Sign in to follow this  
Sir von Lego

[MOC] Mos Espa Podrace - Layout from Fanwelt Cologne 2012

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi,

finally, I am back at home from the LEGO Fanwelt 2012 in Cologne, Germany.

It was a fantastic event with tons of excellent LEGO creations from collectors all around the world.

I want to present you my finished layout from Episode 1, Boonta Eve Classic.

Please note that due to lack of time I couldn't build all the 18 podracers, but most of them. The rest (and also some improvement on the whole layout) will follow in the next months/years.

Facts:

Building time: around two years

Minifigs: about 2,000

Bricks: no idea

Size: 6x10 48x48 baseplates

Now, here is a link to a 2min video of my layout, enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjX1YlExdrI

And some pictures:

Overview of the layout/ starting grid:

boonta_eve_classic_-_starting_grid_004.jpg

http://www.eurobrick...o=new_post&f=86boonta_eve_classic_-_starting_grid_002.jpg

Jabbas Balcony:

boonta_eve_classic_-_jabbas_balcony_001.jpg

Wattos Box:

http://www.eurobrick...o=new_post&f=86boonta_eve_classic_-_wattos_box_001.jpg

And the podracers:

Aldar Beedo:

boonta_eve_classic_-_aldar_beedo_001.jpg

Gasgano:

boonta_eve_classic_-_gasgano_001.jpg

Dud Bolt:

boonta_eve_classic_-_dud_bolt_001.jpg

Boles Roor:

boonta_eve_classic_-_boles_roor_001.jpg

Clegg Holdfast:

boonta_eve_classic_-_clegg_holdfast_001.jpg

Ebe Endocott:

boonta_eve_classic_-_ebe_endocott_001.jpg

Mawhonic:

boonta_eve_classic_-_mawhonic_001.jpg

Ody Mandrell:

boonta_eve_classic_-_ody_mandrell_001.jpg

There will be tons of fotos in my brickshelf gallery, please visit and take a look soon: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=503904

Let me know what you think about it.

Thank you!

greetings Hendrik

Very cool scene! The pods are all great and the stadium is outstanding! I feel like I've seen the stadium before? :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cracking stuff Sir von Lego, this is a truly superior MOC in both quality & size!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I can't begin to imagine how many hours you must have spent building this, or the size of the Bricklink orders! Are you going to make it any bigger, or just add more detail?

This Scene is so huge.

You can't really realize that from the pictures.

I proudly put the roof of the main tower on top together with Hendrik at the Fanwelt, and just the one roof part was "so" heavy.

Very, very outstanding!

@Hendrik - Did you get all the dust off your MOC? I was cleaning my little hangar for about 30 minutes...

I don't want to think about your amount of time for cleaning your parts...

Spacie

Hi Hendrik! You did (another) great MOC there. Only thing I wondered was: Why did you put it in front of a pillar? :wacko:

Simply awesome Sir Von Lego. It's good to see you finally (still partly finished) finish the pod race scene. The stadium is so packed it almost looks like a still from the movie. Well done, it shows 2 years of hard work. It would be lovely to see this in person to get a closer look.

This looks fantastic! :wub: One of the few scenes that make that movie bearable and you have done a splendid job recreating it. Makes me sad I could not be in Cologne for this event, maybe next year. Have you included any easter eggs in this MOC? I always love to see small jokes build into huge creations like this.

Great googly moogly!!! Superb work my friend, a lot of detail. What did you use to design it? Did you use LDD, some other digital designer, or just free hand it?

Great googly moogly!!! Superb work my friend, a lot of detail. What did you use to design it? Did you use LDD, some other digital designer, or just free hand it?

I watched the film several times and tried to find as many pictures around the web as possible.

But I didn't use LDD or anything else, just bricks and pictures..(-;

This Scene is so huge.

You can't really realize that from the pictures.

I proudly put the roof of the main tower on top together with Hendrik at the Fanwelt, and just the one roof part was "so" heavy.

Very, very outstanding!

@Hendrik - Did you get all the dust off your MOC? I was cleaning my little hangar for about 30 minutes...

I don't want to think about your amount of time for cleaning your parts...

Spacie

Hope we will join many events like this together in the future! Thanks again for your help...(-;

The roof is still in my car, cannot carry it alone..

I put some effort in cleaning the bricks, at the moment they are well packed still in Cologne..

This looks fantastic! :wub: One of the few scenes that make that movie bearable and you have done a splendid job recreating it. Makes me sad I could not be in Cologne for this event, maybe next year. Have you included any easter eggs in this MOC? I always love to see small jokes build into huge creations like this.

Thank you! No "easter eggs" in this MOC. I put some in my Endor Layout two years ago.. Perhaps it's time to create some for this scene? (-;

Hi Hendrik! You did (another) great MOC there. Only thing I wondered was: Why did you put it in front of a pillar? :wacko:

Hmm, that's a good question. I wanted the croud (mostly AFOLS and kids) to enter the Fanwelt and walk directly to the Podrace scene. I could have built it right the other way round, but they would've walked to a "dusty tan wall", nothing special from behind..

Good answer. I would have turned it 90° towards the entrance.

Many people (like all that came by train) entered through the back door anyways.

I saw you in Cologne last Saturday and it was the best and most impressive creation there! The size and amount of bricks is sow huge!

Very impressive work! :thumbup:

This is the kind of stuff I show my wife when she says I buy too much Lego... ' It could be worse, honey... '

Really stunning MOC, and excellent eye for detail.

... But what happened to your video?

The sheer size of this project is impressive all on its own, but it's not just quantity. Looking more closely at the individual parts of the scene, they are all very high quality builds as well. Kudos for finishing this mammoth project, the end result is awe inspiring! :thumbup: