so even though I ordered Express since I had so many VIP points to use, even received an e-mail from TLG giving me some more bonus points, but nothing interests me, got everything up until 1H2013 besides the small sets. Looks to be a fun little set to build, especially paired up with, say an 8271 Wheel Loader or 8047 or 8419 Excavator. In the process of doing an MOC low-boy trailer to hook to a fifth wheel on a modified 9397. Its no 8069, but it might sit next to it for smaller jobs that require more precision on my construction diorama.

Edited by TechnicFreak

@Dluders-

I received a few 42004's and even though it is smaller, both the main and alternate models look cool, hopefully they included instruction booklets for the alternate telehandler, just received the package Thurs, 12-7, opened it up last night late. Still waiting on that tracked excavator like machine that has the grappler on it, that's on my list, but I'm guessing it will be their spring release like we have gotten the past few years.

@ TechnicFreak: The 42004's B-Model PDF Building Instructions are found here. :classic: Be sure to post your impressions of that set, because very few people have had a chance to get one!

51abaRfxr%2BL._AA300_.jpg

Thanks DLuders for the link. Most smaller sets, this one has 246 pcs generally come with booklets for both a and b models, I'm too tired to check now, gotta get to bed after my long night shift.

I will indeed post my impressions, I bought 3 of them. 1 to build main model, 1 for the telehandler, and 1 for later re-sale on BL or Amazon.

Eric

Below is

of a two-part YouTube video review of the Lego Technic 42004 Mini Backhoe set by YourCreativeFriends:

Well crap, I wanted to post my first review on EB, guess somebody beat me to it... :cry_sad: ...it is a nice set for its size and though I haven't completed it yet, I'm close...then on to the telehandler version, though I can't figure out why Lego doesn't release a telehandler with a forkset instead of always a bucket...real telehandlers have many attachments, but most use forksets...well excluding the huge 8295, but that set IMO was kind of subpar...

Below is

of a two-part YouTube video review of the Lego Technic 42004 Mini Backhoe set by YourCreativeFriends. It shows the B-Model Telehandler variant: