GRogall

News LEGO Architecture 2013 Discusion

It does look more in line (than Pisa tower) with the other architecture sets of big building (ESB,...). It was showcased next to The Imperial Hotel at Nuremberg.

Wakwak

Sounds promising! While I love the detail of some of the bigger sets, I've been hoping we'd also see more massing-model-style sets along the lines of the first few Landmark buildings.

Are you able to name a source for the picture you linked to? :look:

Edit: forget I asked! The imageshack page belongs to 'darkage1990'. Here's the pic:

med_gallery_6705_159_19488.jpg

Well looks like the set # for this is going to be 21015 which means the Eames House has been canceled! :sick:

But I don' know why they bother, the competition is making a better version then this!?

Guess "Det bedste er ikke for godt" is not going to apply here..........

376980043_986.jpg

Edited by GRogall

Well looks like the set # for this is going to be 21015 which means the Eames House has been canceled! :sick:

But I don' know why they bother, the competition is making a better version then this!? (snip...)

I can't say I'd be upset if Eames House (or the long-rumored Habitat 67) didn't happen. Other than the FLW kits, the Modernist offerings have been some of my least favorite of the Architecture line; more for the over simplicity and blockiness of the models than any issue with the school of design (with respect to FLW, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the Imperial Hotel).

That said, if the preview of the Tower of Pisa is accurate, I'm afraid this kit falls into the same trap as the Big Ben kit. It's the wrong scale for what it's trying to be. If it were really tiny (like the one over at CuuSoo) I think most people would forgive the lack of detail, call it a cute little kit, build it and move on. If it were a little bigger (as your shot of the knock-off kit seems to show) it could be a nice display piece. But rendered as is, it just doesn't feel right - like the clock faces protruding from the tower in the official Big Ben set - it's too big to forgive the lack of detail and too small to help you see past the artifacts of the blocks themselves.

Of course as a marketing move, it's probably perfect. I wound up buying TWO Big Ben sets to MOD them into a single, proper-looking model. I'll probably end up doing the same thing here, spending more money to get the look i want than I would have if they'd just done a better job in-house.

I was really excited about the rumors of an Eames House set - if ever there were a building that perfectly embodies the design principles of the LEGO brick, this is it. And it's certainly well-known and admired among the target demographic for the Architect Series, so it would have been guaranteed an audience. Unless some insurmountable licensing issue came up with the Eames Foundation or something, I'm honestly baffled as to why the set was canceled. Maybe I'll put together a Cuusoo proposal for one to see if TLG could be persuaded to revisit the idea.

The zombie page that got the rumor started is still lurching around, by the way...

But I don' know why they bother, the competition is making a better version then this!?

I wouldn't give Wange's design group too much credit. In fact, they've shamelessly copied a lot from my Burj Al Arab and Taipei 101 models.

Edited by Spencer_R

Look out for the Johnson Wax Headquarters set. I saw a picture of it at the gift shop back in September last year, with a note saying that it will be released sometime this year.

Edited by teohwp85

Look out for the Johnson Wax Headquarters set. I saw a picture of it at the gift shop back in September last year, with a note saying that it will be released sometime this year.

That could be interesting. Wonder how they will make the round corners:

256px-Administration_Building_and_Research_Tower%3B_Johnson_Wax_Headquarters%3B_Racine%2C_Wisconsin%3B_June_9%2C_2012.JPG

Administration Building and Research Tower; Johnson Wax Headquarters; Racine, Wisconsin; June 9, 2012 [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommo...enses/by-sa/3.0)], von Stephen Matthew Milligan (Eigenes Werk), vom Wikimedia Commons

edit: no idea why implementing wikicommons does not work here (it works fine in the WYSIWYG editor). Just click on the link.

Edited by PsyKater

I purchased the Imperial Hotel and can't wait for a rainy day to build it. I love the architecture series because there are so many wonderful historical buildings that need to be built. And these sets give us a lot of ideas about how to do it. The packaging is really first class, too. Granted some have better design than others, but at least TLG is trying and providing some variety from different countries. Architecture is such a fascinating subject that it makes us dream of what is possible.....what can we build next. That is the legacy of LEGO.

Edited by Legogal

Added HR official images of

21015 Leaning Tower of Pisa

and a small picture of

21018 United Nations Headquarters

to first post!

Enjoy :classic::classic::classic:

Thanks GRogall! The UN Building looks great. I wonder if they'll include flags!

Wow! This one is really more impressive than the leaning tower of Pisa in my own idea. I wish to visit this site one day, now that the renovation (2009-2013) are nearly over. I really like all those flagpoles and that blue curtain wall. It made it all. The center place looks great. Waiting for more views!

Any idea of release dates for Pisa or UN? I'm caught up to the Architecture series and would like to stay that way.

Also: can anyone link me to the CUUSOO Pisa?

I have been a recurrent reader of Eurobricks since 2005 and keep up to date on everything that gets posted here even though I no longer collect LEGO. I still have a really big LEGO Star Wars collection (Of around +120 sets) but all of them are cleanly and safely packed for the future now. I stopped collecting as my cinephile heart started growing (Along my current DVD/BD Collection) and will study both Political Sciences and Filmmaking in the near future. I just wanted to make a little introduction in case anybody hear remembered me from those good old days (I stopped posting around 2009). I plan to start collecting LEGO Architecture now because the line is incredibly appealing to me and each set brings a huge smile to my face. This thread is usually quite lonely but with the latest reveal of the UN Headquarters set I finally decided to get back into the community and start posting on this thread. I have to admit I own none of the Architecture sets but plan on getting them all eventually. Any good place to start? Also, any upcoming sets that might have been heavily rumored? I wish the Architecture line starts opening up to a wider spectrum of buildings. There are many emblematic buildings around the world that have the potential of making many more great sets.

Edited by darkrebellion

Start with the older sets, as they simply may be retired at any time.

I actually called the John Hancock Building gift shop to see if they had any leftovers since the 21001 model had been retired, and the reply I got was that they were trying to get it un-retired sometime this year.

I simply downloaded the instructions and bought the pieces through pick-a-brick. It was cheaper, but I don't have any of the packaging or the in-set-only nameplate piece.

My favorites have been the larger ones, and the Burj is probably the most boring to build.

Start with the older sets, as they simply may be retired at any time.

I actually called the John Hancock Building gift shop to see if they had any leftovers since the 21001 model had been retired, and the reply I got was that they were trying to get it un-retired sometime this year.

I simply downloaded the instructions and bought the pieces through pick-a-brick. It was cheaper, but I don't have any of the packaging or the in-set-only nameplate piece.

My favorites have been the larger ones, and the Burj is probably the most boring to build.

That's interesting because I was about to buy the pieces for the John Hancock set myself as it's the only one I can't get (well, I don't have the Sears Tower set but the Willis Tower instead) and as you say the pieces are quite cheap and I can live without the nameplate piece. However, if there's a chance it will get re-released I might hold off. It's not like I will have trouble building it from scratch in the future if it doesn't happen.

I called them last Summer. I'm not sure, but don't think there's been any rumors since then that it is coming back.

In other words, don't hold your breath waiting. :grin:

I called them last Summer. I'm not sure, but don't think there's been any rumors since then that it is coming back.

In other words, don't hold your breath waiting. :grin:

Hmm, not hard or expensive to get the pieces, so maybe I'll tag them on to another order at some point. Thanks for the info.

The UN Building looks nice and I would buy it. I am not a big fan of the Tower of Pisa but may buy it down the road since I am a completest.

I just found out about a new product coming out soon called LEGO Architecture Studio. I don't have much info about what the set itself contains, but it sounds like it could be an updated version of the "Scale Model" sets of the early '60's (presumably with a wider range of parts). Select Barnes & Noble stores will be holding a launch event for it the weekend of July 26-29.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I work for B&N. So I'll have more info soon, but can't guarantee I'll be allowed to share it.

Edited by Tragic Banjo

I just found out about a new product coming out soon called LEGO Architecture Studio. I don't have much info about what the set itself contains, but it sounds like it could be an updated version of the "Scale Model" sets of the early '60's (presumably with a wider range of parts). Select Barnes & Noble stores will be holding a launch event for it the weekend of July 26-29.

A quick Google search found me this.

-Sci