Qro

Hi from China

Hi All,

I'm new in this forum. Though I'm living in China, I'm actually Dutch. I didn't touch any LEGO for over 20 years (except some Duplo which I bought for my daughter) until in June this year, out of the blue, I bought a series 6 polybag collectable minifigure. This happened to be the Bandit and it was the start of an eye-opening experience that sparked the collector in me. I have been collecting minifigures since, having now 300+ figures and counting (including all the series of collectable minifigures). This number increases every month. I'm not really interested in sets, only in the minifigures contained in it, so I have been buying sets, taking the minifigures out and throwing the rest aside.

I mentioned I live in China. I'm wondering if there are any other Chinese LEGO fans in this forum? LEGO in China is expensive and there is only limited availability, which makes it a lot harder for me to get my hands on new minifigures. I do most of my shopping when traveling to Hong Kong and Europe.

Anyway, I found out about this forum yesterday and think it's great there are so many other AFOLs. See you in the forums!

Qro

Hi All,

I'm new in this forum. Though I'm living in China, I'm actually Dutch. I didn't touch any LEGO for over 20 years (except some Duplo which I bought for my daughter) until in June this year, out of the blue, I bought a series 6 polybag collectable minifigure. This happened to be the Bandit and it was the start of an eye-opening experience that sparked the collector in me. I have been collecting minifigures since, having now 300+ figures and counting (including all the series of collectable minifigures). This number increases every month. I'm not really interested in sets, only in the minifigures contained in it, so I have been buying sets, taking the minifigures out and throwing the rest aside.

I mentioned I live in China. I'm wondering if there are any other Chinese LEGO fans in this forum? LEGO in China is expensive and there is only limited availability, which makes it a lot harder for me to get my hands on new minifigures. I do most of my shopping when traveling to Hong Kong and Europe.

Anyway, I found out about this forum yesterday and think it's great there are so many other AFOLs. See you in the forums!

Qro

Hi Qro and welcome to EB, it's a great site. My name's Joe and I've been living in Beijing for a long time, originally from the States. There aren't too many posters here from China that I can remember. I got into Lego via Duplo for my son and I've got all the CMFs except series one myself, so your story sounds familiar.

Ok, have fun, Joe

Hi Qro and welcome to EB, it's a great site. My name's Joe and I've been living in Beijing for a long time, originally from the States. There aren't too many posters here from China that I can remember. I got into Lego via Duplo for my son and I've got all the CMFs except series one myself, so your story sounds familiar.

Ok, have fun, Joe

Thanks for the welcome Joe, I'm in Shanghai.

What I forgot to mention is that I only collect unique minifigures, so one of each. I'm not an army builder. Everything I have double is up for swap/trade (and is not counted in in the 300+ minifigures I mentioned above). I bought complete boxes of Series 2, 3, 6, and 8 so I have some complete series of those double, still in their polybags. Will buy a box for Series 9 as well.

The minifigures of series 1 can still be found if you want to complete your collection. I managed to find and obtain them, the zombie being the most expensive. Saw several Series 1 CMFs in Hong Kong last week.

Good morning and hello to you Qro.

Can I have that stuff you're throwing aside? :wink:

Welcome to Eurobricks! :thumbup:

Thanks for the welcome Joe, I'm in Shanghai.

The minifigures of series 1 can still be found if you want to complete your collection. I managed to find and obtain them, the zombie being the most expensive. Saw several Series 1 CMFs in Hong Kong last week.

Thanks Qro, how much would a complete set of Series 1 be in HK roughly? Where do you shop for Lego there, do you go to that market where most of the shops are open on the weekend? It's described on this Smashing Bricks blog page here.

I used to go to HK every so often but haven't been for a long time, it doesn't seem to be worth it to me to go all the way there just for Lego! I usually buy Lego from Taobao (China's eBay) here in Beijing, it's cheaper than in the shops. My wife does the Chinese for me. :wink: I pay a little more than US$ 50 for a complete set of sixteen figs for the CMFs on Taobao, very reasonable I think. This past summer - when I first started collecting them - I passed on Series 1 for about US$ 100. I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting them then as the price has gone up.

Can I have that stuff you're throwing aside?

I was going to offer to take that stuff off your hands as well, but I don't have much to trade. :sweet:

Edited by bjtpro

Thanks Qro, how much would a complete set of Series 1 be in HK roughly? Where do you shop for Lego there, do you go to that market where most of the shops are open on the weekend? It's described on this Smashing Bricks blog page here.

Oof, since I already had them I haven't been really paying attention to them. I only noticed that a Series 1 Zombie was going for HKD 249, which is more than twice what I paid for it 3 months ago. I spent most of my time in Inpoint, which indeed is mentioned in that blog.

I used to go to HK every so often but haven't been for a long time, it doesn't seem to be worth it to me to go all the way there just for Lego! I usually buy Lego from Taobao (China's eBay) here in Beijing, it's cheaper than in the shops. My wife does the Chinese for me. :wink: I pay a little more than US$ 50 for a complete set of sixteen figs for the CMFs on Taobao, very reasonable I think. This past summer - when I first started collecting them - I passed on Series 1 for about US$ 100. I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting them then as the price has gone up.

Yes, I also occasionally order via Taobao, you might get a pretty good deal, but still often more expensive than Europe or the US. I actually bought Series 1 in Europe. Found a shop (the only one so far) that sells single Minifigures, all new, in The Netherlands. They still have all of Series 1 available. See here:

http://www.losseminifiguren.nl/index.php?tmplpage=cat&catid=13

Current total price for the series is about 100 Euros, which is about 130 USD. I bought them there for 84 EUR. It seems especially the Zombie jumped in price. The only problem with this shop, for most people, is that it likely will only post to Netherlands or Belgium.

I was going to offer to take that stuff off your hands as well, but I don't have much to trade. :sweet:

Haha, I guess everyone would like to have it, I'm sure, but I think I'm gonna keep it for my daughter. She's too young still but it gives me some time to get her hooked on LEGO... ;)