GRogall

News LEGO Architecture 2013 Discusion

my daughter really wants one, but I am not sure if it will really be one of those things that she likes a lot at first but then it gets old after 3 days and goes onto the shelf never to be heard of again, I would be interested to know what TLG was going for when creating the Studio set...there really is no shortage of buildings they can do, but maybe they want to start finding the next generation of master builders?

I have some good friends in your neck of the woods Tom, might be heading that way next summer for a visit, so let's keep in touch and see if you still want to unload and we might be able to make a deal.

Herky, if you lived near me I'd give you a heck of a deal on it. :-)

I have some good friends in your neck of the woods Tom, might be heading that way next summer for a visit, so let's keep in touch and see if you still want to unload and we might be able to make a deal.

Feel free to PM each other to strike a deal, but please keep this thread on topic. Thanks.

So odd that the Fall catalog is out, with the UN Headquarters nicely displayed (price $49.99 USD), yet no hint of it on the S@H website, not even as "Coming Soon".

I don't know if I want to wait until October for double points on SOH and get this for free or use the 10% coupon now and get the Mini VWT1 and pay a couple dollars for this.

Decisions, decisions.

sorry there Rick...so to get back to it, looks like 4th Q will be UN so will the Marina Bay Sands or Eiffel Tower hit in 2013 or does anyone know if those are going to be 1st Q 2014? Any other rumors for 2014 or do we need a new thread for 2014?

rollermonkey, I think your dilemma will be solved for you since the UN is scheduled for Oct 4th is what I saw others post

just called lego. the representative said the UN building has been pushed to October 1st. but will be available then.

also they had no information on future sets.

just called lego. the representative said the UN building has been pushed to October 1st. but will be available then.

also they had no information on future sets.

Thanks for the update look forward to picking it up. What's the expected price of the United Nation's building £34.99?

I am interested in the 21050 Architecture Studio set but it looks like it's not actually available in Europe. Rumors are it will be a NA exclusive: does anyone know for sure?

I am interested in the 21050 Architecture Studio set but it looks like it's not actually available in Europe. Rumors are it will be a NA exclusive: does anyone know for sure?

Not even NA exclusive. It's USA exclusive. I can't get it in Canada. And not sure if going anywhere else. I think I read further up in the comments it's staying exclusive. But not 100% sure.

I was told at a Lego store in Canada, that they are in the process of translating the booklet into French, hence the delay in the Canadian release.

Edited by bricksare4me

Thanks for the update look forward to picking it up. What's the expected price of the United Nation's building £34.99?

The US catalogue lists it for $49.99, if that helps any.

I want the Architecture Studio set as well. I was told at a Lego store in Canada, that they are in the process of translating the booklet into French, hence the delay in the Canadian release.

Makes sense. Sets with thick, wordy booklets naturally would take longer to translate/localize, which is probably also part of the reason why LEGO Master Builder Academy has been so slow to make the leap to other countries. It makes me wonder how many different "international" variants there are of the old LEGO Studios and Mindstorms manuals.

TLG confirmed via Ambassador Forum a few days ago that Architecture Studio will be US only, and they'll only consider other markets if it does well in the States.

From Keith Severson Senior Manager of Community Support, TLG:

The Architecture Studio set is a new venture for LEGO providing an open ended building experience within a topic of Architecture. Besides of 1210 bricks and storting trays, the set includes an inspirational / educational book of 272 pages - written together with worlds famous architecture practices. The book showcase and explain the main steps of the creative process in architecture, explaining these steps through examples of the real live cases -i.e. through the stories and projects told by the Architects .

This new set is currently being offered in US only - through 400 Barnes & Noble stores and through LEGO own channels ( Brand retail and online shop) and no where else. Pending the success of this new concept LEGO will re-evalaute if it is a set to be expanded globally or discontinue.

A trip to the local LEGO store found the UN Headquarters on the shelf a few days early, and with 400+ VIP points sitting in my account...

$10 for an Architecture set, 7 days before the release date?

Yeah, of course I did.

So... I built it in about an hour, maybe 75 minutes while goofing around online.

Build quality and booklet quality are as we've come to expect from the line. Nothing too impressive in the actual build techniques apart from the General Assembly Building which has offsets that combine to form a tapered shape in increments of only 1/2 the thickness of a plate at a time.

The little antennae that represent the member nation flags are much stiffer than I remember from other sets, which made it easy to get them all aligned nicely. That was a bit of a relief as I've seen too many of those pieces that were loose and wouldn't stay in position.

(I even put them all on with the injection point in pointing the same way, lol.)

Edited by rollermonkey

So... I built it in about an hour, maybe 75 minutes while goofing around online.

Build quality and booklet quality are as we've come to expect from the line. Nothing too impressive in the actual build techniques apart from the General Assembly Building which has offsets that combine to form a tapered shape in increments of only 1/2 the thickness of a plate at a time.

The little antennae that represent the member nation flags are much stiffer than I remember from other sets, which made it easy to get them all aligned nicely. That was a bit of a relief as I've seen too many of those pieces that were loose and wouldn't stay in position.

(I even put them all on with the injection point in pointing the same way, lol.)

Hi Rollermonkey thanks for the review of the set I'm going to buy it as soon as it is released here in the UK. What size is the UN building compared to other sets is it a similar size to the white house?

Shame they didn't use a boat hull for the projecting top! I guess the model is too small.

This was the model that won the second poll they ran on the LEGO Architecture official site, so it's nice to see it's actually being produced. If memory serves me correctly, the first poll was won by Habitat 67, a much earlier work by the same architect, Moshe Safdie. But my memory is terrible. Does anyone remember? It'd be cool to have two Safdie models, although it's been a very long time since that first poll...

Do we know the release date for this? Also I assume it is mentioning contest winner or something of the sort in the silver ribbon on the right hand side, I blew up the pic but then it got too blurry.

On 9/14/2013 at 2:02 PM, Aanchir said:

Makes sense. Sets with thick, wordy booklets naturally would take longer to translate/localize, which is probably also part of the reason why LEGO Master Builder Academy has been so slow to make the leap to other countries. It makes me wonder how many different "international" variants there are of the old LEGO Studios and Mindstorms manuals.

Yes, especially booklets with technical terms, related to Architecture....my friend wants one too so i told him to go to a barnes and noble to check it out....then the thot of hauling that box in a suitcase was a turn off. :o

On 9/14/2013 at 2:44 PM, caperberry said:

TLG confirmed via Ambassador Forum a few days ago that Architecture Studio will be US only, and they'll only consider other markets if it does well in the States.

Ahhhhhhh damn it!

Edited by bricksare4me

On 8/23/2013 at 1:53 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

Maybe I just don't appreciate the modernist movement in architecture, but the Marina Bay Sands would not have made my top ten list for upcoming desired sets. I'm not really a fan of Moshe Safdie's work when it comes to translating things to Lego. It's not a criticism of his work in general (though it's not to _my_ tastes) there's nothing inherently "bad" about the original buildings, but even really good attempts by talented AFOLs at MOCing things like Habitat 67, The Peabody Essex Museum and The Kaufmann Center just didn't "pop" as great display models. I don't see why The Marina Bay Sands would be any different. I worry that it might end up looking like a child's attempt to build a short, fat cricket wicket with a few block columns and an oversized plate on top.

Again, I don't mean to debase Safdie's creations or their significance to the field of architecture in general, I just think that by the time they boil down into Lego Architecture Style builds, they don't translate into interesting display models with broad appeal to people who aren't familiar with the original structures.

I created my own version of the Marina Bay Sands hotel complete with sky deck swimming pool, but not the lit up Lotus Gardens.  I hope I took a photo at the time.  Friends of mine stayed there earlier this year - said it was amazing.