Sign in to follow this  
Admonisher

79003 An Unexpected Gathering - Space-Saving MOD

This is hardly a stroke of brilliance on my part, but here's a subtle space-saving MOD for "An Unexpected Gathering," such as you might do if you wanted to display it flush against a flat wall, and/or (as in my situation) on a narrower shelf. I think this maintains a pleasing interior that keeps with the feel of Bag End. It also gives Bilbo a high stool so he can reach his writing desk. :classic: The obvious trade-off is that you lose the party scene -- but that wasn't a major loss for me.

rE8gjl.jpg

This was done entirely using pieces that came with the set (including some extras, such as the brown studs for the shelf bottoms). I also used some bonus cheese slopes to smooth out a few tree brances. Frodo is inside because Bilbo is outside to greet Gandalf and Balin (re-creating a scene from the novel).

Incidentally, I'm very close to jumping on the "best set ever" bandwagon. The more I look at this beauty, the more I love it! When the Tolkien line was announced, this was the number one set I wanted to see, and it exceeds all my expectations!

That's a really good idea. I will probably do something similar once I own the set. I should do that same mod with The Burrow from HP.

That's a really good idea. I will probably do something similar once I own the set. I should do that same mod with The Burrow from HP.

If you do either of these, I'd love to see pics of your results!