Sign in to follow this  
Tacker

Flashing Lights

Ok ive searched older threads and can’t find an answer so im asking now. Anyone know how to make power functions lights flash. I’m shore ive seen it done.

Many Thanks

DLuders, the 'flashing' is built into the 4771 lightbrick. Flip it and it'll flash

It's 9V, but not PF

Or you can use the x543 from the 7866, but that is 12V

Or maybe do something with the fiberoptics unit, 6637

Or maybe use a (micro) motor to toggle a PF switch ..

Edit : I don't know if Mindstorms can do it? That would be PF

If you wanna go non-LEGO, you just need and AMV (astable multi vibrator) with just a couple of generic transistors or a 555 (there are plenty of readymade kits for that too). A microcontroller is a wee bit overkill for this app :wink:

Cheers,

Ole

Edited by 1974

If you use the older style pole reverser switch (6551), this would do it.

You can use a motor to turn the internal axle hole. This creates an intermitant signal from the output. You could then use a power functions adaptor cable to connect to your PF lights. Obviously the speed of the driveshaft turning the internals of the pole reverser would determine the speed of the flashing.

If any thing, I thought that this type of pole reverser is better than the newer PF one, Due to the variety of ways which it can be used.

I'd use a PF Motor attached to a PF Switch, kinda like LEGO use for generating pneumatic pressure on the Unimog.

Turn the motor on, it flicks the switch back and forth, turning the lights on and off