Captain Roger

Fake LEGO pirates : general discussion

Chinese ship with european pirates: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pirate-Caribbean-Ship-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Good points:

pirate_f_800.jpg

Cool captain...brilliant weapons

Bad points: awful ship...european pirates don't work with a chinese ship

Well, if you see more fake pirates, post them here :)

I actually bought this set today! and I got to say I was pretty impressed :thumbup:

it was on;y $9 Aus as well!!!

I actually bought this set today! and I got to say I was pretty impressed :thumbup:

it was on;y $9 Aus as well!!!

I brought the Fake Black Seas Barracuda, It was brilliant, I replaced the figures with proper pirate ones when I got it so it was much better, Shame I dropped it, it fell apart, Never got round to building it again...I still got the Instructions though, awesome little comic inside. This is a brilliant set for Pirate enthusiasts who are on a Budget or just wont pay the full, outrageous price for a small pirate ship.

I REALLY like the weapons that are included!

Sadly, I do doubt as well the quality would be high...

I REALLY like the weapons that are included!

Sadly, I do doubt as well the quality would be high...

Oh but it is. Granted the Chrome paint may scrap off quick, The weapons and bricks are actually as long lasting as lego, shame about the figures...But the tricornes are exactly like the lego ones, I dont actually have 1 Lego Tricorne but I use the clone ones.

I too bought the fake Black Sea Barracuda aka The Black Pearl. From looking at the instructions of the BSB online, I would say it is 85% similar to the BSB as there are some parts which were modified by the clone lego company.

The box of the pirate ship.

30052009994.jpg

The instruction manual has a little comic

30052009998.jpg

30052009999.jpg

The box contents with multiple plastic bags of parts + 1 stern section + 1 bow section + 3 intermediate section + sail. I finally understood why TLG used numbered bags, building something with 800+ parts of almost similar color is VERY time consuming

300520091003.jpg

Some random instruction page.Some of the instructions are almost direct copy of the BSB.

300520091001.jpg

The crew is not the same as the crew of the BSB, with the captain in his younger days still with his right leg and right hand. Also some of the pirates have original shirt designs. The back of the minifigs are not printed.

300520091000.jpg

The finished ship in all its glory. I would say it was a challenging build, with the stern being a little complicated and have to reconstruct a few times. If there is something missing, I would say there is no plank to throw your hostage to the sharks! :imperialguard_commander1:

P1000430.jpg

The crew and some of the accessories you will get.

P1000445.jpg

Among the contents are:-

4 cannons

4 Wild west rifles (a little high tech for these guys right?) Usually during this era they will use only Muskets :pir_laugh2:

Chrome pistols

Monkey

Parrot

and other stuff

Now for some comparison:-

Weapons; The original Lego pistol, sword and musket has a "Lego" words on it and not chromed. But if you do not know what to look for the copy looks similar to the real thing

P1000451.jpg

Monkey; Both the monkeys are almost similar and checking which one is the real one was initially difficult cause there is no "Lego" words anywhere on the monkey! But being original, Lego wrote their trademark INSIDE the monkey! Real geniuses :pir-skull: Oh, in the first picture the real one is on the right.

P1000454.jpg

P1000455.jpg

A snippet of my review on my Lowyat forum site

Part 1 is here Post number 1458

Part 2 is here Post number 1471

Part 3 is here Post number 1475

I would say that it is worth getting with you are aware that it is a KO and not going to give it to anyone (well, who gives fake Lego as presents?). Really wanted a BSB, but could never afford or obtain one :pir-cry_sad: Also compared to Brickbread's Bounty, this ship is bigger! the new ship only have 2 intermediate sections, BSB got 3!

I too bought the fake Black Sea Barracuda aka The Black Pearl. From looking at the instructions of the BSB online, I would say it is 85% similar to the BSB as there are some parts which were modified by the clone lego company.

It was a amazing set since I hadnt ever owned a Lego Pirate set. Only problem was the sort of luminescent yellow bricks. But the rest of the ship was fantastic!

Edited by Joey Lock

I was gonna get all preachy and say i hated fakes but this doesn't look half bad.

I suppose the bricks aren't as good quality. It all depends on the price i suppose.

At that price its worth a look.

:pir-sceptic: the cannons of this fake BSB are really awful, but the swords :pir-wub: Lego should make silver pirate swords as well, that would be a very nice thing to have.

I'm just gonna say it, because I didn't see anyone pointing this out - this is quite blatant theft of IP. I'd be OK with that if there wasn't a new Pirate line, after all LEGO have made their profit from the Black Seas Barracudas. But if someone doesn't buy one of the new sets because of the fake ones, it directly harms LEGO. Now - do you really want that?

I'm just gonna say it, because I didn't see anyone pointing this out - this is quite blatant theft of IP. I'd be OK with that if there wasn't a new Pirate line, after all LEGO have made their profit from the Black Seas Barracudas. But if someone doesn't buy one of the new sets because of the fake ones, it directly harms LEGO. Now - do you really want that?

Yes.

Lego deserve to take a big blow so they realise not everyone can afford overblown prices. I meen Lego

£51 for a 2 hull based, 3 cannoned, badly designed ship! You now see why people pay £25 for:

30052009994.jpg

Compared to:

6243-1.jpg

Yes.

Lego deserve to take a big blow so they realise not everyone can afford overblown prices. I meen Lego

£51 for a 2 hull based, 3 cannoned, badly designed ship! You now see why people pay £25 for:

30052009994.jpg

Compared to:

6243-1.jpg

Wow, 51 pounds for Brickbeard's bounty? and 25 for this ship?

Over here in Malaysia the Brickbeard's Bounty ship costs RM 499.00 at TRU (with no off-season discount, no TRU card discount, no discount EVER!!), which translates to a whooping 87 pounds according to xe.com where 1 pound = RM 5.77. In fact the most overprice of all is the Clone war Republic Gunship costing a heart-stopping RM 799.00 (138 pounds) at TRU with no discount unless the jedis really exists. Compared to Singapore the same thing costs only Sing 199.00 (83 pounds). The irony is that Singapore is just across the causeway from Johor Bahru!!! The KO BSB I got it for RM 180, which is less than half the price of the new ship.

Brick by brick BSB is better than the new ship like the cannon deck, the storage hatches near the cannons, the castle, the number of cannons, the size of this ship, even the rigging used to hold the sails is a combination of several pieces instead of the technic joints we see in the new ship.

But I do agree with one thing, this KO ship CANNOT and WILL NEVER beat the real thing. Some of the pieces are soft, the yellow is different than regular Lego, the sail has a weird skull design etc. But to me getting the replica of it will do.

That is why I am hoping Lego will come up with a 3 mid-section, 2 deck, 4 cannons, 2 mast ship that mimics the BSB instead of making a little frigate which is Brickbeard's Bounty. Will we finally see an imperial warship? :pir-skull:

Wow, 51 pounds for Brickbeard's bounty? and 25 for this ship?

Over here in Malaysia the Brickbeard's Bounty ship costs RM 499.00 at TRU (with no off-season discount, no TRU card discount, no discount EVER!!), which translates to a whooping 87 pounds according to xe.com where 1 pound = RM 5.77. In fact the most overprice of all is the Clone war Republic Gunship costing a heart-stopping RM 799.00 (138 pounds) at TRU with no discount unless the jedis really exists. Compared to Singapore the same thing costs only Sing 199.00 (83 pounds). The irony is that Singapore is just across the causeway from Johor Bahru!!! The KO BSB I got it for RM 180, which is less than half the price of the new ship.

Brick by brick BSB is better than the new ship like the cannon deck, the storage hatches near the cannons, the castle, the number of cannons, the size of this ship, even the rigging used to hold the sails is a combination of several pieces instead of the technic joints we see in the new ship.

But I do agree with one thing, this KO ship CANNOT and WILL NEVER beat the real thing. Some of the pieces are soft, the yellow is different than regular Lego, the sail has a weird skull design etc. But to me getting the replica of it will do.

That is why I am hoping Lego will come up with a 3 mid-section, 2 deck, 4 cannons, 2 mast ship that mimics the BSB instead of making a little frigate which is Brickbeard's Bounty. Will we finally see an imperial warship? :pir-skull:

Mabye even a really cheap 2 decked, 40 gunned ship! I would make that if I were a employee of Lego.

I usually don't like knockoffs but that pirate hat is brilliant. Other than that though it's not to impressive except in the price. I wonder how much it costs for TLC to produce Brickbeards Bounty today with only the price of the model? In other words I wonder how much they make on each ship. If they could lower the price to be comparable to this ship they would get alot more buisness.

It was a amazing set since I hadnt ever owned a Lego Pirate set. Only problem was the sort of luminescent yellow bricks. But the rest of the ship was fantastic!

This big ship isn't that bad, but compared to the real thing it makes me :pir-sick:

This big ship isn't that bad, but compared to the real thing it makes me :pir-sick:

No offence but the pictures taken dont do it justice. It looks exactly like it looks on the Box.

No offence but the pictures taken dont do it justice. It looks exactly like it looks on the Box.

No offence taken, I have seen the Black Pearl before and I really like it, I was just being dramatic when I said it makes me sick.

I just saw on Bricklink selling a chrome cutlass for 50.00. Do you think he got it from this? If so, shame on him.

I just saw on Bricklink selling a chrome cutlass for 50.00. Do you think he got it from this? If so, shame on him.

Gimme the link please, I want to see that.

Most proberbly. Or he got some chrome spray, Or its a scam.

Gimme the link please, I want to see that.

Go to Bricklink, and type in cutlass in catalog items. I can't link it right now.

What exactly are neck nails?

Nothing dirty i hope...

They are probably the extra plastic on the side of the neck that you can usually find on a clone brand figure. (It's kinda hard to explain) It goes up above the neck, on the side, and it kinda looks like a nail.

Sorry for being so late, but...cool review of that fake BSB paanjang16!

Even being a copy, it has really cool things like the comic, and some accesories: the captain has a hat with crossed blades instead crossed bones, and upper edges of the hat yellow. One of the pirates has a blue tricorn...and the pirate with blue tricorn has a new torso. I like the improved mast too, with a place for the ship's look-out.

Ah, the guy with the moustache has a new torso too

Edited by Captain Roger
Please don't quote the whole post with pictures. Thanks!

Thanks to the Thread "Fake BSB" i decided to continue with my fake Lego pirates reviews. Today: Enlighten King of the seas:

311-01.jpg

Well, as you can see in the box, is an awful ship with awful minifigs :pir-sick: The design of the sails and Jolly roger is terrible. I specially hate the face of the guy with blue tricorn. we can see is a modern set because one of the pirates has a face of the 2009 pirates(the guy with brown bandana)

In any case there are cool accesories, but we saw them in other fake sets(brown bandana, new torsos, blue tricorn, captain's hat, etc)

ah...look the back of the box...what an anachronism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pir-sick:

311-02.jpg

Another set: Enlighten Royal warship

corsair_h_800.jpg

Obviously is a copy of Armada Flagship:

6280-1.jpg

I must admit the chinese guys have improved the original set this time:

Original ship has only one cannon, while fake ship has one cannon more in the stern(it may have 2 cannons in the stern, one in larboard and other in starboard, but i can't see that detail in the photos. The original is bigger and has a more detailed stern with that green doors.

But minifigs are terrible, the originals spaniards are much better:

10mini3.jpg

here the fake spaniards:

corsair_d_800.jpg

Obviously they are minifigs with imperial guard torso and spaniard helmet...ah, and the guy who seems to be in charge in that ship is a bad copy of Woodhouse, as you cansee here:

corsair_c_800.jpg

That's all for today...i'll try to make more reviews and share with us mates.

Edited by Captain Roger