Daedalus304

MOC: 2-6-6-2 Baldwin

Indexed by Moderator

img_0900s.png

Well, today's post has been a long time coming. I started the design work way back in February, and it's been a lot of revision and waiting for parts and money since then. I wanted to post this back in May I think, and I'm sure glad I waited.

img_0907s.png

I saw this engine first on a trip up to Flagstaff, AZ at the Pioneer Museum and I fell in love. I will post only a few pictures of it here, I went sort of on a photo spree today trying to make sure I captured adequate photos of all the detailing. The only non-lego parts are the BBB Medium drivers, and the only modified parts are the 2.5 stud flex cables for the drive rods. The rest of the engine is all LEGO. :sweet:

A picture of the prototype (Courtesy of AirandSpace.com, found by google search!):

BL2_4393%20Southwest%20Lumber%20Mills%20Mallet%2012%202-6-6-2%20Steam%20Locomotive%20right%20front%20l.jpg

img_0890.jpgimg_0889.jpg

img_0913.jpg

img_0891.jpg

img_0896.jpg

It can negotiate all the curves I've put it through with only a bit of slowdown. The best picture of it turning is here: http://www.brickshel...ve/img_0898.jpg, but it is too large to post on EB.

img_0922.jpg

It was tricky with the tender to get all the right shapes and gaps, and although it's a tad too tall I am very pleased with how it turned out.

img_0925.jpg

I run the tender hard-linked with the engine, and the clearance is perfect. The cab floor extends just over the front platform of the tender without ever swinging into it!

img_0885.jpg

I have to give a lot of thanks to Toastie for the help and advice on creating the custom-length flex rods, I can't explain how difficult it was to try and trim those things just right! :wacko:

img_0903s.png

You can check out the whole gallery. when moderated, here: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=517797

Getting this engine to run reliably has been a real challenge, in large part thanks to the number of wheels and the fact that the center driver of each set is offset a stud. This made the Flex System my only workable option (Before Zephyr's rods, which are on their way! :grin: ). The tender is a little bit too large, but it was an exaggeration well worth it to me since I can fit a battery box and IR receiver in it; and I can change out the bogies on the tender and the trailing truck on the engine itself and motorise it. It doesnt look as nice, so I prefer unpowered. It's been a real love-hate relationship with it as I've worked the last several months, but I finally have found myself happy enough to share with you. :)

I don't really know what more to say about it, if anyone has questions or wants more detail photos please feel free to ask! Oh, and please do check out that gallery when moderated! There are many more photos there to see, including larger versions of this topic's top photo and a few others. I sincerely hope you enjoy looking at my engine!

Edited by Daedalus304

Beautiful work Daedalus304! I love the white accents, especially on the wheels and the drive mechanism looks very detailed and intricate. Very well done! :classic:

That is amazing! maybe you could try and go for a Triplex next! :laugh:

I wish you could special order wheels from BBB with the trim :)

A triplex?! *huh* It's possible that someday I will, especially if I find one in one of my engine hunts as I travel, but for the moment the thought of that many wheelsets is a little daunting! I too wish you could get white-rim wheels from BBB, especially as I'm finding that most of the Baldwin locomotives I've been finding have white accented wheels. I wouldn't normally go the painting route, but this engine felt like it needed it; and since the wheels are custom parts anyways I decided I may as well! I can't take the credit for the painting though - my mother-in-law did it for me! :laugh: I actually have also customized those BBB medium drivers in one other fashion, in an attempt to help get those drive rods to work better. But that mod.... is a secret. :tongue:

Beautiful work Daedalus304! I love the white accents, especially on the wheels and the drive mechanism looks very detailed and intricate. Very well done! :classic:

Thank you very much! The white added so much to the character of the prototype that I simply had to include it!

That is a fantastic build with lots of great detail. She looks great in the curves too.

Thank you! I think unfortunately I managed to avoid posting most of the shots of the undercarriage work - which is a shame given how much time I spent down there. Getting it to work in the curves was honestly 2 parts hard work to 3 parts good luck, as after I got the articulation worked out a lot of other things just fell into place without any fiddling. The fact that the walkway on the front of the boiler clears those swinging steps in front was a delightful surprise!

That's just too cool. I love little mallets and you did a wonderful job on this one.

Thank you! I did a lot of research on mallet engines upon starting my project, they are really nifty engines. I'm glad you like it.

Edited by Daedalus304

A triplex?! *huh* It's possible that someday I will, especially if I find one in one of my engine hunts as I travel, but for the moment the thought of that many wheelsets is a little daunting! I too wish you could get white-rim wheels from BBB, especially as I'm finding that most of the Baldwin locomotives I've been finding have white accented wheels. I wouldn't normally go the painting route, but this engine felt like it needed it; and since the wheels are custom parts anyways I decided I may as well! I can't take the credit for the painting though - my mother-in-law did it for me! :laugh: I actually have also customized those BBB medium drivers in one other fashion, in an attempt to help get those drive rods to work better. But that mod.... is a secret. :tongue:

There is an even more duanting locomotive the UP Garret Boy and UP Bigger Boy both are Hexaplex and they Scream!!! larger turn radius.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/hex/hex.htm

Hello everyone! Brickshelf still hasn't moderated the photos - but I created a Flickr and they can all be found there. Or, more precisely, here:

As well, I've updated the first post with a few more of the pictures from the gallery and I also put in a picture of the prototype. The lighting on some of my pics is a little lackluster so I may try again soon.

There is an even more duanting locomotive the UP Garret Boy and UP Bigger Boy both are Hexaplex and they Scream!!! larger turn radius.

http://www.douglas-s...OCO/hex/hex.htm

Oh my god! That "Bigger Boy" seems like it would be a veritable nightmare - between all the wheelsets, rods, articulations, not to mention how to motorise it... I'll leave that for the more ambitious experts. :laugh:

EDIT: It seems to have inserted a picture window, anyone know how to make that just a link?

Edited by Daedalus304

This is quite a nice locomotive and a very good model that you have built. It does reflect the original very well. A pity it is not powered, but then as you say that can always be done later if you wish to do so.

Does the original one that you based it on run at all or is it a stationary exhibit?

This is quite a nice locomotive and a very good model that you have built. It does reflect the original very well. A pity it is not powered, but then as you say that can always be done later if you wish to do so.

Does the original one that you based it on run at all or is it a stationary exhibit?

Thank you!! I still consider myself as being going through a learning experience as far as train building goes - and this engine taught me a lot. Powering my engines has been a rough spot so far, but this one preforms alright when powered. (Though I would rather not have to mod the tender to change it back and forth).

The real one is currently a stationary exhibit, although from my understanding a few years ago both it and another engine up in Flagstaff used to run and give rides. Until, apparently, someone fell off or got hurt and they were doomed to be scrapped until a gentleman bought and donated the pair of them. Or so the curator told me!!

Thank you!! I still consider myself as being going through a learning experience as far as train building goes - and this engine taught me a lot. Powering my engines has been a rough spot so far, but this one preforms alright when powered. (Though I would rather not have to mod the tender to change it back and forth).

You could build a second tender that is powered. Or perhaps simply build a power unit that runs right behind the tender, disguised as a boxcar or baggage car. Even better, make the shell of the powered car easily removable so that you can then put it behind a locomotive of a different era with one quick swap.

Oh, and here's more info on the prototype.

WOW this is an unbelievable masterpiece! :wub_drool:

When I saw the first picture I haven't realized that was LEGO! *oh2*

The wheels with the white circle are amazing and the movement looks fantastic too! :wub:

Superb work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

What a beautiful MOC that so perfectly crosses the line between MOC and model. A distinctively unusual prototype too with the placement of the steam and sand domes. Seeing your loco Daedalus has given me a good inspiring push in the direction of getting back to work on my own locomotives again. I've had another patch of not being very well over the past week and I've done nothing at all with any of my MOCs despite my latest Bricklink orders having just arrived.

There is a small ALCO built Mallet preserved here in New Zealand that worked in the timber industry. It's the only Mallet to have worked in New Zealand.

nzrd055.jpg

This is a wonderful MOC. I had to look closely at the pics. At first I thought the first three images show the prototype and not the LEGO model.

Well, I think I've decided the white trim on the wheels was a good choice! :laugh: My next loco (Also a black-with-white-trim baldwin steamer) also has white rims - I guess I'm going to get the BBB drivers for that one too. I won't put an ounce of paint on any actual LEGO parts, but with custom parts I don't have the same reserve!

You could build a second tender that is powered. Or perhaps simply build a power unit that runs right behind the tender, disguised as a boxcar or baggage car. Even better, make the shell of the powered car easily removable so that you can then put it behind a locomotive of a different era with one quick swap.

Oh, and here's more info on the prototype.

I actually have a powered baggage coach built to fit the design of the Emerald Night coaches, which I used to run my engines at the Phoenix Comicon. I have considered trying it out with this engine, although I have been wary since I'm not sure how well it would work with all the articulated wheelsets it'd be pushing. Worth giving it a shot though!

Thanks for that link, too. I had no idea that #12 (Or should I say 6?) had been through so much - and I would never have guessed it used to be a tank engine! I may just have to build a tank engine version of it now! Perhaps that would be able to fit a motor in the engine?

WOW this is an unbelievable masterpiece! :wub_drool:

When I saw the first picture I haven't realized that was LEGO! *oh2*

The wheels with the white circle are amazing and the movement looks fantastic too! :wub:

Superb work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you! I have to say it makes me a bit proud to hear that from you as I always have the same reaction to your trains - and your wonderful BR steamers have been very inspiring to me. Your most recent engine has pushed me to set the bar really high on my next engine - especially in the functionality department. You will probably end up seeing a familiar M-Motor arrangement, though...

What a beautiful MOC that so perfectly crosses the line between MOC and model. A distinctively unusual prototype too with the placement of the steam and sand domes. Seeing your loco Daedalus has given me a good inspiring push in the direction of getting back to work on my own locomotives again. I've had another patch of not being very well over the past week and I've done nothing at all with any of my MOCs despite my latest Bricklink orders having just arrived.

There is a small ALCO built Mallet preserved here in New Zealand that worked in the timber industry. It's the only Mallet to have worked in New Zealand.

I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell! It will be nice to see how your locos are coming along when you get around to it, and I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed seeing mine. That little Alco Mallet is really neat looking, kinda feels tiny from the picture. It may be fun to try and build one!

I love this train, as said before this really blurs the lines between moc and model. All of the detail work on the driving gear is what is amazing to me. Great job on this, by the way this is one of my favorite lego trains, great job!