GRogall

News LEGO Architecture 2013 Discusion

Picked up the 21015 set at the local LEGO store today. Not done with it yet, but it's very interesting. 5-sided, and even though I visited the real one in 1998, I don't remember the rocket ship inside it...

...and done.

I won't do a build report, but one neat thing about the build (besides the 5-sided structure) is that you don't make the base until the end. Keeps the mystery alive for a bit, but in the end how it's done wasn't exactly groundbreaking technique. Neat kit, and more sturdy than I thought it would be from the pictures. The core of the tower, inside the 5-sided ring, is built very much like the booster rockets from the big Space Shuttle kit. The only real downside was that the build did get a bit repetitive in the middle, which isn't unusual for the Landmarks series of Architecture kits, but this certainly isn't as repetitive as the Burj al Khalifa kit was!

Edited by rollermonkey

Wow! That is one niiiiiiiiice UN set! Can't wait! Thanks for the photo!

The UN Building looks really good! I love how they captured the modern aspects of the original building. :thumbup:

I just found out about a new product coming out soon called LEGO Architecture Studio. I don't have much info about what the set itself contains, but it sounds like it could be an updated version of the "Scale Model" sets of the early '60's (presumably with a wider range of parts). Select Barnes & Noble stores will be holding a launch event for it the weekend of July 26-29.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I work for B&N. So I'll have more info soon, but can't guarantee I'll be allowed to share it.

This event is visible on more B&N calendars now. Sounds like there may be a mini-build as part of the event:

Special Lego Architecture Event

Special Event

A Barnes & Noble exclusive -- we're joining with Lego to host the first-ever launch event for Lego Architecture Studio. Space is limited. Ask any bookseller how to sign up.

Saturday July 27, 2013 3:00 PM

South Center

300 Andover Park W Ste 200, Tukwila, WA 98188, 206-575-3965

Special Instructions

Adults and teens will have an opportunity to discuss design inspiration, learn about scale, modules and repetition in architecture and build an architectural object based on what they learn.

Wow! That UN building is a breath of fresh air to this Architecture line. It's so colourful compared to the other sets. My only gripe is that those antennae will be a pain in the rear to perfectly align straight up :tongue:

Hopefully it's not too expensive.

The UN Headquarters set would be worth it for the trans blue alone - great to see that colour in large quantities.

It's going to be cool when I swap out all the trans-dark blue with trans light blue in my custom UN model. :classic:

Is there any chance of seeing an US Capitol in architecture form? I love the White House and I am a big fan of federal architecture so I am crossing my fingers that one day I might... I hope.

I just found out about a new product coming out soon called LEGO Architecture Studio. I don't have much info about what the set itself contains, but it sounds like it could be an updated version of the "Scale Model" sets of the early '60's (presumably with a wider range of parts). Select Barnes & Noble stores will be holding a launch event for it the weekend of July 26-29.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I work for B&N. So I'll have more info soon, but can't guarantee I'll be allowed to share it.

This event is visible on more B&N calendars now. Sounds like there may be a mini-build as part of the event:

Special Lego Architecture Event

Special Event

A Barnes & Noble exclusive -- we're joining with Lego to host the first-ever launch event for Lego Architecture Studio. Space is limited. Ask any bookseller how to sign up.

Saturday July 27, 2013 3:00 PM

South Center

300 Andover Park W Ste 200, Tukwila, WA 98188, 206-575-3965

Special Instructions

Adults and teens will have an opportunity to discuss design inspiration, learn about scale, modules and repetition in architecture and build an architectural object based on what they learn.

This is what will happen:

Lego Architecture Studio

An advanced building set of white bricks designed for architecture enthusiasts who wish create any building or landmark they can imagine. Adults and teenagers will have the opportunity to discuss design inspiration, learn about scale, modules and repetition in architecture, and build an architectural object.

Lego had it at Legoworld in Copenhagen earlier this year. It´s an assortment of parts in white that you can use to build whatever you feel like. Then there are people there to help out and discuss it with you. When you see all the models in white standing beside each other it´s really a cool thing!

Here´s a video about it:

It's going to be cool when I swap out all the trans-dark blue with trans light blue in my custom UN model. :classic:

My eyes might be deceiving me on this, but it looks like it's already trans-light blue. At least, I hope it is. ;)

Somehow the UN headquarters model looks nicer than the original. I like it! It would be even cooler if they added a "knotted gun" piece...! :laugh:

My eyes might be deceiving me on this, but it looks like it's already trans-light blue. At least, I hope it is. ;)

It's definitely trans-light blue.

Sorry, I was referring to swapping out the trans-dark blue that I used on my UN MOC that I built last year. (Yes, my version is large enough to feature the flags :classic: )

8916986995_5b72c18f89_n.jpg

Brick City by Spencer_R, on Flickr

Edited by Spencer_R

This is what will happen:

Lego Architecture Studio

An advanced building set of white bricks designed for architecture enthusiasts who wish create any building or landmark they can imagine. Adults and teenagers will have the opportunity to discuss design inspiration, learn about scale, modules and repetition in architecture, and build an architectural object.

Lego had it at Legoworld in Copenhagen earlier this year. It´s an assortment of parts in white that you can use to build whatever you feel like. Then there are people there to help out and discuss it with you. When you see all the models in white standing beside each other it´s really a cool thing!

Here´s a video about it:

That's really cool! I guess I missed that reveal earlier this year.

^There's a micro-scale CUUSOO project that looks pretty awesome for it's size...

WOW I looked it up and I want it!!! Lets hope for seeing this in the near future!

It's definitely trans-light blue.

Sorry, I was referring to swapping out the trans-dark blue that I used on my UN MOC that I built last year. (Yes, my version is large enough to feature the flags :classic: )

Ah, I should have known that you'd have a custom version already. Brilliant MOC, TLG should just buy your designs. ;)

So is the Lego architecture studio a set I can buy that just gives me white pieces, so I can build what ever I want. ?

So is the Lego architecture studio a set I can buy that just gives me white pieces, so I can build what ever I want. ?

Nope, no such set exists yet. But check out the video I linked and you´ll see the pieces they use. Otherwise just build whatever building you want using only white - cool isn´t it?

Otherwise just build whatever building you want using only white - cool isn´t it?

That's the way real architects do it! :laugh:

I know not yet. But come end of July. Is something being made to buy.

Or is it just a Barnes and Nobel event and means nothing to me up in Canada ?

21050 Architecture Studio

1210 pieces

This set should be referred to the "architecture studio" event.

21050.jpg

1210 pieces

That's an actual set? I don't see it at LEGO.com or Brickset... any more information? At over 1200 pieces it sounds expensive, especially since the architecture series seems a little bit "upscale" when it comes to pricing.

1210 pieces

21050.jpg

Where'd you find this?

-Sci

Where'd you find this?

-Sci

It's 'whung' he always finds this stuff, usually from the LEGO.com cache. :laugh:

It looks interesting, though!

I know not yet. But come end of July. Is something being made to buy.

Or is it just a Barnes and Nobel event and means nothing to me up in Canada ?

The launch events are being held at Barnes & Noble stores, but the set itself should be more widely available shortly thereafter.