Sign in to follow this  
Nintendawg

People are bidding TOO HIGH on my Lego!

Mods please move this for me if I have posted in the wrong section.

I have sold a few Lego sets over the year on Ebay but this is the first time I have been worried about the outcome of the auction. I listed the Minecraft set 6 days ago and people have goon crazy. I realised this is currently a high demand set, but it has gotten ridiculous. Over 40 watchers and bids beyond $160! I think it must be parents buying for gifts or something. Either way I do not believe that is a fair price. The set is a tiny little cube full of tiny little pieces. I personally wouldn't pay over $40 for it. I think buyers must not have seen it in person and are expecting something much more substantial for that amount.

So what is the buyer going to think when the tiny little package arrives in the mail? Im worried they will leave negative feedback. So has anyone here sold one of these before? And do you think it is ethical to sell an in production set for over 3 times RRP?

people have goon crazy.

Is that a typo, or are you saying people have gone crazy as goons?

Maybe add a link to the LEGO website's listing for this set. Are you allowed to do that?

It's possible the bidders hail from places this set is not sold, and have not learned of BrickLink.

Edit to add this:

Add the overall dimensions of the built set and its box to the listing. That should eliminate a few surprises.

Edited by splatman

That just the way the market is I guess, with the demand for that set. I guess people are just willing to pay that high of a price for the Minecraft set and value it to pay $160 (I wouldn't personally). Crazy profits for you I suppose.

So you're essentially complaining that you are making a huge profit over a tiny set? LOL ;-)

But yea, I paid $35 for that set and was disappointing at the size of the set overall.

Yeah, I don't see a problem.:tongue:

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. If people haven't done their homework and know about the sets size, I don't see that being your fault. It's not like you put some false dimensions in the description of the set. But the suggestion of putting box and set size like was mentioned, is a good idea.

The way I always look at it, if you've got several bidders bidding up the price... then if the top bidder bows out... you still have some backup bidders that can get a 2nd chance.

I remember seeing a 1963-66 #610 Double Wheel Toy set sell for $18 about 4 years ago. a few months later the same set sold for $343. Like they say on THE ANTIQUES ROADSHOW... "...and on good day you can get even more!"

I sold an use one for $90!

You should be a shame, actually don't ever talk to me. I shall put you on ignore.

Edited by Chri5kng

I

You should be a shame, actually don't ever talk to me. I shall put you on ignore.

Why is this pertinent?

Op, if you've listed the dimensions, stated the amount of pieces etc.. There shouldn't be a problem with negative feedback.

Why is this pertinent?

Op, if you've listed the dimensions, stated the amount of pieces etc.. There shouldn't be a problem with negative feedback.

Indeed...

But anyway back to the main point, this set has since been discontinued, but still in heavy demand. I'm not that surprised... I looked at them a couple months ago, before LEGO sold out, and they were already doubled in retail. $160 is still, a lot higher than there average of $100 or so, state side. I'd be quite enthused about this though. Like others have said, so long as it's description is accurate, you are safe. It's the buyers' job to know what they are paying for. :classic:

I can understand this. I've sold things on Ebay that were valuable out of neccessity and felt bad when they went for double the MSRP. Sometimes, when you find a good deal or buy something that's limited, you can get alot for it later on. Especially, if it's still alittle hot - where not alot of time has passed, but just enough to make people still want it when they've missed out.

The thing to remember is that people who bid are doing it by choice. They want the item and they have an amount they are willing to go to. It may seem crazy, but to someone who doesn't have the item and really wants, it might be perfectly reasonable to go that high. Plus, it's the holidays and you can always rely on last minute gift-buyers who will pay just alittle bit more to get something they know someone else reallys wants. The buyer may not even really know what it's worth or what the MSRP on the Minecraft set is, they may only be getting it as a gift at any cost. In any case, don't feel bad - someone out there is getting a chance to buy something that's sold out that they really want at a price they can manage.

Personally, I'd never pay that, partly because, as a collectable, Minecraft means nothing to me and, as parts, I could recreate the set contents on Bricklink for less than the MSRP, but clearly I'm in the minority (at least with respect to your bidders).

Having gone to _real_ collectables auctions, however, the one insight I can offer it that it is important to remember that a "fair price" is not a number, it's common ground defined by a seller and a buyer where each walks away from the transaction feeling that they've gotten something of greater value (to them) than what they had to trade to get it.

If you've been candid and complete in your description of the item and made an honest effort to inform potential bidders as to what is really for sale, I think most people would agree that you've kept up your end of the bargain. If someone is willing to pay a ridiculous price for a small box of bricks, hopefully it indicates that having that _particular_ box of bricks means more to them than whatever they had to do to get the money to pay for it and they should have no reason to complain.

I posted in this topic yesterday, but I guess my post got lost in that ten-hour black hole... so here I go again: Interesting topic!

This set intrigued me when it came out. Not because of the theme - I've never played Minecraft - but because it looks neat, has a nice box - plus, I've got the two first Cuusoo sets. I wouldn't have been interested in paying crazy inflated prices, but I noticed it for sale during the Fan Weekend in Skærbæk in late September, and made a mental note to go and get it. But by the time I remembered, the sets were all gone. And then this happened:

A couple of hours later, I walked past a second-hand store in Billund, just a stone's throw from LEGO HQ. In the window I spot a Minecraft box. It turned out to be a perfect second-hand one, in near-mint condition, re-sealed with Scotch tape that leaves no residue, complete with all parts - even the extra ones - and instructions. And the price?

I sold an use one for $90!

I paid 1/45 of that: 12 Danish kroner. About 2 US dollars, or €1.50.

Proof:

8055086775_fd3a11402c.jpg

8055087250_4a326bef9d_c.jpg

8055087620_587a75c9f7.jpg

8055087984_5d16a38a06.jpg

But anyway back to the main point, this set has since been discontinued...

Has it really? I spotted several sets for sale in the LEGO Store in Cologne last weekend. I guess I should have bought a couple... :)

Has it really? I spotted several sets for sale in the LEGO Store in Cologne last weekend. I guess I should have bought a couple... :)

That's what I just thought. :laugh: I also saw them there and thought about buying one because the box looked so cool. But seriously, 160$? Mostly, ebay prices seem to figure in the availability of the item (at least in my experience), so I guess the set really isn't available anymore in most stores. Be happy that made such a great deal, the bidders will feel the same way! :classic:

People go insane on eBay in December. You just picked the right time to post it. Don't feel bad at all, the value of this set is determined by the buyers, and they've decided it's worth a lot.

That's what I just thought. :laugh: I also saw them there and thought about buying one because the box looked so cool. But seriously, 160$? Mostly, ebay prices seem to figure in the availability of the item (at least in my experience), so I guess the set really isn't available anymore in most stores. Be happy that made such a great deal, the bidders will feel the same way! :classic:

And me too! It did cost €45 at Cologne so if Lego is still selling the set for that price and you are getting much more you're lucky :wink: And if it's ethical or not. I think it is. Would you sell it for $160 not, but with the bids, it is a different story to me.

I paid 1/45 of that: 12 Danish kroner. About 2 US dollars, or €1.50.

Proof: (snip)

But anyway back to the main point, this set has since been discontinued...

First, that is a HECK of a deal! *huh*

But, according to Brickset, it was discontinued in October '12, and is also "sold out" at LEGO S@H (obviously). This is for the U.S. and Canada though. It seems to just have been discontinued, Dec. '12, in the U.K. If I were you, I scurry back down there and grab as many as you can... I wish I would have bought one or two for resale. They would have funded the new Horizon Express, for me :classic:

If I were you, I scurry back down there and grab as many as you can...

Well, seeing as Cologne is about 1,000 kilometres (600 miles) from where I live - in a straight line - I'm not entirely sure it would be worth it when you calculate the travel cost, even if there's money to be made on the sets :D

And by the way, not to stray too much off topic: I agree with Ecclesiastes here. This is a genuine case of demand and supply - as long as the price is decided by people bidding, there's absolutely no need to feel bad about it.

Remember, nobody is forcing people to bid. They know how much the price is, if they choose to bid, it's clearly on them.

S@H Australia is saying "out of stock, expected ship date 28 Dec 2012" ... it is on top of the "top sellers" list, so I'm not sure that it is discontinued, just unavailable. I believe originally there was only going to be a limited amount made, but maybe TLG changed plan?

That's one thing to consider. Lego didn't make these with a specfic edition size, so they could churn out a few more to meet the demand. Especially, if Lego notices that people are paying so much for it. Essentially, the same could be said about the Death Star - people keep buying it, so Lego will just keep making it.

S@H Australia is saying "out of stock, expected ship date 28 Dec 2012" ... it is on top of the "top sellers" list, so I'm not sure that it is discontinued, just unavailable. I believe originally there was only going to be a limited amount made, but maybe TLG changed plan?

I ordered one a couple of days ago with from S@H Australia when it had that notation and it apparently shipped last night so I wouldn't take the availablity as gospel

S@H USA is showing sold out though

Edited by Slobey

There is a difference between a Buy-it-now price vs a bid reaching that level. I think people just want it. I was at a LEGO store last month right before Halloween and they didn't have any in sight. But then again, I wasn't interested in it so I didn't look for it, but being my first visit to a brand store, I wanted to take in the whole experience and see everything that was available. But I didn't know you could bricklink the pieces for less than MSRP. It has some great little pieces so I would be quite pleased with that for my mini builds.

Good luck with the auction.