Brickdoctor

[LDD MOCs] Brickdoctor's 2012 Star Wars Advent Calendar

Hi chuba da naga? I need parts for Day Sixteen.

2012SWAdvent_Day16_zpsb3f6456c.jpg

Ah, yes, ah, yes. Nubian. We have lots of Midi-scale J-type 327 Nubian Royal Starships. Peedenke! Naba dee unko.

Well, I don't think this one was as difficult as the Gungan Sub, but it certainly comes close. Not in building techniques - this is just layered plates - but in difficulty of capturing a shape that's both curved and sleek with thin edges at the same time. Speaking of layered plates, I've never been a fan of the technique, but I think it's the only way to capture this ship at this scale. And I think the layered plates and their slight offsets work much better for representing the curves of this ship than the angles of the Star Destroyers TLG uses them for.

Also, I think I've read the script for Menace in this half a month alone more than I ever have before, just by looking for quotes I can adapt to introduce these models. :laugh:

The J-type 327 Nubian royal starship (also known as the Naboo royal cruiser) was a starship used by Queen Amidala, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi during the Invasion of Naboo... Read more.

2012SWAdvent_Day16.lxf

Because of the time EB was down, we've got three models today. To start things off...

We can enter Day Seventeen using the secret passages on the waterfall side.

2012SWAdvent_Day17_zps291d2978.jpg

Once we get to the main entrance, the Midi-scale Seraph-class Flash Speeder will create a diversion, so that we can enter the palace and capture the Viceroy.

This model turned out a lot harder than I thought it would be. I started with the engines and gun mount, nice and easy angles... and then suddenly I get to this nose that's got almost three layers of curves, all sloping forward and ending in a rounded tip. :sing: I took a bit of creative liberty in this section. I used the 2x6 slope pieces SNOTed there, which is by no means a new idea, but I like it for solving these areas, because it maintains the curved shape while transitioning into an angled side that I can work more easily with. Once I found a good attachment point to add the angled top panel, rounding off the nose was a simple manner of adding cheese. It's a little long, and its curves aren't really accurate, but I think it's a good looking solution that fits in with the model and represents well the overall shape.

The Seraph-class urban landspeeder, also known as the Flash Speeder, was a small landspeeder used by the Naboo Royal Security Forces... Read more.

2012SWAdvent_Day17.lxf

And today's second model...

We intercepted no 'Day Nineteen'. Aaach...

2012SWAdvent_Day18_zps5694698c.jpg

This is a Miniland-scale Rebel Trooper... We're on a diplomatic mission...

I built this figure from the top down, unlike all the other Miniland-scale figures, which I built from the bottom up. I wanted to start with the helmet, knowing that that would be the hardest. Once I got that done, the rest was fairly easy. I think I'm getting the hang of Miniland figures. They're certainly turning out better than last year's.

Rebel troopers (also known as Rebel soldiers and Rebel infantry) were standard foot soldiers employed by the Alliance to Restore the Republic... Read more.

2012SWAdvent_Day18.lxf

Now, now, Your Highness. You're not going to like what Day Nineteen has in store for your people. In time, their suffering will persuade you to see our point of view. Commander, process them.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day19_zps3f2ccb21.jpg

Yes, sir. Sergeant, take them to the Midi-scale Sheathipede-class shuttle.

Okay, so that was a bit of a stretch adapting the quote. :laugh:

I was surprised; this was a model I enjoyed building. Despite the many angles mixed with curves, the shapes of this ship seem to fit in well with what can be done with LEGO. I thought it would be difficult, but there was no spot where I really got stuck and didn't know how to shape something. With the shaping down and the interior skeleton in place, I could concentrate more on the details. Until I built this model, I didn't realize that the 'real' thing actually has a decent amount of greebling and is really more angles than curves. The design doesn't scream 'Star Wars' (thought maybe that's because it's just a background supporting craft that's neither memorable nor notably recognizable), but it's not a bad ship.

The Sheathipede-class transport shuttle, also known as the Neimoidian shuttle, was a craft manufactured by Haor Chall Engineering and used by high-ranking officials of the Trade Federation to visit potential clients and marketplaces... Read more.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day19.lxf

Yes, sir. Sergeant, take them to the Midi-scale Sheathipede-class shuttle.

Wow :wub_drool:.

I think this blows the others out of the water. The SNOT technique for the cockpit is really good :thumbup:.

Wow :wub_drool:.

I think this blows the others out of the water.

Yes, I'm liking this one a lot! I may have to try to build it, although my version will be unfortunately mottled in many different colors probably.

The shuttle is beautiful Doc, well done!! :thumbup:

I agree with Mr Man, this is the best one yet.....although the little Gonk droid is very cute and deserves a mention! :wub: :wub:

Day Twenty, you are a bold one.

2012SWAdvent_Day20_zps8853de9b.jpg

Midi-scale Belbullab-22 starfighter or not, you must realize, you are doomed.

I apologize for posting this a day late. I started this model thinking it would be just another midi-scale ship, but it's got so many curves in it that I didn't realize were there! In the end, I've arrived at a result that I'm somewhat satisfied with. The cockpit area is more blocky than I would like, but I'm happy with the way the engines and the ship as a whole turned out.

The Belbullab-22 starfighter was a heavy starfighter constructed by Feethan Ottraw Scalable Assemblies for the Confederacy of Independent Systems... Read more.

2012SWAdvent_Day20.lxf

Brave, but foolish, Day Twenty One. You're impossibly outnumbered.

2012SWAdvent_Day21_zps3f6f3d7f.jpg

It wasn't the Geonosians I was thinking about. How do you think one Jedi will hold up against a thousand Miniland-scale B2 Super Battle Droids?

I thought the builders at LEGOLAND did a good job with their SBDs, so I didn't try anything radically different. Mostly, I just tried to slim it down, because I think the LEGOLAND figures, while their general shaping was good, are too bulky to represent even the more stocky Super Battle Droids.

The B2 super battle droid (SBD) was an upgraded version of the B1 battle droid, with superior armament and armor. They were manufactured after the Invasion of Naboo proved need for stronger droids... Read more.

2012SWAdvent_Day21.lxf

My lord, it's impossible to locate Day Twenty Two. It's out of our range.

2012SWAdvent_Day22_zpsa7973933.jpg

...not for a Sith... This is my Sith Infiltrator, Midi-scale Scimitar. It will find your lost ship.

In many ways, this ship is like the Sheathipede: Lots of curves combined with lots of angles, but they all seem to lend themselves well to the shape of LEGO. I started with a 3-wide Lowell Sphere, an improvement on my design that I used in last year's calendar for the Midi-scale Homing Spider Droid. (Day 4) From there, it was just a matter of attaching the right curved pieces at the right angles and using those 2x4 tiles to cover up the gaps.

The Scimitar (or Sith Infiltrator) was a prototype stealth-ship used as the personal starship of Darth Maul, the Sith apprentice of Darth Sidious, prior to the Invasion of Naboo around 32 BBY... Read more.

2012SWAdvent_Day22.lxf

WOW! so much better than LEGO's interpretation, it appears both simple but complex at the same time. Amazing work :thumbup: I may just have to build it in physical bricks!

I know there haven't been models for a couple days. No, I didn't forget about them. Like last year, I don't want to end the calendar with - or even include in it - a Miniland-scale figure(s) that's not even in the canon universe.

I was trying to think of something else to build. Last year I finished with the LXFs for my TIE x1, TIE/sa and TIE/in that I did for Community Builds, but this year I'd already posted the LXFs for my N-1 and Delta-7 at the same time as the pictures of the models. I tried to think of some vehicle that I really thought should've been in this calendar, but I couldn't. (and it doesn't help that there's a definite Menace theme; I'm neither a huge fan of the movie nor as well-versed with its vehicles compared to the OT)

So, let's do this: You guys pick a vehicle by popular vote before the end of the year - any vehicle from the saga, provided it wasn't in last year's calendar or this year's calendar, and I'll try to build it in one day in midi-scale to finish off this calendar rebuild.

Merry Christmas, EB!