Brickdoctor

[LDD MOCs] Brickdoctor's 2012 Star Wars Advent Calendar

Guess so, didn't realize you were in America, I'm in France so nearly a day ahead!

Last year I tried being a day ahead myself so I could get the models up reasonably close to the correct day for everyone, but the existence of an extra day to work with led to my being lazy and that extra day disappeared somewhere around Days 4-5. :laugh:

Last year I tried being a day ahead myself so I could get the models up reasonably close to the correct day for everyone, but the existence of an extra day to work with led to my being lazy and that extra day disappeared somewhere around Days 4-5. :laugh:

Yeah, I can barely keep on top of my models, so a model a day, beats me!

Dude! Your calanders have so much become a part of my festive season! You rock! :grin:

Dude! Your calanders have so much become a part of my festive season! You rock! :grin:

:classic: Thanks, Aeroeza.

smalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.png

Echo Station Three-T-Eight. We have spotted Day Ten!

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day10-1.jpg

Midi-scale AT-AT on the north ridge. Midi-scale AT-AT on the north ridge.

Forget the Star Destroyer; this is my new favorite model of the calendar. :wub: (considering the amount of work put into it, the complexity of the model and the overall awesomeness of the AT-AT itself, I think I like it better than last year's Lambda, too) I'm sitting here looking at it and making quiet AT-AT sound effects. :grin:

I started with the feet, because I was lying in bed for a couple minutes after I woke up, and I was thinking of how I would do the feet. The trick there was to do the 5-ish-wide circle of cheese, but it couldn't be that thick, and it had to incorporate attachment points for the four plates that hang off the edge and the end of the leg.

With the legs, I tried to find solutions for the joints, but in the end, knowing that if this is every built with physical bricks, it would be a display model, I opted for static joints using angled Technic connectors in the knees and no joint at all in the ankles. I don't think the lack of an ankle joint affects the look of the model too much, and the knees can be be adjusted, you just have to take off the bottom and switch in a different angle of Technic piece.

Once I got the legs and feet down and attached to the inner skeleton that was developing as I needed attachment points, the armor of the body was actually a lot simpler than I thought it would be - it just took a long time to manually mirror one half once it was done. The head also turned out simpler to figure out than I thought it would.

I'm not completely sure of the stability of the model, but I purposely left a lot of the interior empty, both to keep the walker light and to allow for the addition of supports if the model can't stand on its own as-s. (I know the neck is going to be a weak point; I think it might sag a little but probably hold. I think the hips will be weak points, too) Also, LDD tells me two bricks were misplaced and had to be removed when I open the file, but I can't find them. (and I'm no good at crawling through the LXFML of the unplaceable brick dump file) It doesn't look like anything crucial is missing, though. Reference material is here.

The All Terrain Armored Transport (AT-AT) walker, also known as the Imperial Walker, was a major part of the Galactic Empire's army. It was one of the most heavily armored land vehicles in the Imperial Army, but was also known for its relatively slow speed... Read more.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day10.lxf

Echo Station Three-T-Eight. We have spotted Day Ten!

Forget the Star Destroyer; this is my new favorite model of the calendar. :wub: (considering the amount of work put into it, the complexity of the model and the overall awesomeness of the AT-AT itself, I think I like it better than last year's Lambda, too)

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day10.lxf

My favorite, defiantly, I just love AT-AT's and this is one of the best, even at this scale!

General, Day 11 is coming out of hyperspace in sector four.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day11.jpg

Reroute all power to the Miniland-scale Atgar 1.4 FD P-Tower. Prepare for ground assault.

At least I think that's what the official model is supposed to be. :laugh: This is the only dish-shaped turret that comes to mind and we're in the middle of a Hoth mini-theme of the calendar.

At first, I was a little disappointed that I didn't find a better solution than an 8-wide dish, but I think the rest of the turret turned out quite nicely. It seemed fairly straightforward while I was building it, so I don't have much to comment about on the build.

I try to avoid using pieces that aren't available now, but that clip piece in black from the Rancor Pit was perfect for that part of the turret, and the Pit has been spotted in stores already, so I decided to use it.

The Atgar 1.4 FD P-Tower, manufactured by Atgar SpaceDefense Corporation, was a 2.8-meter tall dish-shaped laser cannon dating back to the Clone Wars... Read more.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day11.lxf

I love this P-Tower :wub_drool: :wub_drool: I must build it :grin: , thank you for sharing your great work Brickdoctor :thumbup: :thumbup:

Loving this so far. Inspired building techniques BD. I'll jump in at the end with what the highlights have been for me. Looking forward to seeing the rest... keep it up.

Their primary target will be Day Twelve. Prepare to open shield.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day12.jpg

Stand by, Miniland-scale Hoth Rebel Trooper... fire!

I started doing this one as a tan-clothed trooper like the one in the calendar, but then I got to the head, and... Miniland figures have tan skin. Right, can't use this color scheme. :laugh: So I ended up with what is a hybrid of the white- and tan-colored troopers. I built it based on what I knew the tan ones looked like; I just gave it the light bley and white coloring. (and as with the Imperial Officer, I opted not to add the goggles, but you can add them yourself with the same method)

Rebel troopers (also known as Rebel soldiers and Rebel infantry) were standard foot soldiers employed by the Alliance to Restore the Republic... Read more.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day12.lxf

I've never been a huge fan of Miniland scale, but I :wub: that blaster!

Also, a few days late, but...

I'm not completely sure of the stability of the model, but I purposely left a lot of the interior empty, both to keep the walker light and to allow for the addition of supports if the model can't stand on its own as-s. (I know the neck is going to be a weak point; I think it might sag a little but probably hold. I think the hips will be weak points, too) Also, LDD tells me two bricks were misplaced and had to be removed when I open the file, but I can't find them. (and I'm no good at crawling through the LXFML of the unplaceable brick dump file) It doesn't look like anything crucial is missing, though. Reference material is here.

Really? Nobody noticed this but me? I find your lack of pointing out semi-unintentional Empire references disturbing. :hmpf_bad::tongue:

In all seriousness, if your brick-built version starts to bug you, just remind yourself that you're being accurate to the Star Wars universe. :tongue:

I woke up my computer this morning and realized that I'd built Day Thirteen's model yesterday... and I never posted it. :blush: Oops. You get two models today, then.

Gonk. Day Thirteen. Gonk.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day13_zpsd8ba0d54.jpg

Go-onk. Miniland-scale GNK power droid. Gonk!

Despite the difficulty of working with SNOT panels three studs long and incorporating the recessed 'face' area and the wider middle, this is a Miniland-scale model that I enjoyed making. Kind of like last year's mouse droid. Miniland in scale, but because of the shape of the 'real' droid, basically the same as my normal building style.

GNK power droids, also known as gonk droids, were an Industrial Automaton knockoff of the successful EG-6 power droid... Read more.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day13.lxf

This power droid looks like it was from Tatooin because of the color. it looks very nice. love it! :wink:

This power droid looks like it was from Tatooin because of the color. it looks very nice. love it! :wink:

Thank you. I debated what color to make it in, the traditional grey or the dirty tan that Wookieepedia would seem to indicate.

Day Fourteen has entered the base. Day Fourteen has entered the base.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day14_zps47d7f33d.jpg

Give the evacuation code signal. And get away from that Miniland-scale E-web repeating blaster!

I find myself starting to like Miniland-scale after these last couple of days. The E-web is another model that seems to be easy for me to work with in Miniland-scale, despite the fact that I had to omit a couple details. (I started to build the rectangle of bars around the tripod, but took it out because I felt it was taking away from the spindly look of the legs, itself already reduced by the rather bulky solution for the second set of legs inside the main ones)

The E-Web was a repeating blaster manufactured by BlasTech Industries. It was one of the most powerful repeating blasters in the Imperial arsenal, and had an optimum range of two-hundred meters with a maximum range of five-hundred meters... Read more.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day14.lxf

Yeah, I think I'm starting to like it too. You can get a decent amount of detail, the only thing I don't like is the people. That E-web is great though!

That is the system. And I'm sure Day Fifteen is with them. Set your course for the Hoth system.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day15_zpse33891c0.jpg

General Veers, prepare your Miniland-scale Snowtroopers.

Wow, another Miniland-scale model I enjoyed making. I've never been good at creating human features, whether it be with clay, pencils, paints or LEGO, so perhaps that's why I'm finding it enjoyable translating the distinctive features of characters into the simplified shapes of Miniland-scale. (though I'm sure it helps that these last few models I've enjoyed building don't have any thin or extremely curved shapes, like the battle droid's torso or last year's TIE Pilot's helmet)

Snowtroopers, also known as cold assault stormtroopers, were Imperial stormtroopers trained to operate in arctic climates. Some snowtroopers were deployed under Death Squadron's Blizzard Force, as well as other arctic forces... Read more.

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day15.lxf

Thank you. I debated what color to make it in, the traditional grey or the dirty tan that Wookieepedia would seem to indicate.

Day Fourteen has entered the base. Day Fourteen has entered the base.

[Picture]

Give the evacuation code signal. And get away from that Miniland-scale E-web repeating blaster!

I find myself starting to like Miniland-scale after these last couple of days. The E-web is another model that seems to be easy for me to work with in Miniland-scale, despite the fact that I had to omit a couple details. (I started to build the rectangle of bars around the tripod, but took it out because I felt it was taking away from the spindly look of the legs, itself already reduced by the rather bulky solution for the second set of legs inside the main ones)

2012StarWarsAdvent_Day14.lxf

:drool: Only if that was real!

Edited by LFCMessi

:drool: Only if that was real!

It is possible to build it with physical bricks. (you might have to wait a little while to get the three new clip-bar connectors that just came out in the Rancor Pit, though)