GRogall

News LEGO Architecture 2013 Discusion

Architecture student here. I dearly hope that even at 1210 pieces, it won't be as expensive as the rest of the line. It's just a nice mix of simple white pieces... isn't it? :look:1044636_10201483308750306_783199505_n.jpg

Well, that, and a sizable design inspiration book, and as an architecture student you probably know how pricey those can be. The set's going to be $150, which is about par for the course as Architecture sets go.

Wow. That's pretty steep. Where on earth do you find this info?

Just went to one of the local B&N stores to register for this, and asked about the set. He didn't know specifics, but had also heard that there was a set associated with the event.

Edited by rollermonkey

Wow. That's pretty steep. Where on earth do you find this info?

Just went to one of the local B&N stores to register for this, and asked about the set. He didn't know specifics, but had also heard that there was a set associated with the event.

I'm going to be running the Architecture Studio event at my store, but other than the price, I haven't gotten a whole lot of specifics yet. We should be getting more information within the next few weeks.

Does anyone know the color scheme of the UN Headquarters set (21018)? Those little antennas are very interesting to people bricklinking their Millennium Falcon UCS if they light bluish grey... :grin: Would be nice to see those available in the pick-a-brick section of the official Lego-shop.

No, they're white - you can see the contrast with both shades of grey elsewhere in the set.

Well, that, and a sizable design inspiration book, and as an architecture student you probably know how pricey those can be. The set's going to be $150, which is about par for the course as Architecture sets go.

I wasn't aware of the inspiration book, thanks. That might make it quite worthwhile.

The book might be worth something, but LEGO continues to lose me... $150 for mostly smallish pieces in what might be the most common color... interesting, but I'll probably pass. I even stopped buying any but the smaller architecture sets already.

The book could end up being really interesting; one of the articles said it's 250 pages, and most of that's probably given over to stuff like designer interviews and architectural history and theory since there wouldn't be much in the way of instructions. I'd imagine there will be other supplemental materials as well to account for some of the cost - this seems to be marketed much more toward architects and design enthusiasts than AFOLs (sort of along the line of the "Education" sets), so if you're just after parts, then yeah, you're better off with Bricklink or Pick-a-Brick.

I'm not just after parts, I love the architecture line - but its more of an upscale line that is just too expensive (and getting worse).

Ah, I'm with you there. I do wish they would do a few more nice simple skyscraper models in the $20 range. I checked into the UN HQ and it's listed at $50, which I'd consider a plus since I figured it'd go for $60.

I think the fancy presentation of the Architecture sets is related to their high costs. The fancy boxes and instruction manuals surely cost more money to design, write, translate, and produce than an average set's box and instruction manual.

But on another note, the Architecture sets' prices aren't universally excessive. The Robie House has a very reasonable price-per-piece by AFOL standards, even if like all Architecture sets a lot of its parts are small and basic. Same goes for Big Ben, the White House, and the Brandenburg Gate. The earliest, skyscraper-based Architecture sets tended to have the most egregious price-per-piece; since then, prices have been more forgiving, if not consistently on par with non-Architecture sets.

And of course there's the matter of perceived value. The Architecture sets are not marketed as playsets or parts packs, but rather as collectors' items, gifts, and display pieces. Even if there isn't a substantial premium on the sets for this reason, this is the very reason why the sets have so much money put into their presentation. The exception is the Architecture Studio set, which seems to have more of an emphasis on creative design and play, but it still seems like it might be presented as a luxury gift (if only by its classy-looking box and the fact that it's being sold at Barnes & Noble, a store whose non-book items tend toward that kind of pricing and appeal).

Seems to be a very good set, do someone know when it will be avalible ?

It's already been spotted in the US but official launch date is 27th I believe. I've blogged about this including a price comparison with parting-out on BL, which was surprising to me.

Yeah, someone bought it at Legoland for $149.99 and posted the pictures at Flickr...

There's a good closeup of the parts list in that flickr stream. Also, the book looks ENORMOUS, easily at least 100 pages. There are also some sorting trays/boxes in the packaging.

Apparently they only saw one at the store, but at least they shared!

I'm signed up for the event at the local BN at 6PM on Saturday. I'll let you know if they start selling these then, and if I can snag one.

Edited by rollermonkey

It just bought it at a suburban Atlanta B&N location for $149.95. If you are a B&N member you get 10% off. The 271 page book is impressive. I'm going through everything now. Feel free to ask any questions.

Okay, first impression. This probably isnt for most lego fans. It has a lot more to do with the technical nature of architecture and design. Lots of history, too. Is sort of like saying you like the TV programs Scrubs or ER and someone buys you a book on the human anatomy. There are exercises in the book using the lego bricks provided and discussions of the various components that go into designing a building. Several landmark buildings and their design are discussed. Is more like the study material that would accompany a beginning course on architecture, creativity and design. It's a long way from mini figs, Star Wars and Back to the Future. The bricks are mostly off white with some small clear ones. When I actually sit down with this and start the 271 page book, it will be more like starting an introductory class on design and architecture than it will be like staring a modular building project. Props to Lego for branching out like this, but I can see where it would be easier to sell it in a university book store rather than a Toys R Us store. And, maybe that's why the close tie to Barnes and Noble with this product (like all architecture offerings). BTW, the key to this Lego item isn't the bricks. This isn't about brick linking it for a lower cost. Is all about the very beautiful and informative 271 page book and what you can learn from it.

Update....I it see its now listed on TLG website. Enjoy!

Edited by TomLego

Wow. I can't believe I'm the first here to notice that 21050 was added to the online Lego store today as coming soon, on August 1st.

Price is as previously mentioned: $149.99 USD.

Well, the event varied greatly from location to location: Bellevue and Seattle got local college architecture professors to speak, the Woodinville and Alderwood ones were just people sitting around and building stuff with the new Studio set. Sadly, we didn't get to open a box and see the book, rather LEGO provided tubs full of the parts bags.

Edited by rollermonkey

Well, the event varied greatly from location to location: Bellevue and Seattle got local college architecture professors to speak, the Woodinville and Alderwood ones were just people sitting around and building stuff with the new Studio set. Sadly, we didn't get to open a box and see the book, rather LEGO provided tubs full of the parts bags.

The latter here for me in Eastern NC. The person in charge of our event was just a B&N worker who admitted not even playing with LEGO as a kid or adult, and the few other people that were there were mainly parents/kids building stuff. So definitely not up to par with the event description of Q&A and Discussion.

And same with the box: it was tubs/bags provided. I debated picking up the one studio box that they did have there in stock, but for the time being decided against it.

Sadly, we didn't get to open a box and see the book, rather LEGO provided tubs full of the parts bags.

So stupid of them; the book is a major selling point!