Captain Roger

Fake LEGO pirates : general discussion

Disgustingly bad sets :pir-sick: But very good review. It's a review of a competitive brand, but you show how much better Lego is. That's a good thing :pir-classic:

I do like the silver sword and the brown musket though. But outside of that there's nothing good to say of this.

The "King of the sea" is really not that bad as far as design, other then the sails. I wouldn't mind if Lego would make one. However, I find this thread very unsettling. It is very bad to have such nearly identical knock-offs of real Lego products, especially based on rare and classic sets. Now, it makes me even more paranoid when I shop places like ebay or bricklink. will it be the "real" parts and sets, or fake parts? :pirate_sad2:

I agree, but they're not to hard to spot. Even in crappy photographs you can usually see some tell tale differences... even so...

There appears to be more than one "Chrome" cutlass floating around, impersonating LEGO products...

This one even has a pic...

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Dutchstyle&itemID=17024024

$127!!!!!!! Are they serious!?!?!

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Legosteen&itemID=15416239

Thanks a lot for your comment Admiral croissant, I'm glad you liked my reviews. :pir-classic:

The "King of the sea" is really not that bad as far as design, other then the sails

The sails are a really important part of the design of the ship...if the sails would be the only awful thing in that ship, it would be a reason to say is an awful ship. But is not the only reason: the jolly roger is awful too. and that blue ornaments are not very esthetic.

I find this thread very unsettling. It is very bad to have such nearly identical knock-offs of real Lego products, especially based on rare and classic sets. Now, it makes me even more paranoid when I shop places like ebay or bricklink. will it be the "real" parts and sets, or fake parts?

It's easy to difference a fake or a real LEGO product when we are talking about entire sets, or about minifigs(chinese minifigs are terrible). If you buy only a small piece, isn't as easy, but you can notice in some photos about plastic quality is worse. When you see brilliant swords or guns, be sure they are fake.

Actually this design is ok,and at least is wasn't "bootlegged"

Eh...The design of that ship is terrible, with that so childish sails and flag. Minifigs are awful too. I think if it would be a "bootlegged" set it would look better. You can notice about Royal warship is a copy of Armada flagship and looks really nice, with some improvements to the original Lego set.

Both Enlighten sets "adventure" and "black pearl" are a copy of Black Seas Barracuda and both look better than that "King of the seas"

Eh...The design of that ship is terrible, with that so childish sails and flag. Minifigs are awful too. I think if it would be a "bootlegged" set it would look better. You can notice about Royal warship is a copy of Armada flagship and looks really nice, with some improvements to the original Lego set.

Both Enlighten sets "adventure" and "black pearl" are a copy of Black Seas Barracuda and both look better than that "King of the seas"

Sorry I meant to say "I think" the design isn't too bad,without the sails or jolly roger I think the idea had some potential.

Actually it's great having all these awful fake sets and discussion in one neat thread; and it's great it's still updated! :thumbup:

The new clone ship looks far worse than the BSB copy for sure. :pir-sick:

The Armada figures are ugly too. However the increased amount of minifigures and cheap prices certainly make these sets tempting to some; and I really hope they would be better since a good competition would have a nice influence on TLG and their prices which are insane on some recent Star Wars and licensed sets!

The picture with the helicopter is so out of place it's unintentionally funny... I don't know what these guys have been drinkin' or smokin', but I want some of that stuff! :pir-classic:

The King Of The Seas (main model) actually isn't that bad though, granted the flags and sails are ugly, but to be honest, I don't like the 2009 version of LEGO Jolly Roger flags and Brickbeard's Bounty's sails either.

Of course real LEGO is much better, but the ship's design isn't bad and if it were a MOC made using LEGO pieces, I'd like actually like it.

Edited by Dreamweb

Actually it's great having all these awful fake sets and discussion in one neat thread; and it's great it's still updated! :thumbup:

Thanks mate! :pir-classic:

I see everyone says "The king of the seas is not as bad, only the sails and flags are ugly". For me, the fact that sails and flags are so ugly is a reason to say is an awful set.

sorry if I'm a bit out of date, but Englighten bricks they were closed down right?

According with Wikipedia:

Also in 2003, a large shipment of LEGO-like products marketed under the name "Enlighten" was seized by Finland customs authorities. The packaging of the Enlighten products was similar to official LEGO packaging. Their Chinese manufacturer failed to appear in court, and thus LEGO won a default action ordering the destruction of the shipment. Lego Group footed the bill for the disposal of the 54,000 sets, citing a desire to avoid brand confusion and protect consumers from potentially inferior products.

Intresting reading Captain Roger. I really dont like those Enlighten sets, otherly that those chrome swords and pistols. I

wish i would have one...But of course im glad at Enlighten series were pulled down, but i afraid at Enlighten sets or similiar to

LEGO products will be back at some day. Or is there any cheap copies of LEGO anymore?

Captain Becker

The King Of The Seas has a very cool colourscheme. Granted, the sails are bad and the minifigs even worse... but the rest is pretty good.

Thanks a lot Captain becker. I am glad you like my reviews :pir-classic:

About if there are more companies that try or tried to copy LEGO, there are several companies. In the link that Bricktrain has posted, you can see more of them.

But i'm going to review only Enlighten sets until once i have finished to review all(except Black pearl. I won't review this sets because paanjang16 did it before.

Ah, i think Enlighten is the best of the companies that have tried to copy Lego. Reasons:

Even most of its products are poor, they are the company that has better copied Lego. Enlighten bricks and minifigs are 100% compatible with Original lego bricks and sets, and, we must admit it, their sets have some interesting accesories.

Today i'm going to review Enlighten Rob Barrack:

ENLIGHTEN_310.jpg

Good points: new accesories, like the pirate captain hat with those gold ornaments and crossed blades instead bones. Admiral hat is really cool too(I love both hats). We can see a lock in the jail, some shells in the floor, and 2 shields with the Imperial Armada logo with inverted colors.

You can see better the hats in the back of the box:

310-02.jpg

Bad points:

Most of the minifigs are terrible:

Sinttulo-1.jpg

I specially hate the 6th guy of that scan :pir-sick: . About soldiers, we can see one with a 18-19th century british hat, and other with a 16th spanish helmet.

The boat has a harpoon that shoot darts(that darts are copied of Lego Aquazone theme). I find this anachronic:

Sinttulo-2.jpg

310-11.jpg

That set hasn't an entire building...if we look the back of the barrack we will see this:

310-08.jpg

So we haven't a real fortress, we have only the front door.

And finally, i'll comment a curious point. I'm not sure if is a good or bad point, but is a fact: the prison works in a way you introduce TNT in a slot and then one of the jail's walls is shooted with a piece with a mainspring:

310-09.jpg

310-10.jpg

That is not an original idea of Enlighten. The Western Lego Set Sheriff's Lock up, released in 1996, included a jail with the same trick.

Hope you liked my review. Greetings mates

Edited by Captain Roger

Nice review again, the pirate captains hat looks good, and that small arches at the front, and that working harpoon :pir-wub: . But otherly this set is :pir-sick: Just look at those faces, the 6th guy made me laugh, the face is so ridiculous looking. Great job whit this review.

Captain Becker

Nice reviews - It's interesting to see these sets, but oh dear god they make me cringe... It is just so obvious that the quality is extremely poor and the printing on the minifigs and bricks leaves me with nightmares....

I would never ever consider buying any of these Enlighten sets, ever... I'd MUCH rather pay overprice for LEGO's quality toys

Thanks for your replies.

Well Lordofdragons...you said something about show minifigs...you can see that fake minifigs in this thread. In each set i review i talk about the minifigs. I usually say they are awful, but i like some accesories like hats. In the "Black Pearl"(a fake BSB) review that paanjang16 did, he shown us photos of the minifigs too.

If you want more and/or better photos to see the minifigs better, sorry, but i don't have any of them, so i can't take better photos...all photos i use in my reviews are taken from the net.

Thanks for the review 'Captain Roger', the design I like :pir-wink: , the figures are WTF ?...I must say :pir-sick: - man, does this design need a Lego makeover....NO be that a total rebuild with the real deal figures ! :pir-grin:

And what's with the arrow's in the row boat....I guess better than a heavy cannon that would sink the little boat ! :pir-laugh:

Oh, dear at least we get POTC soon eh ? :pir-wink:

Brick On ! :pir-grin:

To be honest, the front of that fortress doesnt look to bad, but when you see the back it really shows how awful these sets are. The back is just an ugly mess. Nice to see what other sets there are.

Man, Enlighten's products are :pir-sick:

Even though the ships (and even the fortress) aren't really that bad, the bricks' quality/color is obviously quite inferior to that of LEGO bricks.

Yeah, Brickhead, both are copies of Lego Black Seas barracuda.

But i find "Adventure" (the BSB copy with black and white sails) has a really interesting minifig: a fake Ironhook

ent307_6.jpg

Look at his face...his face seems to be like a real lego fig, even other Enlighten faces are a bad copy of the original face they try to emulate(for example the face of the guy with brown bandana who seems to be the helmsman). I think that fake Ironhook is cool.

Edited by Captain Roger