Arigomi

Resisting Temptation

I was at the LEGO Store today and found myself constantly going back to look at the 2013 sets 31007 Power Mech and 31008 Thunder Wings. I spent quite a while debating with myself if I could make room in my budget for them. Naturally, the store clerks noticed my concentration and asked if I needed any help. After telling the clerk "I'm fine", I eventually convinced myself that I could wait since Creator sets stay in production for a year or two depending on popularity.

Does anyone else have moments like this?

Edited by Arigomi

Plenty of times. I usually like to walk around the store with the box in my hands for a while. If I can still put it back on the shelf after doing that, then I know it can wait for for another day.

I have done that a few times with the Gungan Sub. I'd love to have the Queen Amidala, but have no interest in the set as a whole.

Yes that happens a lot and it happened yesterday. I was trying to decide which Hobbit sets to get. I picked up the Warg Attack and wanted that, but for less money I could get Riddles for the ring and the Mirkwood Spioders. I really wanted the Warg Attck set but decided with the run up to Christmas I could get the other two and still have money over for a gist for someone else other than me. I guess the Hobbit sets are going to be around for a while as they only just got released so i can get it January or February when the budget allows.

I'm pretty sure we've all done this a time or two. I know I have. It's hard to put them back on the shelf and step away. Sometimes you just have to say no.

I don't buy anything unless it 50% off or more, my minimal threshold is 33% off. I would prefer 70% or more though.

I'm almost the same way. A lot of my threshold depends on price per part as well. I did get the haunted house for regular price because I really wanted it and I knew I would never see it clearance.

I also am more prone to buying if I can get multiples of the same set.

I always have moments like this. Usually (unless it is truly a MUST HAVE set) I will think of what the wife will say and then put it back on the shelf.

Back in the days of Bionicle I did this all the time. Every single set (canister) the exact same price and style, and there were always six to choose from, though I almost always just got one. I would sit there for half an hour trying to decide. :laugh:

I've been doing this with the Robie House for over a year now. I think I'm going to finally cave and get it though since I have an opportunity to get it for 40% off and should be getting a bonus soon as well. (Only trouble is that by the time I know whether I get a bonus, it will be too late for the extra discount, but let's be honest, that's probably not going to stop me.)

I've been doing this with the Robie House for over a year now. I think I'm going to finally cave and get it though since I have an opportunity to get it for 40% off ...

Resistance is futile, give in to temptation. The 1x2 plate construction of the Robie House gets a little tedious at times, but the finished model is one of my favorites of the Architecture line, at 40% off it's hard to go wrong.

I have this happen alot with sets that have a poor price-per-brick rate. I don't know how many times I've had the Gungan Sub in my hands and then stopped myself because I realized I was probably paying the $70 just for Amidala, as I don't need anything else from the set.

I aslo have this happen when I'm looking at getting into a new line. Lately, Kingdoms (or what's left of it until it becomes Castle) and Marvel have been calling to me and I have to contemplate on whether I have the space and money for another line.

I was at the LEGO Store today and found myself constantly going back to look at the 2013 sets 31007 Power Mech and 31008 Thunder Wings... Does anyone else have moments like this?

All the time, but it's funny because I had the exact same problem earlier today with those two exact sets. They are great. And they don't cost much. But they're not what I should be buying right now. If I'm going to buy Lego at all, I should be saving up for one of the numerous big sets that I really want. Especially considering those two sets are going to be around for at least another year...

To be honest, I often have to attempt to buy a set two or three times before I buy it. Sometimes I'll actually have the set in my hands, start walking towards the checkout, and turn around to put it back. Mind you, I do this with other things too, like video games and movies. I guess it's because we never have enough money, and I feel bad about spending money frivolously. I want to be super sure that I can afford the item and that it's something I really REALLY want. It really sucks when you buy a Lego set that doesn't live up to your expectations, and a day later you find that you really need that $40 you just spent.

Sometimes I'll actually have the set in my hands, start walking towards the checkout, and turn around to put it back.

True. So true.

This is actually the main reason why I'd want to have exact "retirement" dates for sets--it'd make it SO much easier to budget, especially on my shoestring budget. I nearly blow a blood vessel every time I try to think about how I'm going to afford all of my Ninjago purchases (including the Ultra Dragon Battle) AND the Kingdoms chess set (you know, the one with all the Lions) AND try to budget for potential Bricklink purchases...

I know the feeling, although it’s usually not for new sets. I have the problem with secondhand bags or boxes with pieces. I have to evaluate if I’m actually going to get any good use out of the pieces compared to the price.

This is actually the main reason why I'd want to have exact "retirement" dates for sets

Even if such "dates" were published, they'd be pretty meaningless. A slow selling set could sit on the shelves of local retailers for months after the set officially "retires" (my local toy store still has a few Atlantis sets!) whereas a hot seller could be gone almost instantly.

I have done that a few times with the Gungan Sub. I'd love to have the Queen Amidala, but have no interest in the set as a whole.

I feel your pain, cause it's my pain too!

This happens to me all the time. Generally I end up resisting temptation, but it's always frustrating because at least if I just bought the set I'd get a more-or-less equal value for what I spent. Whereas if I end up debating with myself for a long time whether or not to actually get something, and decide against it, then I'll have spent a great deal of valuable time without getting anything in return.

I think this is typical. I know I will hold different boxes and think about them and look at them while walking around the store following the little one (it gives me something to do at the same time while she plays with random toys and does her thing). But 9/10 times I will just put it back and let it wait for another day. This next year I am waiting for sales more than the current year, so I probably won't end up buying that many at full value. But it doesn't cost anything to look.

I also wonder what the money could be spent on. My wife will buy clothes/shoes, then I feel I should cut back to make up for it so we both aren't spending frivolously, but then there are times I just buy something to get some pleasure myself.

Setting up a budget can be tricky with all of these great themes coming out. I think originally I didn't want to miss out on any of the sets so we'd get them when they come out, only realizing they will probably be on the shelf for a while. Point being, here, every set from January is still on the shelf (other than Dino, those were rarely seen around here), so I didn't need to rush out on anything and could have waited for more of a sale. So 2013 will see those sales. However, the problem was Kingdoms summer wave of 2011 was cut really short so I couldn't have waited too long for that.

But to make a long story even longer, I typically resist temptation. I like to think out my purchases and see if I truly want everything included or if I should just bricklink figures/pieces I want.

Edited by TheLegoDr

You bring up a good point, TheLegoDr, about Kingdoms meeting an early demise. Granted, they don't do this kind of thing every year but there's always a chance ofvthis happening. That's why I always try to get everything I want ASAP.

My situation is the same, and different. I usually go to the LEGO store with the idea of what and frequently how much I am going to purchase. The damaged box sales are something different, I frequentally rationalize about the part availability in different sets and get sets that will add to my inventory, but I don't usually add the pars to my inventory until I hade built he set, I'm always looking for new techniques, but I do need to build more frequently.

I also try to get sets I want so I am not left hanging with discontinued sets that I wanted, but did not get.

So, "resisting temptation", not often.

Andy D

It's hard to put them back on the shelf and step away. Sometimes you just have to say no.

Yep, ditto but I also have a problem with Bricklink orders. I know I need x of a specific piece, but I'll end up buy x+y just to be safe and then I'll buy z further (currently un-needed) different pieces so that the postage doesn't make up a huge proportion of the overall Invoice. Then I'll discover that I need z+y different pieces and I'll have to place another BL order for z+y+c different pieces and b new different pieces for the postage problem....

I need help - professional help, but luckily here at eurobricks I know I'm surrounded by people just like me with the same issue.

My name is eurotrash and I have a problem

I don't see how this couldn't happen to an AFOL. I always convice myself that I need it and it's the last one and it might get out of stock. And then I think of other sets I could get instead of the one I am getting, etc.