Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Database Issue

Some things didn't go as expected today...

The popularity of a certain review was slowing EB down, and while restarting the server (to take into account a few new settings) part of the database got corrupted. After several recovery attempts it was clear the corruption was in too many tables and I decided to fallback to the latest backup which was from noon time today (CET). So the backup was about 10 hours old when it was restored meaning that whatever happened in those 10 hours is gone. I can't even try to explain how bad this makes me feel.

Good news is that Asbjørn :wub: , super expert on Linux/PHP/Apache/MySQL and husband of our Fellow Cecile :wub: , has now done a proper tuning of our (powerful) server. He'll continue to monitor our server and re-tune parameters till we get everything out of it.

- A tired Bonaparte

Thanks for the update. I noticed a few of my posts were missing, but nothing major.

Thanks to everyone at EB for working hard all the time for our viewing pleasure! I agree, take a break! haha

Thanks for the efforts guys, get a well deserved rest.

I never know it happened since I was busy building,Good to see you got it fixed. :bonaparte:

A fellow member over in the technic forum said he had lost his post,this would explain why.

Yep and this explains why posting half the things this morning was very slow indeed.

Get some rest 'Bonaparte'.....you work is done for the day. :classic:

Eh, it's better than what we had last time around! Thanks for getting us back online so fast, staff! :wub:

No database errors during Mafia!

As the site was up again after the crash all zhe posts were there, but a bit messed up. Did you save these tables so that one can recreate the posts in important threads (like news, mafia, heroica)

Thanks for the work and all the time you all spent on bringing EB back to life. Though it's a pity that some posts are missing, but that is not as important as the whole system being up. Much will be restored by the users :sweet:

Many thanks to everyone who has worked and is working behind the scenes at Eurobricks. The site usually functions brilliantly, and it's the best-moderated forum out there, in my experience. You've had to face some technical hiccups recently - thanks for ironing these out as fast as possible. I don't think I want to imagine how much effort goes into the site at times like those.

Of course, it's too bad that some posts have disappeared. But if LEGO teaches us anything, it's that you can always use your imagination and rebuild, perhaps in a way that is even better than the original creation. And that's exactly what the Eurobricks staff are constantly doing. Thank you.

Golf champ and saviour of EB?

Go Ace!

And now go to sleep Boney and dream of the days when we don't get major 'splosions on the forum from CMFs!

Oh, those CM bastards! :laugh:

(just kidding, thanks the effort)

Were personal messages also lost during this episode?

Since our corporate IT / VoIP phones also died yesterday I dont blame you... and wish you luck for the future

Were personal messages also lost during this episode?

I can't be sure, but I noticed some PMs which I have sent out during that period do not show at all. So, I believe these PMs are lost as well since they are no back up.

In fact, any simple actions done to the EB forum such as update of signature and voting in a poll, will not be revert,

I blame WhiteFang. :grin:

Sorry my post tomorrow seems a bit rude to me now. Actually I was a bit annoyed as some posts I had put much effort in were posted yesterday. But all of this is not important. Let's enjoy this great community. And it is still unbelievable that this thing is run by volunteers and does not cost a penny (or a cent).

Many thanks to our hosts, admins and staff! You are doing a great job!

Finally a little question (to make the next crash even less nasty): How big is a database backup (not file backup)? Could it be made on a hourly basis? And to make the missing smartass line: Always expect the worst, backup before restart. :blush:

:wub: I love you guys! :wink:

Luckily this time the "damage" on the LDD forum has been very limited.

Thanks for the fasr resume of the forum.

So that's why I couldn't do anything yesterday evening before it all crashed ... I thought it was that good for nothing bluecoat Admiral tweaking my profile again :D

Thanks for fixing it and good job running this site!!!